Re introducing friends into WWE

spikester

He likes it, but pretends he doesnt. Like most Dads probably. Most of his comments were "is he still wrestling" and "your Mam used to have a dressing gown like that" when Ric Flair came on. I remember them pissing themselves laughing when Lawler and JR came on screen, because they'd been commentating for years and they assumed it was all change.

My Dad still loves and regularly watches the old WoS stuff. And despite obviously knowing the truth about wrestling, seems to drift into his 1970s kayfabe world when watching it. "Did you see that? Tally Ho Kay right behind the ref's back. Go on, hurt the fucker". And he gets all excited when the blue eyes go over, bless him. It's even funnier when he gets stressed out over villain antics though.

He fucking hated Ric Flair with a passion when we used to watch old WWF back in the day, back when he convinced me Powers of Pain changed their name to Legion of Doom.

Dads and wrestling. It's a wonderful thing. They all pretend not to like it but do really. I've caught him watching Smackdown in the afternoons and he used to watch Impact if I was watching it because it was on. Once he got past calling everyone a poof and laughing at Rob Terry's hair he used to enjoy it despite himself. He actively despises anyone who he thinks he'd have given a winding to in his late 70s heyday of a man around Llan, and calls cruiserweights "Jessies" and things like that.

He did actually really enjoy ECW when he first saw it on Bravo in 98. Johnny Smith vs Taz which he declared "The real deal, that". Then it was something like Hack Meyers vs Devon Storm or something equally unagreeable and it was back to "Shite, that. How the fuck can you watch them shirtlifters?".

Some classic observations from my Dad

On Christopher Daniels

"Who is this degenerate"

On Rey Mysterio

"He is great, what a acrobat"

On CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy

"Why are they booing Punk, he is in the right if the other one got suspended"

On Mr Anderson

"He is in his forties he is"

On Sting

"Is that Eddie Guerrero under a mask, told you he was not dead son"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My dad's an occasional watcher too, his favourite wrestler is Batista, proper loved him, his favourite before that was Goldberg, and he welled up when Shawn Michaels gave his retirement speech, I never expected that in a million years, he's as tough as old boots. Can't remember any of his lines unfortunately but he thinks Mark Henry is the ugliest man ever.

I sat uncomfortably round my mate's watching a Summerslam as my mate's dad said 'he wants to feed him a banana, don't he?' when Kofi Kingston was wrestling.

My dad got me up for a chokeslam after a Smackdown in 2002 where Big Show was main eventing. I remember him laughing at some angle with Mae Young coming out as a surprise 'diva' for something. He argued my case that the Walls of Jericho would be painful to my sister too when she said it looked lame.

My dad had the usual "it's all fake" attitude the whole time I was growing up and yet now every time I see him (bearing in mind I watch virtually no wrestling at all anymore) he's trying to tell me about what happened on TNA that week. He still tries to keep up the pretense of not liking/enjoying it by saying it's my mum who watches it but she's never said a word about it. I remember him trying to explain a Ric Flair/Mick Foley promo to me and it went something like "Ric Flair looked like he was on something. He started doing wrestling moves to a book and then they both hit themselves until they were bleeding. Fuckin' idiots"

My dad had the usual "it's all fake" attitude the whole time I was growing up and yet now every time I see him (bearing in mind I watch virtually no wrestling at all anymore) he's trying to tell me about what happened on TNA that week. He still tries to keep up the pretense of not liking/enjoying it by saying it's my mum who watches it but she's never said a word about it. I remember him trying to explain a Ric Flair/Mick Foley promo to me and it went something like "Ric Flair looked like he was on something. He started doing wrestling moves to a book and then they both hit themselves until they were bleeding. Fuckin' idiots"

Just had a flash back of coming back from Scout's summer camp, and my Dad picking me up and going into a embarrassing spiel about what happened at SummerSlam and getting half the names wrong... in front of all the other scouts. Thanks for the spoilers Dad... and thanks for telling "the cool kids" I watched wrestling.

Annoyingly the shits who ribbed me for liking wrestling would go on to become fans during the attitude era. Fickle gits.

Archived