The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

Trying to get over my phobia of cooking chicken, so I’m going to bake a couple of breasts tonight with some broccoli, carrots and sweet potatoes.

Any sure fire tips on how long to bake the chicken for and maybe any spice help for flavour?

Also, is it possible to steam broccoli without a steamer or microwave? 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Any sure fire tips on how long to bake the chicken for and maybe any spice help for flavour?

I like to season the breasts with salt, pepper and mixed herbs. Then gently lightly wrap each breast in a foil package. 

Bake for 44-55 minutes depending on size. 

The come out lovely and tender this way. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Trying to get over my phobia of cooking chicken, so I’m going to bake a couple of breasts tonight with some broccoli, carrots and sweet potatoes.

If you're really worried about it you should get a meat probe. You can pick a cheap one up for like a fiver. And then if you can see the internal temp of the chicken you might be more comfortable.

• Paid Members

Roasted a Chicken for tea.

2kg Chicken

Little bit of Chicken Stock in the base, Carrot, Onion, Celery.

Cover the Chicken in Rapeseed Oil and rub into the skin, then added Salt, Pepper, Rosemary and Thyme. 

Roast for about 80 minutes on 190c Fan, basting 3 times with the juices.

Rest 15 minutes under foil after cooking. The skin is crisp, the meat literally falls off the bone. 

1F2925BB-1E1D-4EB5-9A91-065970A9058F.png

1F1EA749-3C05-4ADE-9FC5-C2DD2A13EE56.png

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Roasted a Chicken for tea.

2kg Chicken

Little bit of Chicken Stock in the base, Carrot, Onion, Celery.

Cover the Chicken in Rapeseed Oil and rub into the skin, then added Salt, Pepper, Rosemary and Thyme. 

Roast for about 80 minutes on 190c Fan, basting 3 times with the juices.

Rest 15 minutes under foil after cooking. The skin is crisp, the meat literally falls off the bone. 

1F2925BB-1E1D-4EB5-9A91-065970A9058F.png

1F1EA749-3C05-4ADE-9FC5-C2DD2A13EE56.png

With that veg trivet, the pan gravy from this will be amazing.

• Paid Members

Mushrooms and kale in a red wine sauce and prawn linguine in a white wine and saffron sauce. Both quick and delicious for a week night.

Doing the remainder of the red wine sauce with some boneless fried chicken I have left for lunch in the world's dirtiest coq au vin later.

20190131_194931.jpg

20190130_190056.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Chocolate truffle cookies. Bloody lovely. Choccy, almondy, crisp outside and soft inside.

image.thumb.png.92b9b8f4ee38c8fd2fd1c5b72590b32b.png

image.thumb.png.2a614c4c1f4598c5e046a7898dacc325.png

Very simple to make if anyone fancies a go.

80g Plain flour, 80g caster sugar, 25g Cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 25g butter, 1 egg, 10ml amaretto (I swapped for almond extract as I didn't have any), Icing sugar

Sift your flour, chocolate and baking powder. Mix in the sugar. Chop up and rub in the butter until all the lumps have disappeared and you've got like dark sand. Mix the egg and amaretto together and then stir in and bring together as a dough. Mine was a bit wet so added a touch more flour. Chill in the fridge for 45 mins. Pull off little balls (3cm diameter or so) and roll them in your icing sugar so they resemble truffles, then pop on a lined tray and bake for about 10-12 mins at 180 (fan).

Makes about 6 cookies so could double up the ingredients. I'm gonna make mint choc versions next time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Chocolate truffle cookies. Bloody lovely. Choccy, almondy, crisp outside and soft inside.

image.thumb.png.92b9b8f4ee38c8fd2fd1c5b72590b32b.png

image.thumb.png.2a614c4c1f4598c5e046a7898dacc325.png

Very simple to make if anyone fancies a go.

80g Plain flour, 80g caster sugar, 25g Cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 25g butter, 1 egg, 10ml amaretto (I swapped for almond extract as I didn't have any), Icing sugar

Sift your flour, chocolate and baking powder. Mix in the sugar. Chop up and rub in the butter until all the lumps have disappeared and you've got like dark sand. Mix the egg and amaretto together and then stir in and bring together as a dough. Mine was a bit wet so added a touch more flour. Chill in the fridge for 45 mins. Pull off little balls (3cm diameter or so) and roll them in your icing sugar so they resemble truffles, then pop on a lined tray and bake for about 10-12 mins at 180 (fan).

Makes about 6 cookies so could double up the ingredients. I'm gonna make mint choc versions next time.

Now that's definitely something I'm going to try making in the next couple of months, once I've got the bread-baking down. Thanks very much for posting that recipe, rick. Exactly the kind of thing I want to be able to make eventually.

• Paid Members

Defrosting / reheating question. 

I forgot to get a tub of frozen veggies out of the freezer for tonights tea. Am I OK in reheating it from frozen? or am I best off gently defrosting in the microwave or even worse, having to let it defrost on the worktop?

Cheers 

Edited by Silky Kisser