The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
Steak and sweet potato fries for me tonight. Will take me a while thanks to my arms being ridiculous today but hopefully no fingers will be lost.

Can you get the fries crispy? I've made decent ones, but nothing compared to ones I've had in the States in restaurants.

All about the coating/seasoning. I toss them in extra virgin olive oil and chuck in seasonings like paprika, onion, garlic, black pepper. Smoked paprika is where it's at. You have to experiment with your oven though with how long to cook them for/what heat.

There's a picture of the pre cooked wedges from this evening on my Instagram (@kookoocachu)

Edited by Kookoocachu

Making chips in the oven is, I've discovered, ridiculously easy. My dad's on this diet and he uses this OneCal Spray stuff for cooking now. I bought a can of it, and did some chips for him by simply chopping up a spud into chip-like bits, spraying them with this spray, tossing them in salt and pepper, and putting in a very hot oven.

I've realised, bien sur, that this is all "oven chips" are, with slightly different and incredibly chemically coatings, and as Kook says you can experiment with your own at home.

• Paid Members

Good thing about the home made oven chips is the variety of seasoning you can play with. did a great one the other week where I tossed the spuds in a crumbled chicken knoor stock cube. Came out tasting like roast chicken crisps.

• Paid Members
Making chips in the oven is, I've discovered, ridiculously easy. My dad's on this diet and he uses this OneCal Spray stuff for cooking now. I bought a can of it, and did some chips for him by simply chopping up a spud into chip-like bits, spraying them with this spray, tossing them in salt and pepper, and putting in a very hot oven.

I've realised, bien sur, that this is all "oven chips" are, with slightly different and incredibly chemically coatings, and as Kook says you can experiment with your own at home.

Sounds pretty much like how I make potato wedges so I suppose all that is different is the shape. I use olive oil/vegetable oil instead of a spray though and often leave it all soak with the salt, pepper etc. in a plastic cooking bag/freezer bag for a while before transferring them into the pan ready for cooking

Also, I need yellow bean sauce for a recipe and couldn't find it at all in Tesco's. Is black bean sauce a suitable replacement? Any other suggestions?

• Paid Members

Lemon juice, dash of cumin, dash of paprika, dash of garlic powder, salt, pepper. Quick chicken marinade thats good for the girls hips and dang tasty. Only soak for 30 mins thjough, as the lemon makes the ckicken tough.

For the chicken marinade, try soy sauce, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and a tiny amount of sugar; and you have a sweet chilliy marinade.

Tonight for Mr and Mrs Power is Max's homemade meatballs. Well, kind of homemade. Extra lean mince, onion, mixed herbs, salt, pepper and a little dried mint. Lovely stuff.

• Paid Members

Sounds pretty much like how I make potato wedges so I suppose all that is different is the shape. I use olive oil/vegetable oil instead of a spray though and often leave it all soak with the salt, pepper etc. in a plastic cooking bag/freezer bag for a while before transferring them into the pan ready for cooking

Also, I need yellow bean sauce for a recipe and couldn't find it at all in Tesco's. Is black bean sauce a suitable replacement? Any other suggestions?

Yellow bean is completely different. Mild and mellow. Give the black bean a go though, you may stumble on something amazing!

Pulled Pork in our house tonight. Not done on the smoker, as it's witches tit weather, but slowly roasted in the oven for 9 hours with my special rub and moistened with beer. Frigging wonderful.

• Paid Members
Yellow bean is completely different. Mild and mellow. Give the black bean a go though, you may stumble on something amazing!

It's for Char siu pork, if that's any help

It definately won't taste like char siu, but I can't see it being unpleasent.

• Paid Members

It's for Char siu pork, if that's any help

It definately won't taste like char siu, but I can't see it being unpleasent.

Any suggestions?