The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Just a tablespoon of caster sugar and orange zest to sweeten the Phialdelphia. Would happily cover everything in that little mixture!

Very nice! Thanks for the tip, think I might give carrot cake a go once I've got used to bread-making.

• Paid Members

Sneaky mid-week bake. Daughter needed a cake for school bake sale so I did my lemon drizzle. Wife then moaned that the house would smell of baking and there'd be none to eat so i did a loaf version for her! I've got this down now I think. Came out so moist again.

image.thumb.png.01e6fe9b024477ec65be5073708d73cf.png

• Paid Members

I keep forgetting to post them in here, but my most recent baking involved an old favourite, the chicken and vegetable pie. I used chicken thigh fillets this time, which made a big difference, and shortcrust pastry (my favourite type to make, no fuss and always comes out lovely).

20181107_193920.jpg

• Paid Members

Yeah, chicken thighs are way better than breast, more juicy and flavoursome. Never quite understand why chicken breast is considered the best part, it's very dry, often tasteless, and usually needs lots of sauce. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, BigJag said:

@tiger_rick looks fantastic. Care to share the recipe?

Cream 175g Caster Sugar and 175g Butter. Add zest of 2 lemons, 2 large eggs, 120g Natural Yoghurt and 175g self raising flour. Bake 30-35 mins at 180 fan.

Reduce juice from 2 lemons and 3 tablespoons of caster sugar to make a syrup. When cake is done, prick it all over with a cocktail stick and then pour over the syrup and leave to cool.

Then just ice. Recipe I used says 150g icing sugar but I find that way too much.

• Paid Members
On 12/3/2018 at 3:16 PM, BigJag said:

@Gus Mears those roasties look top notch!

Cheers!

Know @Onyx2 is resident spud master, but I thought I would dole out my roast potato recipe as a few people have said they look good on here. 

• -Peel the potatoes (tend to use King Edward) and then cut into quite small spuds with as many angular sides as you can manage. Plonk them in some cold water for a bit (don;t cook them in that water) if you have the time, but it's not essential. 
  • Parboil for 8-10 minutes (until they start to fall apart when you prick them with a knife). 
  • Just before you put them in to boil, take a shallow baking tray and pour enough olive oil to cover it and provide enough to scoop up with a spoon and baste (takes a fair old dollop and rapeseed oil is good too). Put in the oven at 180 to warm up.
  • Once the spuds have parboiled, drain, take the baking tray with hot oil out of the over, and place your potatoes in the oil. Take a spoon once they are all in and baste with the other hot oil in the tray. 
  • Cook for 20 mins and baste. Cook for another twenty and baste. If you have the time, baste for a third time and whack the oven up to 200 for ten minutes.
  • Once done, just take the baking tray out of the oven and transfer them to a bowl with some tongs. 

While hardly healthy, I do love the fact that you don't need to use animal fat with this. The potatoes also taste delicious and are very forgiving on oven times (you can keep them in a lot longer than an hour if you need). 

• Paid Members

He's not far off being wrong. I've never doubted Jamie Oliver's credentials as a chef and some of his recipes are very good. I just dislike him intensely as a person.

Got my orders in for Christmas meat the other day. Rolled double turkey breast, plus a big silverside and a gammon joint, both of which I'll do Christmas eve for the family buffet/cold meat throughout the Crimbo season. 

Might set up a separate Christmas food thread. My favourite time of the year to cook and I'm already excitedly putting together my Christmas day menu.

13 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

He's not far off being wrong. I've never doubted Jamie Oliver's credentials as a chef and some of his recipes are very good. I just dislike him intensely as a person.

I don't think I've ever followed one of his recipes - they always seem to include a "twist" on a classic, like wanging a load of prawns into spaghetti carbonara, or adding unnecessary herbs or something, innit me old china. 

• Paid Members

Made pork in cider in the slow cooker for tea the other night.

Rubbed the pork in salt, pepper, sage & onion. Put it fat side down in the griddle pan for a bit then put it in the slow cooker on top of some chopped onions. Cider, bay leaves, garlic, salt & pepper in with it & thickened the sauce at the end. Served it with roast parsnips & savoy cabbage.

Well smart.

20181125_114251.jpg20181125_174942.jpg