Re introducing friends into WWE

spikester

Basically got a couple of friend coming around for the Rumble and two of them haven't watched WWE since the attitude era, they want me to show them a few good matches before the event that'd get them looking forward to the rumble and introducing them to the current batch of WWE guys.

Now i'm not exactly unbiased, i'd just be showing them Taker and HBK matches so my question to you guys, what matches over the past few years would you recommend to get the casual fan to get them excited from the rumble?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I watched WrestleMania 24 with my Dad and Brother a few years ago. It was the first time since Kwang vs Adam Bomb on Superstars that we'd all watched wrestling together. There was some class matches on there for the casual or former fan. Edge vs Undertaker was a belter. Michaels vs Flair were to recognisable names with a lot of drama. You had the Giant vs the boxer. Finlay vs JBL was stiff as shit as well. I remember all of us thinking it was blinding. Strangely enough, Edge, Undertaker, Michaels, Flair, JBL and Finlay are long gone, and if there place there isnt enough strong characters these days.

Saying that, this years WrestleMania should provide the goods for the casual or old viewer. Especially if the rumoured card of Cena vs Rock, Triple H vs Undertaker with Michaels as the ref, Shaq vs Big Show happens. Flair might even be there, if WWE does a talent exchange with TNA.

• Paid Members

He likes it, but pretends he doesnt. Like most Dads probably. Most of his comments were "is he still wrestling" and "your Mam used to have a dressing gown like that" when Ric Flair came on. I remember them pissing themselves laughing when Lawler and JR came on screen, because they'd been commentating for years and they assumed it was all change.

Wrestlemania 24 was a blinding card. Certainly in my top five cards ever.

Which brings me onto my recommendation - Wrestlemania X7. Sit them down to watch this disc. There's Rock, Austin, 'Taker, Trips, Dudleyz, Hardyz, Vince, Shane. You name it, they're on it, and they're all in top form.

The three-way tag TLC is a blinder and can be enjoyed by even the most anti-grap persons. Shane/Vince is a classic from two semi-workers. Taker and Trips is good enough and The Rock and Steve Austin go at it in one of the all-time great encounters. It also features the legendary "My Way" hype video prior to the main event.

Yeah, if you're in need of something to whet their appetite, go with Wrestlemania X7.

Also, you could show them the Elimination Chamber which featured Goldberg but tell them that the disc breaks just before the ending.

Wrestlemania 24 was a blinding card. Certainly in my top five cards ever.

Which brings me onto my recommendation - Wrestlemania X7. Sit them down to watch this disc. There's Rock, Austin, 'Taker, Trips, Dudleyz, Hardyz, Vince, Shane. You name it, they're on it, and they're all in top form.

The three-way tag TLC is a blinder and can be enjoyed by even the most anti-grap persons. Shane/Vince is a classic from two semi-workers. Taker and Trips is good enough and The Rock and Steve Austin go at it in one of the all-time great encounters. It also features the legendary "My Way" hype video prior to the main event.

Yeah, if you're in need of something to whet their appetite, go with Wrestlemania X7.

Also, you could show them the Elimination Chamber which featured Goldberg but tell them that the disc breaks just before the ending.

The thing is, this isn't really introducing his friends to the current stars. I'd say get them to watch any of this years PPVs post Wrestlemania. Especially anything from Money in the Bank to Survivor Series.

• Paid Members

My Dad still loves and regularly watches the old WoS stuff. And despite obviously knowing the truth about wrestling, seems to drift into his 1970s kayfabe world when watching it. "Did you see that? Tally Ho Kay right behind the ref's back. Go on, hurt the fucker". And he gets all excited when the blue eyes go over, bless him. It's even funnier when he gets stressed out over villain antics though.

He fucking hated Ric Flair with a passion when we used to watch old WWF back in the day, back when he convinced me Powers of Pain changed their name to Legion of Doom.

Archived