The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Another favourite dish of mine if I’m not eating meat is moussaka, again using Aubergine rather than it being potato focused  and also knocking up some tzatziki as a dip. I’m feeling lazy so will hook you up with the link to the recipe I use. 

Moussaka:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/recipe/kittencals-greek-moussaka-88804

Tzatziki:

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/tzatziki-sauce-recipe/

I’ve only tried that Tzatziki recipe once, and although good, I’m going to try a different method next time.

• 3 weeks later...

I won a code for this site https://pastaevangelists.com which allows new members to get 15 quid off when they spend 20.  I was all set to place my order until I saw Giles Coren was part of them and I'm not giving that arsehole any of my money.  Anyone want it?

• Paid Members

Got an Instant Pot in November, and didn’t do too much with it pre-Christmas, but now I’m using it at least twice a week. Made a blinding vegetable soup today because the mrs is very limited in what she can eat right now - like a veggie minestrone, top notch with cristy bread and Parmesan.

http://www.happybellyfoodie.com/homemade-vegetable-soup-pressure-cooker-fast/

• Paid Members

I've been making soups a fair bit recently. Did a Five-Bean one a couple of weeks ago. Borlotti beans, red kidney beans, white beans, chickpeas, and butterbeans, all cooked in a veg stock with garlic & ginger paste, fried carrots, onions, and celery as the base, and herbes de Provence to give it some aroma. Went down very well - tasty, and very filling.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Got an Instant Pot in November, and didn’t do too much with it pre-Christmas, but now I’m using it at least twice a week. Made a blinding vegetable soup today because the mrs is very limited in what she can eat right now - like a veggie minestrone, top notch with cristy bread and Parmesan.

http://www.happybellyfoodie.com/homemade-vegetable-soup-pressure-cooker-fast/

Love the Instant Pot.  Veg cooked in it is perfect, even shite like broccoli.  Makes amazing ribs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
10 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

any tips for boiling rice please? always seems to go stodgy when i do it, i have either jasmine or brown rice, usually, thank you! 

Wash it first. Put it in a sieve and rinse and rinse until the water runs clear. The excess starch on the surface is forming a paste that sticks it together.

Simmer the rice in twice the volume of water to rice (I use a mug, so if 1 x mugful of rice, 2 x mugfuls of water). Simmer until the water is not visible any more and then turn off the heat. Leave with the lid on for 3 - 4 more minutes to steam in the pan. Season to taste.

Also play with putting stuff in the water like a stock cube, half a teaspoon of cumin, coriander, chilli powder etc.

• Paid Members

Another couple common mistakes I've seen people makeare, stirring while the rice is cooking and having the water at an intense boil. Both more likely to give you stodgier rice. Have the water boiling when you add the rice, one gentle stir then simmer with the lid on until cooked.

I swear by the 2:1 water to rice ratio Onyx says. If I'm having it with anything Asian I normally throw in a couple of cloves while cooking, plus a few cardamon pods if Indian. Gives off a nice fragrance.

• Awards Moderator

You can boil it like pasta but it is hard to be consistent.

The absorption / steaming method is the way to go. And yeah knowing what a 'simmer' really is helps. It's a kind-of blip-blip-blip rather than BlipBlipBlip. There's gentle activity going on, it's not like a kettle boiling.

• Paid Members

Depending on the type of rice, you can boil it in stock to give it a nice flavour (basically any rice that isn't basmati, as it doesn't hold on to flavour by itself - something like Arborio, or American long grain). 

And I concur with the others: don't have it on an intense boil, have it on a low to medium simmer, and keep the lid on, if you want the grains separate. I personally love sticky rice, but my mum and sister give me grief for it when I cook it that way. 

One point where I differ from Onyx is I use a ratio of one and a half cups of water to one cup of rice, if it's basmati - if it's on a low simmer throughout, you shouldn't need loads.