The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I started off with Jaws at number 1 but then bumped it down a couple of places for others.

Robert Shaw is just fantastic. :love: Jaws isn't even the best film he's in...but I'm sure that will come higher on the list.

Edited by martyngnr

• Paid Members

I still have to smile to myself when I think of the "combing the desert" and "jamming the radar" gags in Spaceballs. Perfect spoof materials. I'd have to agree with Chokeout though on Young Frankenstein being his best, with Saddles second. Robin Hood: Men in Tights is always worth a laugh too

• Paid Members
Did you vote, Chokers? I was looking forward to your selection.

I didn't, I'm terrible at limiting a top 10 so I've given up trying

Would people have preferred doing 20? I did consider it but I think people might have run into the same problems of knowing what to leave out.

I was considering doing this poll again next year (as long as I don't cark it, obviously) and try and make it an annual thing so if I do I might make it a 20 then.

You forgot Young Frankenstein which is as perfect as a spoof can get.

Brooks also produced The Elephant Man, The guy knows a good script when he reads it.

Ive not actually seen Young Frankenstein iirc, it is about the only Brooks film I havent. I have a real soft spot for History of the World Pt 1, Miracle The Wonder Horse, and the Spanish Inquisition are wonderful.

Jaws, is a pretty meh film for me, it never clicked, even watching it a bunch of times during uni.it was/is the first 'blockbuster' movie, it doesnt grab me with any real gusto. I can see why people like it, its just not for me.

• Paid Members

SHIT. All this Robert Shaw talk has made me realise a film that would definitely have been in my list - The Taking Of Pelham 123. Absolute arsebuckets.

Eh, no other bugger nominated it anyway, so it doesn't matter, I suppose.

• Paid Members
SHIT. All this Robert Shaw talk has made me realise a film that would definitely have been in my list - The Taking Of Pelham 123. Absolute arsebuckets.

Eh, no other bugger nominated it anyway, so it doesn't matter, I suppose.

Shaw is great in that film but people always forget just how amazing Walter Matthau's performance is. Im gonna rewatch that tonight, not seen it in a fair few years

• Paid Members

Back To The Future (1985)

Back_to_the_future.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 8.4

What's it about?

Michael J Fox gets sent back in time by Christopher Lloyd, and his mum wants to have it off with him. Oh go on, Mike, knock yourself out. It is Lea Thompson after all.

What do we say?

As reliable a film as any to just be able to stick on at any time and have a really good time, there is very little about Back To The Future (and its sequels) that isn't just delightful, although I am left saddened looking at how good Robert Zemeckis used to be. What the hell happened to that guy?

But we're not here to pick holes in its director's recent to semi-recent career, we need answers as to why it's so good. niff?

"This one is more about nostalgia but it made a time travel/science fiction story fun for everyone."

It's a good point well put. It showed that time travel in films didn't have to be boiled down to precise maths and science because nobody should really give a crap about that because it can't be done anyway, can it? Just send him back in time and let us enjoy the pratfalls that are bound to ensue. And that's precisely what they did. They don't overdo the culture-clash comedy too much, just reigning it in enough so that it doesn't become overbearing.

It was, of course, the film that launched the great (and he is great) Michael J Fox to superstardom and on a cracking run of films that would make him one of the biggest names in Hollywood for at least a decade, but it also finally showed that Christopher Lloyd COULD cut it in films after several disappointing post-Taxi outings, and of course coaxed excellent support from Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover.

It's just great, and I haven't got a bad word to say about it, really. I can't imagine anyone arguing against its place on the list.

Some good bits!

"SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!"

"Your uncle Joey didn't make parole again!"

"My name is Darth Vader!"