The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Did a cracking Philly Steak Sandwich last night. Use a piece of frying steak which I sliced wafer thin on the diagonal.

Fried off some onion and green pepper, threw on the beef, pre-fried mushrooms and my own seasoning blend (known as magic dust to my friends and family), fried till just brown, then covered in a blend of Chedder, Red Lester and Cheshire cheese. A splash of beer to set the steam going, then covered with a closh for a minute to melt the cheese, quick mix and on the baguette.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

• Paid Members

My dead easy, absolutely killer chocolate-lime pie

You need

375g plain chocolate digestives

150g unsalted butter

grated zest and juice of 8 large limes (I like it really limey, use less if you don't)

570ml double cream

1 x 397g can condensed milk

1 x 300g bar of dark chocolate (Bourneville will do, 70% cocoa if you're feeling flush)

Do it like this

Melt most of the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of water (save a couple of chunks for later). Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the crushed biscuits & the melted chocolate. Lightly press into the base of a (9in) deep loosed-bottomed fluted flan tin. If you're able to push the base up the sides to make a full tart casing, if not just do the bottom like a cheesecake. Chill whilst preparing the filling or until you've it's nice & firm.

Place the lime juice into a large bowl (top tip - microwave a lime for about 10 seconds first & you'll get loads more juice out), add the cream and condensed milk. Whisk til it firms up. Add most of the lime zest (save about half a lime's worth of zest for later) and lightly stir. Pour onto the prepared biscuit base. Place onto a tray and chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours (preferably overnight).

When finished grate the remaining bit of chocolate & half a lime's zest over the top to get a choccy lime dusting.

Did a cracking Philly Steak Sandwich last night. Use a piece of frying steak which I sliced wafer thin on the diagonal.

Fried off some onion and green pepper, threw on the beef, pre-fried mushrooms and my own seasoning blend (known as magic dust to my friends and family), fried till just brown, then covered in a blend of Chedder, Red Lester and Cheshire cheese. A splash of beer to set the steam going, then covered with a closh for a minute to melt the cheese, quick mix and on the baguette.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

Sounds nice, I usually use some red wine with the beef, if its a tough cut, and then shallots, or red onion, with Gouda or Double Gloucester. But it is still a dish to behold :thumbsup:

• Moderators

Fan-fucking-tastic.

I used to make them, but I've since moved on to something much better.

Steak - cooked medium rare, fairly thinly sliced

Baguette - crusty but not super hard

Boursin - spread on baguette, put hot steak on top

That right there is the shit.

• Paid Members

Fan-fucking-tastic.

I used to make them, but I've since moved on to something much better.

Steak - cooked medium rare, fairly thinly sliced

Baguette - crusty but not super hard

Boursin - spread on baguette, put hot steak on top

That right there is the shit.

Never thought of inflicting garlicky soft cheese on a nice bit of steak. Sounds lush.

A fairly decent spicy fried popcorn chicken recipe. Required so much time and effort though I rarely do it. I haven't measured out the ingredients accurately though so this is as close an approximation as you'll get.

INGREDIENTS

4 large chicken breasts, cubed. Or just cheat and buy it cubed from the shop.

Small tub of buttermilk

2 eggs

Cooking oil

INGREDIENTS FOR THE COATING - MIX ALL THIS TOGETHER

3 cups of plain flour

6 tsp paprika

Optional: 4 tsp MSG / ajinomoto. Unless you have an asian grocer near you, this stuff's a pain to get hold of.

2 tsp salt

1 tsp ground white pepper

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp chilli powder

1 tsp sage

1 tsp onion salt

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp basil

1 tsp marjoram

PREPARATION

Coat the chicken in buttermilk and leave in the fridge overnight.

When you're ready, take half of your coating mix and put in a bowl. (Keep the other half, you'll need it later.)

Roll each piece in the coating and rest on a baking tray.

Optional: Leave the completed tray in the fridge for a few hours. (I find that this step helps the coating to adhere better and makes for a thicker coating.)

Beat together the eggs.

Dip the chilled chicken pieces in the egg then roll in the other half of your coating mix.

Now you are finally ready to fry them. Deep fry, lots of cooking oil, and prepare to feel bad about your weight.

Hey guys, any advice on using filo pastry? Tried making some little prawn parcels but they came out pretty soggy and all in all were a bit of a disaster.

Obviously my filling has been too wet and I think the parcels were a little over loaded but I'm also thinking I should have used 2 or 3 sheets of pastry and double or treble wrapped the filling in the parcels. I also coated them with spray oil as opposed to brushing on melted butter or oil which I don't think was much good although I'm on a diet so seemed a better idea.

So yeah, any hints/tips for using filo pastry would be good. :thumbsup:

Philo - That sauce recipe is amazing,cheers. I could practically taste it as was reading the recipe. Not surprised you miss biscuits and gravy. Had it at least 5 times when I was over there last year.

Loki - Quickest way to make biscuits is to get some Bisquick from Tesco, and follow the recipe online. For the gravy, skin a cumberland sausage, and fry it off, breaking it up as you go. add some flour to mix with the fat and fry it as a blonde roux, then add the milk, and plenty of black pepper. When gravy consistency, pour over your freshly baked biscuits, and eat while making noises of pure pleasure.

BBQ Garlic Mushrooms? Please share!

A gravy made out of a sausage sounds well bizarre. I'll have to try that.

Garlic mushrooms on the barbie are mega-simple. Get a large piece of tinfoil and place as many large flat mushrooms as you need in the middle. Pop a small chunk of butter and a squeeze of a garlic crusher into each one, then scrunch up the tinfoil around the mushroom to create a sealed parcel. Then just bung that on the back of your barbie whilst you cook your meat. The mushrooms will steam themselves and the butter and garlic will melt into the musroom cup to create a garlic butter.

Whilst we're at it, slice up an aubergine into slices of about 1cm thickness and brush some olive oil both sides of each slice. Bung those on the BBQ too, direct on the grill, they'll need a couple of quick turns and be done in minutes. Serve with a fresh tomato sauce - I've posted that on here before. Garlic, some onion maybe, fried in olive oil, bung in some basil and oregano, bung in a tin of chopped tomatoes, some tomato pur

• Paid Members

Loki - Never been arsed doing any veg on the BBQ before, but they sound fantastic, so coem april, I'll give it a go.

Matbro - Sounds most excellent. I'd have that with blu-cheese dip. My arteries however hate you.

Benoit - Spray oil is fine on filo. I think you are right about the wet ingredients. Withe bake the stuff on a rack to make sure the hot air circulates round it, or make sure you flip the food several times during cooking. That should help with the crispy goodness.

Philo - never had a turkey burger, but will put it on the list.

Kook - Had sweet potato fries last year in the states. Frigging amazing.

Fookin lurving this thread!

Steak and sweet potato fries for me tonight. Will take me a while thanks to my arms being ridiculous today but hopefully no fingers will be lost.

Can you get the fries crispy? I've made decent ones, but nothing compared to ones I've had in the States in restaurants.