The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

The main reason I went veggie was because I do stuff for animals charities in my spare time and I felt guilty and hypocritical going down the shelter to pat Mittens or Fido on the head before chowing down on half a pound of bacon. I wouldn't dare dream of killing a dog to eat and yet pigs are also really relatively clever for example. 

While I'm not eating fish, it would probably make more sense from my wanky ethical standpoint because they are significantly less intelligent. I'm not intending to though because basically I just feel guilty about harming other animals when I don't really need to. I'm still a total hypocrite, because I'll undoubtedly be out in the garden with the ant-nuker this Summer.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I don't think that makes you a hypocrite at all, quite the opposite really! Everyone has to draw their own line somewhere I think. I get what you mean about the fish situation and I think that is probably where i would land on it. Fair play to you for standing by your convictions and doing something. I always find people's logic and motivations for a big change like that really interesting, and the variety of different reasons is so incredibly wide ranging, that everyone has their own reason, and their own set of guidelines to what they will or won't eat. 

Also, from a purely selfish point of view, I have a number of veggie and vegan mates so your adventure on this path, and posts in this thread will only likely give me more recipe ideas to blindly claim are my own when I cook them for said friends.  :)

• Paid Members

I'd fry the onion, carrot and garlic together until tender, and simmer the potatoes in water separately before adding them to the other pan. They'll take aaaaages to soften just from frying. Then add the tomatoes and spinach, lid on and let the spinach wilt down (will take less than five minutes).

Gotta love a "mum's recipe".

Normally that's what I'd do when assembling a curry, was always taught that the onion has to be nicely browned before you do anything else, and the spice she have to be fried off too. Chest's mum seems to just bung it all in th epressure cooker and let it boil. This may be the secret to this particular recipe. I've always been one to brown meat off when making chilli. Ate an awesome one the other week that was all just bunged in a pot and cooked. Didn't know this before I ate it, and still trying to exctract the full list of ingredients.

• Awards Moderator

I'd fry the onion, carrot and garlic together until tender, and simmer the potatoes in water separately before adding them to the other pan. They'll take aaaaages to soften just from frying. Then add the tomatoes and spinach, lid on and let the spinach wilt down (will take less than five minutes).

Gotta love a "mum's recipe".

Normally that's what I'd do when assembling a curry, was always taught that the onion has to be nicely browned before you do anything else, and the spice she have to be fried off too. Chest's mum seems to just bung it all in th epressure cooker and let it boil. This may be the secret to this particular recipe. I've always been one to brown meat off when making chilli. Ate an awesome one the other week that was all just bunged in a pot and cooked. Didn't know this before I ate it, and still trying to exctract the full list of ingredients.

Pressure cooker's very different to pots and pans though. It'll force the temperature very high which you can't get on the hob. Pressure cookers are a staple of the Indian kitchen so it's no surprise it's assembled this way.

• Paid Members

True, I'm spoilt in that I have one and am just used to it by now and the convenience of it. Ribs start to finish in an hour last night, finished under the grill to get caramelisation, tender as anything.

• Paid Members

True, I'm spoilt in that I have one and am just used to it by now and the convenience of it. Ribs start to finish in an hour last night, finished under the grill to get caramelisation, tender as anything.

Aye. I would, and have previously recommended the Instant pot. Costs about £90 on a good Amazon day and worth every penny for pressure cooking

• Paid Members

Unfortunately didn't get a chance to. Had a stag do on Saturday and a Mother's Day dinner on Sunday. Gonna give it a shot this weekend coming, I think.

• Paid Members

I bought an Uuni 3 pizza oven at the weekend, haven't had a chance to use it yet as I don't have any dough ready. I think my life will be complete if I can get it working as designed.

They look amazing. Where did you get it from?

Amazon. Prime next day delivery. It's all setup and ready to go for when I get back home from a trip down south tomorrow.

• Paid Members

I bought an Uuni 3 pizza oven at the weekend, haven't had a chance to use it yet as I don't have any dough ready. I think my life will be complete if I can get it working as designed.

They look amazing. Where did you get it from?
Amazon. Prime next day delivery. It's all setup and ready to go for when I get back home from a trip down south tomorrow.

Must have sold out as cannot find them now