UFC 143: 'Diaz vs Condit' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

ufc-143-poster-263965188.jpg

MAIN CARD (ESPN)

Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit - Interim UFC Welterweight Title

Roy Nelson vs Fabricio Werdum

Josh Koscheck vs Mike Pierce

Scott Jorgensen vs Renan Barao

Ed Herman vs Clifford Starks

PRELIMS (FX US/probably ufc.tv for us)

Dustin Poirier vs Max Holloway

Matt Riddle vs Henry Martinez

Alex Caceres vs Edwin Figueroa

Matt Brown vs Chris Cope

PRELIMS (Facebook)

Stephen Thompson vs Dan Stittgen

Rafael Natal vs Michael Kuiper

Another very strong lineup here. Diaz vs Condit is as close to a sure fire FOTY candidate as you can have. I can't see any way that won't be a war. Jorgensen vs Barao is the other fight that really jumps out at me on the main card. Winner of that is probably next in line for the winner of Cruz/Faber 3. Should be a cracking fight. These 2 fights alone are worth tuning in to this one for.

Nelson/Werdum is a tricky one. Could be good or could turn out to be a total stinker. Kos/Pierce should be decent. Both wrestlers with heavy hands.

Some good stuff on the prelims aswell. Caceres/Figueroa could be a sleeper on this card imo. Both have been having some blinders on the prelims and this will probably be another. Riddle/Lopez should be good too.

Seriously can't wait for Diaz vs Condit.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about it, I think Diaz vs Condit may be similiar to Nate vs Cerrone.

Condit is not the best wrestler out there and prefers to stand up, Rory Mcdonald and Martin Kampman both gave him trouble with grappling. Diaz could threaten with submissions if it goes to the floor, but I do not think it will.

I think Diaz will overcome the more well rounder striker like his Brother did, he wil box Condit and win most of the exchanges on route to a late stoppage or a clear cut points win.

• Paid Members

Matt Brown vs Chris Cope is a late addition to the prelims. Brown's had mixed results in his UFC run but I see him beating Cope.

And yeah, I've compared Nick Diaz vs Condit to Nate vs Cerrone myself recently. There's similarities in Condit and Cerrone's styles and I could see a similar type of fight playing out. Which I've got no problem with at all cos Nate vs Cowboy was brilliant, and we get 2 more rounds for this one if it goes that long.

I would rate Condit slightly more than Cerrone though. He's more experienced and he's a bit further into his development than Cerrone is at the moment imo. Not a knock on Cerrone I just think Condit's more ready for the top level. People forget Cerrone's only been fighting MMA for 5 years. I'd rate Condit more than Cerrone but then again I rate Nick more than Nate so it doesn't mean a lot.

It's a hard fight to call I reckon. Condit's similar in body type to Diaz, lanky and he uses his range pretty good with kicking which Diaz doesn't do a lot. But just purely based on how many times I've picked against Diaz only to be proven wrong, I'll go with him. If Condit does a lot of leg kicking he could mess up Diaz' timing but I see Diaz getting to him with the combos and body punching over the course of the fight and winning a decision in an all out war.

The Primetime show is one the best UFC has ever produced.

If one good thing has come out of GSP being injured, its that we don't get to have him go through the motions on Primetime, Condit came across as a very likeable guy and Diaz was well Diaz. I fucking love Nick Diaz

As Wandshogun said in the other thread I cannot recall him shouting "Carlos where you at"

As Wandshogun said in the other thread I cannot recall him shouting "Carlos where you at"

This has gotten alot of discussion on other forums.

He said it after the BJ fight at UFC 137, before he called out GSP. It wasn't on the original broadcast as at that moment the camera was showing BJ getting treatment but the other camera was recording Diaz. The Condit call out was just before him putting his shirt on and the GSP call out was when the official decision was called out by Buffer. So it was kind of 'unseen' footage.

• Paid Members

I'm glad you posted that because now I don't have to. What a great picture, it epitomises Nick Diaz. Primetime was very good. When I see Diaz smile and laugh, I can't help but smile too. You know there's a good guy in there somewhere.

• Paid Members
Are we getting the prime time shows on UK television? Anyone know?

I can't find anything about it being on here for some reason. It's online though if you wanna watch it.

Here's episode 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOE4sjKVT90...player_embedded

The Prime Time show is great. Nick Diaz is the most fascinating man in the sport.

Yeah I think he's the most interesting character in MMA. He's fought everywhere and it seems like he's been around forever yet he's still only 28. One of the most entertaining fighters in MMA but he's got that unpredictable edge to him, like Tyson had, where you don't know what he's gonna do next. Not to the extremes of Tyson but he's got that vibe about him that makes you wanna tune in and see what he's gonna do. Sometimes it seems like he loves fighting and other times it seems like he hates it. And it's only really been the last year or so that he's started to open up a bit, I'm glad he agreed to Primetime. Epsisode 1 was fantastic viewing. Condit seems well up for it aswell, I think they both know this is their big chance to shine with GSP gone for a bit.

Apparently GSP could be ready to fight the winner in the summer too. Man, this summer's gonna be huge if everything falls in place we could be seeing GSP/Diaz, Silva/Sonnen 2 and Dos Santos/Overeem all in the summer.

I can't find anything about it being on here for some reason. It's online though if you wanna watch it.

Cheers, I'm just going to find a torrent of it so I can watch it in high quality.

Yeah I think he's the most interesting character in MMA. He's fought everywhere and it seems like he's been around forever yet he's still only 28. One of the most entertaining fighters in MMA but he's got that unpredictable edge to him, like Tyson had, where you don't know what he's gonna do next. Not to the extremes of Tyson but he's got that vibe about him that makes you wanna tune in and see what he's gonna do. Sometimes it seems like he loves fighting and other times it seems like he hates it. And it's only really been the last year or so that he's started to open up a bit, I'm glad he agreed to Primetime. Epsisode 1 was fantastic viewing. Condit seems well up for it aswell, I think they both know this is their big chance to shine with GSP gone for a bit.

He's definately one of the more interesting characters in the sport, that's for sure. With St-Pierre gone for a bit it gives the UFC time to build Diaz as a credible challenger (should he get past Condit).

The thing is, whilst St-Pierre/Diaz is the fight we all want to see, I think I'd class Condit as a more dangerous opponent for St-Pierre. I'm pretty sure that St-Pierre takes Diaz out via unanimous decision or referee stoppage late on in the fight.

Apparently GSP could be ready to fight the winner in the summer too. Man, this summer's gonna be huge if everything falls in place we could be seeing GSP/Diaz, Silva/Sonnen 2 and Dos Santos/Overeem all in the summer.

Even if things don't go according to plan, we'll still be seeing Anderson/Bisping, St-Pierre/Condit & Dos Santos/Overeem, which isn't too shabby!

Training wise, was it ever made public what the plan was had GSP - Condit gone ahead? Would they both have trained away from Greg Jackson or would he train one of them or even both?

The Primetime was refreshing without the usual boring GSP stuff ("See the best Georges St Pierre ever inside the octagon", "Training tap dancing to improve my athleticism in the cage" etc) and both guys came off really well. If anything is going to make Nick Diaz marketable it's this as long as he doesn't bring up any more stories about 2nd grade pranks.

You know there's a good guy in there somewhere.

Yeah it shines through.

At least Diaz is a genuine person, nothing worse in life than someone who is all smiles to your face but has the knives out for you really. You can tell Diaz does really care about his brother and his camp.

As said above he is a very interesting man, I do like GSP but fucking hell after 3 or 4 Primetimes I was fed up with him. The one GSP did with Hardy was only great due to Hardy, I remember one episode you had to watch GSP explain how he likes to eat his steak for fucks sake.

The fire alarm story with Diaz made me piss myself.

The problem with the Primetime shows is that they only wheel them out for the big fights (which makes sense), but it just so happens that a lot of those fights feature GSP. His training & build-up to a fight isn't going to change much, so it's always going to get boring.

A bit like the 24/7 series that HBO do for boxing. Mayweather is an interesting guy, but after two or three series it gets old watching him argue with his father and wave stacks of money around.

Archived