Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C-Rock

'Classie' Freddie Blassie

I have just finished reading the autobiography of 'Classie' Freddie Blassie and I couldn't praise or recommend that book anymore if I tried. It's a brilliant read.

Freddie tells his story with warmth, humour and passion. You get a real sense of his love for the wrestling business. He doesn't pull punches on naming the guys he disliked and didn't get along with but that is totally over shadowed by the amount of respect and praise he gives to the guys he did get a long with such as Nikoli Volkoff, Andre the Giant (some very funny storys) and suprisingly Andy Kaufman who Freddie had a very close relationship with right upto the actor/comedians death.

I have a new found respect for a legend who I knew very little about. I remember clearly being in attendence at WWE Insurrextion 2003 in Newcastle and before the show kicked off they aired a promo of rememberance for Freddie who sadly at that time had recently passed away. If I had known then what I'd known now about a man who I now consider the King of Pro-Wrestling I would have remained on my feet much longer than I did during the standing ovation that occured that night.

Freddie tells an incredible, inspiring and uplifting story. He explains the background and behind the scenes stuff that took place around the time of Inoki v Ali...Ali was scared that Inoki would injure him! he talks about causing riots when he worked at the Olympic Auditorium for the LeBell's and his hilarious ribs.

There's comments threw out the book from wrestling stars of yesterday that are interesting to read also.

I have just started reading the autobiography of Gorgeous George which is wrote is wrote totally by somebody else, so far its a fun read but I highly doubt its going to beat Freddie's book.

I love to read about really old school-wrestling from the 50's 60's upto the 80's I love reading about the Carnival days and Ed 'Strangler' Lewis, Frank Gotch, George Hackenschmidt, Lou Thesz to reading about the wild 70's and 80's and the early NWA and the days of the territorys, I find it really interesting. I can't see the appeal of reading the autobiography of Batista or someone like that who is probably as deep as a glass of water and has as bout as much an interesting story than the Cat in the Hat.

For anyone wanting an account of the wrestling business and what it was like in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's told from the stand point of a hugely influential person during that time who sold out arena's around the world then this is the book for you!

I'd always recommend getting hold of a copy of "Whatever Happened to Gorgeous George?" I'm sure there are tonnes of factual errors in there, but in all it's a great read about the earlier days of wrestling (it was written in the mid 70s) by a wonderful sportswriter called Joe Jares.

I'd be interested to know if the Bruiser Brody biography and either of Forrest Griffin's books are any good, if anyone here has read them?