The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
Cheers for the couple of tips on the marinades/spices, I'll have a butchers for the stuff when I go shopping tomorrow. Though even low fat yoghurt has quite a lot of sugar in it and I'm on a low carb high protein diet.

Use Greek yoghurt.

Cheers for the couple of tips on the marinades/spices, I'll have a butchers for the stuff when I go shopping tomorrow. Though even low fat yoghurt has quite a lot of sugar in it and I'm on a low carb high protein diet.

Use Greek yoghurt.

Even Total 0% has sugar but would be my recommendation. Dannon also have very low sugar apparently.

I've been getting into cooking a bit lately, mostly inspired by a desire to health up and get back the killer abs after the usual festive period binge. I'm a compulsive eater as well, and can easily shove down one or even two tubes of Pringles in one setting, so I've found cooking is a good way to cut down on my urges, eating later to stop hunger pangs late at night.

I'm still doing pretty simple stuff at the moment, and things that I can dip into when I'm hungry. Made a beautiful beansprout, red pepper and herb salad the other day that I've been picking at ever since, with a few cashews sprinkled over the top for a treat. Also a bit of a soup obsessive now, love pea and mint and anything with chilli. Tomato, red pepper and red chilli is a personal favourite. The only problem is that I always fancy having bread with it, lathered in butter and not in small quantities. I've tried to stick to a slice of seeded wholemeal loaf.

Anyone got any good healthy salad/soup recipes to recommend for this time of the year?

--Oh, and as a sidenote I'm sure things like crisps and sweets and highly addictive physically. The first two weeks I cut them out were terrible, I couldn't believe how much I craved a good solid bag of Kettle Chips or a bag of tangfastics. As the time has moved on, I no longer feel desperately in need, so I'm presuming I've flushed the dependency out of my system.

Edited by WU LYF 4 LYF

I've been getting into cooking a bit lately, mostly inspired by a desire to health up and get back the killer abs after the usual festive period binge. I'm a compulsive eater as well, and can easily shove down one or even two tubes of Pringles in one setting, so I've found cooking is a good way to cut down on my urges, eating later to stop hunger pangs late at night.

I'm still doing pretty simple stuff at the moment, and things that I can dip into when I'm hungry. Made a beautiful beansprout, red pepper and herb salad the other day that I've been picking at ever since, with a few cashews sprinkled over the top for a treat. Also a bit of a soup obsessive now, love pea and mint and anything with chilli. Tomato, red pepper and red chilli is a personal favourite. The only problem is that I always fancy having bread with it, lathered in butter and not in small quantities. I've tried to stick to a slice of seeded wholemeal loaf.

Anyone got any good healthy salad/soup recipes to recommend for this time of the year?

--Oh, and as a sidenote I'm sure things like crisps and sweets and highly addictive physically. The first two weeks I cut them out were terrible, I couldn't believe how much I craved a good solid bag of Kettle Chips or a bag of tangfastics. As the time has moved on, I no longer feel desperately in need, so I'm presuming I've flushed the dependency out of my system.

Soups are the easiest things in the world mate. For me, simplest one:

- One/two chicken stock cube (Telma if you can get them)

- Two pint water

- Fresh herbs (or dried will do)

- one onion

- one carrot

- chicken thighs, skin removed

Whole lot in a pot, medium heat (about 4-5 on the hob) and leave for about an hour until the meat is done and literally falling apart. Great for cold days.

Edited by rubbafish

• Paid Members

Big favorite soup of mine - I'll see if I can find the exact recipe, but it's roughly:

15 chicken wings

Half pound of dessert rice

Celery

Garlic

Cardamon

Lemon

Simmer everything for a fuck long time, skimming off the chicken fat, and then, at the end, strip off the meat back into the soup.

• Paid Members

Dinner tonight was my awesome pasta. I was going to take a picture but...yeah I was hungry. Here's my little recipe anyway for the curious.

Kook's Awesome Pasta:

I don't really do measurements unless I'm baking, so adjust this to your taste.

Chuck chopped celery, onion, cherry tomatoes and pancetta in a pan and cook until soft. Add a dollop (a heaped table spoon or more if you're cooking more than 2 portions) of full fat Philadelphia and a little bit of HALF FAT creme fraiche (heaped teaspoon) and stir in until creamy. Add the spaghetti and stir it all together. Bam. Oh and start cooking the spaghetti when you start cooking the veg/pancetta. You can also add garlic if you want.

Edited by Kookoocachu

^^^

That's another one I must get round to making, makes me hungry just reading about it even though on paper it's just some ordinary stuff thrown together. I'll probably use macaroni instead of spaghetti though as it's easier to eat, unless you think the spaghetti is crucial to the experience?

I love that garlic flavoured philadelphia stuff they used to do, is that still available? Would give the dish a nice edge.

• Paid Members
^^^

That's another one I must get round to making, makes me hungry just reading about it even though on paper it's just some ordinary stuff thrown together. I'll probably use macaroni instead of spaghetti though as it's easier to eat, unless you think the spaghetti is crucial to the experience?

I love that garlic flavoured philadelphia stuff they used to do, is that still available? Would give the dish a nice edge.

You can use any pasta, I just like it with spaghetti.

• Paid Members

Yep, that definitely still exists. Some supermarkets have an own-brand version too.

Fucking hell I'm full. Just made a fairly basic chilli, but it came out real nice. Had two portions myself, leaves some for lunch tomorrow and some to drop off to where my other half works for her lunch too.

Fry off onions, for 5 mins or so, then chuck in red peppers, minced garlic, a tsp each of hot chilli powder, cumin and paprika for a further five minutes. Brown the meat in the pan. Add half a pint of stock, tin of tomatoes, two tbsp tomato puree, and a sprinkle of marjoram. Simmer with a lid on for as long as you like, at least a half hour or so. Chuck in a tin of kidney beans, cook it down with the lid off for ten mins or so or until it's thickened nicely, season and serve with rice and sour cream.

I chucked a couple of bhut jolokia chillis in too, as I like it nice and hot.

Edited cos I'm a plank.

Edited by Philo_Vance

Loki's secret chilli ingredient - a couple of chunks of cooking or dark chocolate. Gives it this rich flavour.

I was going to say, about that great Chicken Soup recipe, bung in some sliced red chilli or a split green chilli. I like my chicken soup to have a little bit of kick to it, warms you up a treat.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
Loki's secret chilli ingredient - a couple of chunks of cooking or dark chocolate. Gives it this rich flavour.

I was going to say, about that great Chicken Soup recipe, bung in some sliced red chilli or a split green chilli. I like my chicken soup to have a little bit of kick to it, warms you up a treat.

Agreed, Chocolate in a Chilli is mega. Not too much, but just enough to make it nice and rich.

I also find the more Cumin the better in a Chilli, usually go up to 3 tspns of the stuff.