UFC 143: 'Diaz vs Condit' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For those who don't have ESPN (like me), ESPN's first free weekend in a long time begins Friday 3rd February at 6am and ends on Monday the 7th Feburary at 6am. I've never watched live UFC on ESPN, I'm guess there are adverts during live UFC broadcasts?

I'm hoping Condit wins, but I'm not sure if he will. I'm thinking that fight goes to a hard fought decision. I'll predict Nelson KO's Werdum.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those who don't have ESPN (like me), ESPN's first free weekend in a long time begins Friday 3rd February at 6am and ends on Monday the 7th Feburary at 6am. I've never watched live UFC on ESPN, I'm guess there are adverts during live UFC broadcasts?

I'm hoping Condit wins, but I'm not sure if he will. I'm thinking that fight goes to a hard fought decision. I'll predict Nelson KO's Werdum.

Are you sure about that? ESPN is free at the moment and has been for a couple of weeks, but I'm sure I remember a pop up saying it ends on Friday 3rd Feb.

Maybe it depends on your location.

you get a ridiculous amout of adverts during the free US show (for example Fight Night, UFC on FX etc.), but PPV broadcasts are pretty much untouched.

Thanks.

Are you sure about that? ESPN is free at the moment and has been for a couple of weeks, but I'm sure I remember a pop up saying it ends on Friday 3rd Feb.

Maybe it depends on your location.

http://sport-onthebox.com/2012/01/23/broad...d-february-3-6/

http://espnmediazone3.com/wpmu/uk/?p=1190#more-1190

http://www.touchline.tv/broadcasting/espn-...er-3-6-february

• Paid Members

Great timing ESPN being free that weekend. It's cool that everyone gets to see this one.

I've been relentless in my bumming of the main event but I'm really looking forward to the Jorgensen vs Barao fight on the main card too. That has serious barnburner potential. These 2 fights on the one card are gonna be nuts. It'll be interesting to see how Barao copes with Jorgensen's style, who I suspect will be trying to use his wrestling. Barao looked like a monster against Pickett, his stand up looked lethal and his transition to the choke was very slick but I don't think Jorgensen will play the same game Pickett did of standing in front of him and winging haymakers. Saying that Jorgensen has some good power in his hands and if he lands one he can do some damage. Barao did show some solid takedowns against Cole Escovedo from what I recall of that fight but Jorgensen should have the edge in takedowns/defense here.

Very intriguing fight. Jorgensen's power, wrestling and nasty ground and pound vs Barao's technique and dangerous mix of Muay Thai and BJJ.

Jorgensen-submission.gif

scottjorgensenktfokenstonetuf13finale.gif

0.gif

2.gif

This is the biggest test to date for Barao imo. Pickett's a great fighter but I think Jorgensen's got a tougher style for Barao to beat, his good everywhere and I don't think he's as likely to fall into Barao's style of fight.

If Barao wins this one, he's gotta be next in line for the winner of Cruz/Faber 3 imo. The man's unbeaten in his last 27 fights and knocking off top contenders like Pickett and Jorgensen should see him challenging for the belt I reckon.

I know in MMA its tough to predict how fights will play out but I think either this or Diaz/Condit should be pretty much as close as you can get to a lock for FOTN. And with these 4's styles, I think there's real potential there for both these fights to be on people's FOTY lists come the end of 2012.

I'm hoping Condit wins, but I'm not sure if he will.

I'm the exact opposite. I hope Diaz wins but I don't think he will. A St-Pierre/Condit fight won't be as crazy as a St-Pierre/Diaz fight.

I'm not a fan of the Diaz brothers antics. It's a close fight to call.

Aye. If I had a choice of ESPN showing either UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit or UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson for free, I'd pick the latter. I'm really looking forward to that show.

I've been relentless in my bumming of the main event but I'm really looking forward to the Jorgensen vs Barao fight on the main card too. That has serious barnburner potential. These 2 fights on the one card are gonna be nuts. It'll be interesting to see how Barao copes with Jorgensen's style, who I suspect will be trying to use his wrestling. Barao looked like a monster against Pickett, his stand up looked lethal and his transition to the choke was very slick but I don't think Jorgensen will play the same game Pickett did of standing in front of him and winging haymakers. Saying that Jorgensen has some good power in his hands and if he lands one he can do some damage. Barao did show some solid takedowns against Cole Escovedo from what I recall of that fight but Jorgensen should have the edge in takedowns/defense here.

Very intriguing fight. Jorgensen's power, wrestling and nasty ground and pound vs Barao's technique and dangerous mix of Muay Thai and BJJ.

This is the biggest test to date for Barao imo. Pickett's a great fighter but I think Jorgensen's got a tougher style for Barao to beat, his good everywhere and I don't think he's as likely to fall into Barao's style of fight.

If Barao wins this one, he's gotta be next in line for the winner of Cruz/Faber 3 imo. The man's unbeaten in his last 27 fights and knocking off top contenders like Pickett and Jorgensen should see him challenging for the belt I reckon.

I know in MMA its tough to predict how fights will play out but I think either this or Diaz/Condit should be pretty much as close as you can get to a lock for FOTN. And with these 4's styles, I think there's real potential there for both these fights to be on people's FOTY lists come the end of 2012.

After the main event, this is the second fight I'm most interested in on the main card. I fancy Barao to win. I think the winner will get the next UFC Bantamweight Championship shot after Dominick Cruz/Urijah Faber 3 happens (really looking forward to that fight).

• Paid Members
Aye. If I had a choice of ESPN showing either UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit or UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson for free, I'd pick the latter. I'm really looking forward to that show.

I'm really looking forward to 144 too but this one pips it for me just because of how long I've wanted to see Diaz vs Condit. Edgar vs Bendo is another one I can see being on the FOTY lists, I can't see any way that won't be a great fight.

The rest of 144 overall is probably stronger than 143 but there's no single fight on that bar the main event that comes close to the Diaz/Condit and Jorgensen/Barao in terms of my own anticipation.

I've got a feeling I'm gonna enjoy 144 more as a whole top to bottom but 143 is gonna deliver the one or two killer fights that will entertain me more.

After the main event, this is the second fight I'm most interested in on the main card. I fancy Barao to win. I think the winner will get the next UFC Bantamweight Championship shot after Dominick Cruz/Urijah Faber 3 happens (really looking forward to that fight).

Yeah makes sense. I think if Jorgensen wins he's got a better chance at a title shot if Faber wins the title. Cruz/Jorgensen was pretty much one way traffic, although very entertaining, so they might not want a rematch of that yet. Jorgensen vs Faber would be a fresh fight. If he beat Barao impressively though he could get another crack even if Cruz wins.

The way Cruz is going it's gonna be all rematches soon because he's beat nearly all the top contenders and bar the Faber 2 fight it's not even been close.

If Barao wins, him vs either Cruz or Faber would be very interesting.

I'm really looking forward to 144 too but this one pips it for me just because of how long I've wanted to see Diaz vs Condit. Edgar vs Bendo is another one I can see being on the FOTY lists, I can't see any way that won't be a great fight.

The rest of 144 overall is probably stronger than 143 but there's no single fight on that bar the main event that comes close to the Diaz/Condit and Jorgensen/Barao in terms of my own anticipation.

I've got a feeling I'm gonna enjoy 144 more as a whole top to bottom but 143 is gonna deliver the one or two killer fights that will entertain me more.

I've looked forward to Edgar/Henderson ever since it was announced last November and I'm with you in thinking UFC 144's main card is better than UFC 143's. It's those reasons why that's the event I want to see more.

Yeah makes sense. I think if Jorgensen wins he's got a better chance at a title shot if Faber wins the title. Cruz/Jorgensen was pretty much one way traffic, although very entertaining, so they might not want a rematch of that yet. Jorgensen vs Faber would be a fresh fight. If he beat Barao impressively though he could get another crack even if Cruz wins.

The way Cruz is going it's gonna be all rematches soon because he's beat nearly all the top contenders and bar the Faber 2 fight it's not even been close.

I thought Urijah Faber would beat Dominick Cruz at UFC 132: Cruz vs. Faber but he didn't. I scored the fight four rounds to one for Cruz. I'm not sure whether to back Faber to win the third fight like he did the first.

I'm hoping Condit wins, but I'm not sure if he will.

I'm the exact opposite. I hope Diaz wins but I don't think he will. A St-Pierre/Condit fight won't be as crazy as a St-Pierre/Diaz fight.

I'm not a fan of the Diaz bros antics outside the ring, but I really do want to see Nick vs GSP.

• Paid Members
I like Condit's fights but he was boring as hell on that primetime show. Nick provided more entertainment in 20 seconds when he started explaining the fire alarm story. That photo is hilarious too!

Haha yeah he wasn't the most entertaining man in the world was he? But even though his story's not all that interesting, at least it's an uninteresting story we haven't heard over and over like GSP's and Cain's. The amount of times they've told us about GSP getting bullied at school, or Cain's dad having to come from Mexico and move lettuces all day. It's not a story we need to hear again.

I thought in the interview bits with Condit about the fight, when they weren't just showing him playing with his kid, he came across very intense and up for this fight. I suppose the first Primetime is always more of an introduction to the personalities. From episode 2 they should start really getting into the fight talk which is when Condit should become more interesting I think.

I'm just glad it's not GSP again. It's got to the point with him where his PPVs do great numbers anyway. I think they do it with him now just to try and convince people the other guy has a shot so they'll buy a one sided fight. I think the Primetime show is better served for fights like this where the PPV will likely benefit more from it. Condit isn't yet a proven draw and Diaz hasn't been in the spotlight for a long time in the UFC which for a lot of people is all the MMA they see. The BJ Penn fight and now Primetime will really help re-introduce him to a larger PPV audience. This fight will probably do better on PPV because of Primetime imo, whereas GSP will draw whatever the case.

I'm not saying never do it with the top stars because you have to but to just keep doing it with the same guy is a waste. Anderson vs Sonnen 2 and Jones vs Evans (if they happen) would be great for Primetime. The backstories behind them fights would make for good TV and 3 of the 4 can talk up a fight pretty good. The other is a fucking ninja, what more can you ask for?

I like Condit's fights but he was boring as hell on that primetime show. Nick provided more entertainment in 20 seconds when he started explaining the fire alarm story. That photo is hilarious too!

Haha yeah he wasn't the most entertaining man in the world was he? But even though his story's not all that interesting, at least it's an uninteresting story we haven't heard over and over like GSP's and Cain's. The amount of times they've told us about GSP getting bullied at school, or Cain's dad having to come from Mexico and move lettuces all day. It's not a story we need to hear again.

I thought in the interview bits with Condit about the fight, when they weren't just showing him playing with his kid, he came across very intense and up for this fight. I suppose the first Primetime is always more of an introduction to the personalities. From episode 2 they should start really getting into the fight talk which is when Condit should become more interesting I think.

I'm just glad it's not GSP again. It's got to the point with him where his PPVs do great numbers anyway. I think they do it with him now just to try and convince people the other guy has a shot so they'll buy a one sided fight. I think the Primetime show is better served for fights like this where the PPV will likely benefit more from it. Condit isn't yet a proven draw and Diaz hasn't been in the spotlight for a long time in the UFC which for a lot of people is all the MMA they see. The BJ Penn fight and now Primetime will really help re-introduce him to a larger PPV audience. This fight will probably do better on PPV because of Primetime imo, whereas GSP will draw whatever the case.

I'm not saying never do it with the top stars because you have to but to just keep doing it with the same guy is a waste. Anderson vs Sonnen 2 and Jones vs Evans (if they happen) would be great for Primetime. The backstories behind them fights would make for good TV and 3 of the 4 can talk up a fight pretty good. The other is a fucking ninja, what more can you ask for?

Couldn't agree more. I like GSP but his interviews never change and he's not been much fun to watch since before the first Serra fight, apart from the night he busted up Koscheck's stupid face. I think Diaz v Condit is a more exciting fight than either one of them v GSP.

Those primetimes you mentioned have to happen.

Add me to those who would go with UFC 143 over 144.

The main event as has already been stated is mouth-watering, espicially with Primetime and the hype around Nick Diaz, I have not seen a buzz for a fighter this much on the internet since Sonnen started hyping his first fight with Anderson.

143 also has Bareo who could be the next big star at 135lbs facing a stern test, Werdum making his return against Nelson and also UFC Public Enemy number 1 Josh Koshcheck facing a decent oppenent.

144 has a quality main event between 2 of the best fighters at 155lbs in the world, but it wont get the hype machine going like Diaz has. Edgar is a tremendous fighter maybe the best 155lbs of all time, but he has not caught on with the public yet. Shields vs Akiyma could be boring like a lot of Shields fights, and I only care about Rampage vs Bader because I want Page to destroy Bader, I doubt either will be a serious contender at 205lbs again in there careers. Hunt vs Kongo and Pettis vs Lauzon are great outings, but I feel no buzz for the card even if it is in Japan.

For me it is all about Nick Diaz and Sonnen vs Bisping in what I am looking forward to the most, but then again the UFC spoils is these days, its like comparing having Kim Kardasian one week to having Rochelle Leah the next.

Archived