The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I really like the Rachel Allen book they're from. I bought it for my missus years ago because she likes the TV show but she's never done anything from it. I've had a go at the muffins, frittata, jam biscuits, lemon drizzle, jam tarts and upside down apple cake from the book and they've all worked out quite well. Gonna have a go at her melting moments biscuits for Xmas.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Biting Tiger Rick's style here (but not his substance) and getting into some baking. I decided I am only going to eat puddings and sweets I or my GF have made from scratch, which has obviously resulted in a massive uptick home made stuff. This is my first ever attempt at mince pies, and while I could use a bit of work on presentation, these taste great. 

W7dPHEC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Paid Members

Few bits from me at the weekend. Made a coffee cake tray bake for our little "cafe" at the ground which I haven't got any pictures of. Made these with the kids yesterday. Carrot Cake muffins with a cream cheese centre. I'm trying not to eat them but the little tastes I've had have been really good.

image.png.5339c21f5bfaada6f4f16f4e737f37fc.png

For tea last night, we had pizza. Made the dough from scratch. Really easy recipe from Gennaro (500g flour, 7g fast acting yeast, 325ml water). It proved really well in about an hour and a half.

image.png.ef9b81ff108a39d85c5d68e4f865fe3e.png

The actual pizza wasn't as easy as he makes it but it rolled easily and then stretched a bit by hand. The first one I made I don't have a pic of but it was a bit boring. I then had a go at stuffed crust. it worked quite well but it did burst open on the Pepperoni one. Zero points for artistic impression but very good taste. Not a patch on the best ones I've had in resteraunts but way above shop bought and better than a lot of takeaway pizza I've had. Will be doing these again.

image.png.2e30c2b8bb5109d225824f699660ad55.png

image.png.6d78571d201344132106c97696dad3bb.png

• Paid Members

As I've reentered the Carnist camp recently, did a black pepper crusted pork belly with roasties, cavolo nero in olive oil and garlic and caramelised onions and apples with fennel seeds. Plus a cider gravy. I've missed pork belly more than any other cut of meat over the past couple of years, so had a blast cooking and eating this. 

image.png.d941114aa2aac581a40dede4f8bdbd63.png

20181202_193201.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

@tiger_rick - as always, a joy to see your latest bakes. The carrot cake & cream cheese ones sound gorgeous - did you put vanilla and/or icing sugar in the cream cheese, or did you just put it in as is?

@Gus Mears - Wow, that looks incredible. I do like belly pork, but only get to have it when I go out - Muslim dad and sister, so none in the house. That cavolo nero looks lush, too.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

@tiger_rick@Gus Mears - as always, a joy to see your latest bakes. The carrot cake & cream cheese ones sound gorgeous - did you put vanilla and/or icing sugar in the cream cheese, or did you just put it in as is?

Just a tablespoon of caster sugar and orange zest to sweeten the Phialdelphia. Would happily cover everything in that little mixture!