The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I've got a Pro Q frontier.  It's a British made version of the Weber Smoky Mountain.  Did a 4kg shoulder overnight last week on it.  Set it up at midnight and got the temp to stabilise within an hour.  Used 1 bag of Heat Beads briquettes as they burn slowly and cleanly, and 5 chunks of cherry wood minion style.  Went to bed, checked at 8 am and the temp was just 5f higher than when I'd left it, which was amazing really.  Stuck the ribs and turkey on and 6 hours later had the best BBQ I'd ever eaten.  

Still use my Weber kettle for smaller chunks of meat, but am so happy with my Pro Q for the set up and leave ability.  Did some cold smoking with it in December and just getting to the end of the cheese I did now.  You need an ambient cold day to use it, but it worked great.  Want to do bacon last year.

Talking of bacon, how did your smoking turn out Chest?

• Moderators

I over-smoked it. Too much smoky flavour for bacon! It lost all the subtlety of the rosemary and garlic from the brine. I will know for next time.....

I got my wood chips from a mate who's a tree surgeon though; I love the fact that I can get them fresh as a by-product of his work. Feels very natural, the way things were done back in simpler times!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Hopefully my photos have uploaded below, but yesterday I made a spinach, egg and ricotta pie which was really tasty. I was confident on the pastry, but the filling had me bricking it a bit especially with adding raw eggs to cook within the filling, but it came out pretty well I think!

n005aP4.jpg

ZpCbO6W.jpg

• Paid Members

Bit of both really. Had a recipe I'd seen a few months back but changed the pastry to a shortcrust, I prefer it to puff for this sort of thing and I find it easier to make, and upped the spinach content. Popped some extra parmesan in with the filling too which worked a treat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Honcho's special chicken chinese will be cooked this evening; I will take pics & upload accordingly through the process.  There may be some live Facebook streaming too. :)

On another note, I've been inspired to make chilli vodka.  The process will start this weekend & conclude in late April 2018 ... there are 3 types of chilli involved, & a lot of waiting around.

• Awards Moderator

Chest that needs a NSFW spoiler tag. Senior person wandered past frowning as he tried to decide whether I was looking at poo or schlong. 

Sausage is good, more jealous of the knife though 😃

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

This sounds like a real stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyways. A quick response would be appreciated or I might be shitting myself a new arse.

Yesterday, I was cooking some Chicken breasts in the oven. I'd used a spoon to move the raw chicken, toss it in the oil etc. I set that spoon down on the worktop. While this is happening I have a pot of water boiling up some quinoa. Without thinking, I stirred it using the spoon I'd used earlier to turn the raw chicken.

Safe to eat? Will the boiling water kill any potential salmonella? It's a a 4 day batch of food, so I don't really wanna chuck it.

Edited by Silky Kisser