The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

Grosse Pointe Blank would have been in my top 20 I reckon. Good choice, great film. Here's what I said about it at the time -

Only joking! I'm not sure we really need Pat and Woy's reviews c&p for every film either ;)

I'm afraid that I completely fell in love with Minnie Driver in this film to the point that, even though I know she's not this good in anything else I still fancy her. Has the director even made another film since? It's just going to be one of those annoying one-off films that leave you with a craving for more that is never fulfilled. It also serves to remind one that Akroyd was still young enough to have done a Ghostbusters at around this time, but they didn't. So, bittersweet film in all.

Another here for putting in my top 20 for Grosse Point Blank, from haggling over the price of a loaner gun in a shoot out scene to Joan Cusack's, sarcastic kick ass secretary, its good fun all the way through.

'10 Years', got used at my college reunion a few years back, though it went completely over their heads, the bastards.

As for Minnie Driver, she is a bit of an enigma in terms of films, from memory she is pretty decent in Sleepers, and in the Riches with Eddie Izzard, but not a great deal else. Its still weird seeing her pop up in Goldeneye as well. I think George Armitage has only done one more film as a director since and that's an Elmore Leonard adaptation but Ill be jiggered if I can remember the name of it.

I wont do the C&P stuff Loki, hows that?

• Paid Members

^ The Big Bounce, Pat.

46=

Alien (1979)

Alien_poster_1979_cut.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 8.5

What's it about?

All hell breaks loose for Sigourney Weaver and friends during tea-time a few days after John Hurt discovers some suspicious eggs on a planet's surface. He should have tried free range.

What do we say?

Although almost certainly overshadowed by its extraordinary sequel, Alien's place in movie history is secure and unlikely to slip.

It's perhaps unfairly remembered for THAT scene where Hurt discovers that it's going to take more than a few Tums to take away this indigestion more than anything else, but right the way through it is a claustrophobic and brilliantly paced suspense thriller and horror film that at all times manages to maintain a sense of dread.

I think people also forget that this was Ridley Scott's second film only and a massive step up from his debut, the low budget historical drama The Duellists. In that regard, it is an incredible achievement as well as a truly outstanding film. He is helped out by an experienced and reliable cast that was unlikely to drop the ball.

Hurt and Ian Holm hold up the British end sublimely, Weaver nails her first decent sized role with no problem at all, while Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright, the great Yaphet Kotto and the greater Harry Dean Stanton are the types of actors that will never let you down in support.

If you haven't felt a significant amount of excitement about the upcoming Prometheus, stick this on again. It should shake the apathy out of you.

Some good bits!

Come on, Hurty, just walk it off.

Don't nod off yet, Ripley....

I didn't vote for Alien but I did vote for the sequel which IMO is better but it's a completely different type of film. Alien is a masterpiece of suspense though and I never tire watching it, even though the Mrs won't go anywhere near the DVD boxes never mind the actual films. The big jessie. Still would have expected this to come in a bit higher though.

• Moderators
Only joking! I'm not sure we really need Pat and Woy's reviews c&p for every film either ;)

soz 4 the opinionz :(

I'm another one who voted for Aliens, but not its predecessor. I suspect from Gladstone's comments, that Aliens will place pretty highly. Not that Alien isn't awesome, of course, although I'm surprised there's no mention of one of the all-time great women in their underwear scenes.

• Paid Members

Glad Alien made it in. Add me to the list of people who prefer the sequel, although again neither made my top 10. The Hurt scene has been parodied so many times now that it's easy to forget just how fucking terrifying it was at the time, it was one of those films I saw probably way younger than I should have done, and that scene freaked me out for a long time afterward

• Paid Members
I never voted for Aliens because I knew you guys would secure that shit.

What is it with you nutters and tactical voting? It's not the effing general election, you know!

I never voted for Aliens because I knew you guys would secure that shit.

What is it with you nutters and tactical voting? It's not the effing general election, you know!

He always was an asshole, Gladstone.

Glad to see this, but surprisingly low. Would have been in my Top 20 again, though I'm starting to suspect I might say that about 50 times in this thread ;) If you can get hold of the "Director's Cut" that Ridley did for the boxset, do. It's better, and uniquely for a Director's Cut it's actually shorter than the original even with extra scenes.

As big a fan as I am of the sequel, I reckon this is better, in that it's a pure horror film, and everything about the art, sound etc. is designed for horror. In the sequel Cameron refactored the franchise for action, which was cool and mightily impressive, but I just think it works better as horror. That's why large parts of Alien3 are so good, they tried to get back to the horror.

Never really found Ripley attractive. Newt, however...

See, I'm the other way around. I enjoy Alien but I think Aliens is a better film all round. To me, the best part of the first is before the chest buster because you get a fantastically realised universe and then the intrigue of them finding this thing and trying to work out what it is, but when it escapes, it just seems like a typical - though amazingly done - slasher. I get that's a retroactive thing and that's a big sign of how influential it is but it just doesn't really work for me in the way Aliens does.

• Paid Members

Aliens is the best film ever. I say so.

Anyone who says they saw this one coming....is a liar.

=44

Bloodsport (1988)

Bloodsport.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 6.3

What's it about?

Jean-Claude Van Damme goes AWOL to participate in a martial arts tournament. The army goes after him. That's about it, really.

What do we say?

You know, Van Damme has done a fair few more genuinely really good films than I think people realise. In the early to mid nineties he barely put a foot wrong, reeling off the likes of Universal Soldier, Hard Target, Timecop and Sudden Death almost one after another.

But Bloodsport was his breakthrough film, following up the hype generated by No Retreat, No Surrender and his turn as 'Gay Karate Man' in Monaco Forever. Seriously though, it was an exciting breakthrough film that garnered him serious notice - not an easy trick to pull off considering that Stallone and Schwarzenegger were at the height of their powers.

Bloodsport is not much more than the sum of its parts, let's face it. The acting is awful, even from Forest Whitaker, and there is practically no plot. It doesn't matter a jot, though, and while I personally think Hard Target is his best film by quite some distance, and it has dated really quite badly in places, it's still a good quality action romp and the 90 minutes fly by.

Also, Kumite. *giggles*

FULL MOVIE LINK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8inuAZQWa4

Some good bits!

"Mmm hmm."

"Now I break you!"

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members

I loved this film till someone in the MMA thread posted the truth about Frank Dux, now the film doesn't have the same magic anymore. For the record I'm on the Aliens side of the coin, hated Scott Pilgrim & just realised I forgot to put Jaws in my top 10.

I loved this film till someone in the MMA thread posted the truth about Frank Dux, now the film doesn't have the same magic anymore. For the record I'm on the Aliens side of the coin, hated Scott Pilgrim & just realised I forgot to put Jaws in my top 10.

Unlucky. I had to bump Point Break to get Jaws in. Fucking tough call that one was.

Also who voted Bloodsport as their number 1 film?