The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Well done @Ralphy for having a go! Looks grand.

Here are my weekend bakes. Did raspberry bakewells on Saturday. First time I've done frangipane but I love it. The smell as soon as you add the almond extract is devine. Made the pastry from scratch too.

image.png.7723593ee09c0d03b8335429b447b878.png

Second bake was my own creation. Mint chocolate viennese biscuits with melted and crumbled mint aero bubbles. These are a winner.

image.png.002bcb4ec2d59fbfe6dcce26ada77d7e.png

• Paid Members

Only one bake this weekend as was super busy. Made these at 6am on Sunday morning. They're a traditional Maid of Honour. I absolutely love a maid from the bakery so had a look into them and this was super easy. For anyone who hasn't had one, they're a little bit like a bakewell but lemony. Only regret is that I cheated and used a pre-rolled puff pastry and it was fucking garbage. Half of it stuck to the greaseproof paper so I had to ball it up and roll again and it was a sticky mess. Will make my own next time.

image.png.a91bbd5937d8adaadcfd6229542c8ad2.png

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I've never heard of them, but they look and sound cracking. I might give it a go.  

Cooplands do a great one. They use Jam though rather than lemon and ice the top which works great.

Little tip. I don't have anything to sprinkle icing sugar on top. Found an unused pepper pot and used that. Worked pretty well.

• Paid Members

Cooplands seems to be a northern bakery and I've only been past Nottingham once, and even then I didn't get out of the car. There's a couple of independent ones around me though, I'll check in there and see what I can find. I could do with an extra couple of stone for winter. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Cooplands seems to be a northern bakery and I've only been past Nottingham once, and even then I didn't get out of the car. There's a couple of independent ones around me though, I'll check in there and see what I can find. I could do with an extra couple of stone for winter. 

I'd post you one but i can't get them home from round the corner without the icing sticking to the bag, let alone get it cross country!

• Awards Moderator

Never heard of Maids of Honour and they look great! Might try them this week.

With regards to ready-to-go pastry, use a decent brand (Jus Rol) and use their all-butter variant in the gold packaging. It's also important to get the pastry out of the fridge 30 minutes before using to let it flex.

• Paid Members

Decided to get back on the baking train over the weekend. Went for some homemade Hot Gingernuts with a dark chocolate drizzle. They are also, coincidentally vegan ( I have a friend who I didn't want to feel left out so I changed up the ingredients somewhat so they would be vegan, but it was really a minimal change). Came out a bit bigger than intended, and they are far from uniform, but I was pretty happy with them!

qnVwqYM.jpg

2sSz0Or.jpg

• Paid Members

As I mentioned before, all this has inspired me to give this a go - but I'm going to try sweet stuff later, as I've managed to persuade my neighbour, who's made her own bread for decades, and who has often sent over to a us a delicious, fresh-baked loaf which you just have to eat with butter, to teach me her techniques. Have arranged an informal lesson with her in a couple of weekends' time. Looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...