The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• 1 month later...
I'm going to be attempting to make some Jucy Lucy's later on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jucy_lucy

Pics to follow hopefully.

Good luck with that, looks good. I followed the Burgers link at the bottom of the Wiki page and got to a Hamdog. It's a Hotdog wrapped in burger meat deep fried, topped with chilli, bacon, cheese and a fried egg served in a bun. Gotta be worth a shot?

• 1 year later...
  • Awards Moderator

A shameless plug, but I was recently asked to create a recipe and be filmed making it: a roasted vegetable chilli with parmesan wedges and coconut rice. It was a lot of fun to make.

(Kitchen is not mine by the way).

• Awards Moderator
Very impressed with that buddy. Have you done them before, as you come across really well.

Not a vegi fan, but I will be giving it a go.

Cheers Plexy. No not done a video before. Just pointed a camera at me and off I waffled. There's about 30m of footage there cut down to the 7m.

I am a vorcaious carnivore but the team behind it wanted something affordable, and going veggie is almost always cheaper. There's nothing wrong with substituting some grilled meat in there - chicken doused in paprika would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I'm gravedigging this thread for a shameless shill...

I created a sweet and sour pork recipe for Freedom Food which has a decent competition prize at the end of it. The 20 videos with the most votes go through to the final. Although there aren't 20 videos yet I suspect some are rushing in at the last minute. If anyone is bored and fancies helping a brother out, Steve Austin-Amazon banner style, I'd appreciate a vote. You do need a Facebook account to do this.

I suspect Thunderplex may have a comment on this, him being the guru of takeaway food cooked at home!

Cheers y'all.

• Awards Moderator

I like the sound of that, right up my street.

One ingredient I recommend having around the house for these types of dishes is powdered coconut. Easily available in larger Tesco's and in Caribbean / Asian grocers, it's really economical and much easier for you to dial up or down the coconut flavour as you need it.

Maggi_CoconutMilkP.jpg

A Brazilian friend of mine keeps pushing me to try feijoada which sounds brilliant.

• Paid Members

One of my ten New Year's self-promises is to cook a new meal every week.

Tonight, I am exploring squid, assuming the fishmonger is open when I finish work. Now, I love a bit of squid, but have never had anything beyond it being battered or salt and peppered. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe stuffing it...

• Awards Moderator
Tonight, I am exploring squid, assuming the fishmonger is open when I finish work. Now, I love a bit of squid, but have never had anything beyond it being battered or salt and peppered. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe stuffing it...

Squid, at last knockings on a Friday on a short week? It'll either be a bargain, rank, or both.

Squid is a pain to get absolutely right. You either cook extremely quickly - like 30 secs screaming hot - or very long and slow as a casserole. Anything in between is rubber. If you haven't cooked with it before I wouldn't recommend starting it without reading up a bit about cooking techniques first.

If you want to go ahead chorizo and black pudding are both great mates, it loves strong flavours.