Royal Rumble Reminisce

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Everyone loves the Rumble, don't they? Even the most miserable of bastards and supposed 'non-fans' seem to get a kick out of the 30 Man, Over the top Rope Elimination Spetaculganza! And why wouldn't they? Pat Pattersons baby is undoubtedly one of the finest concepts ever conceived for wrestling and only seems to get more popular with age. January would be totally rubbish and dreary if it wasn't for Rumble season and the start of the long road to WrestleMania for many. It's such a nifty tool to kick-off angles for WrestleMania and i love it dearly as you can probably tell.

So let us get into some Rumble fever and discuss some of our favourite and classic Royal Rumblus moments from the past 25 years. Some of the following points should be good to go by:

What do you consider the best Royal Rumble?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble build-up angle?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble in-match angle?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble spot?

What do you consider the greatest individual performance in a Rumble?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble elimination (could be visual, comical, or awesome for any other reason you like, go nuts)

Who/what is your favourite Royal Rumble surprise entrant?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble moment?

What do you think will happen and what do you want to see happen in this years Rumble?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

2005 takes some beating.

Austin-mcmahon in 99. The rumble was the perfect platform to take the feud to the next level/transition it into Austin vs Rock.

Warrior and Hogan RR 90, perfect setup for mania and 'the ultimate challenge'

Hbk in 95, genius ending to the match, did not see it coming at all. Michaels was heeling it up massively, but did so without technically breaking the rules. Brilliant.

Flair in 92. Brilliant from start to finish.

What is your favourite Royal Rumble elimination (could be visual, comical, or awesome for any other reason you like, go nuts)

Taka Michinoku. You know the one.

Mr Perfect in 2002(?). was a genuine surprise, and he looked fantastic!

Not the actual match, but The Ronnie Garvin/Greg Valentine Hammer Jammer spot in 1990. Brilliant match!

What do you think will happen and what do you want to see happen in this years Rumble?

I think Orton will return and win, however, I hope I'm wrong and Barrett eliminates him, and Sheamus gets the win. I'd love the irony of it being Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan for the world title at mania after their match last year was bumped from the card.

My favourite in-Rumble angle is CM Punk in 2010, doing the little speeches in between eliminating people. I loved Cena and Hornswoggle's mighty alliance last year as well, and Santino's near-miracle at the end. But my favourite Rumble ending is probably the Undertaker and Michaels one. That was what wet everyone's whistle for them to have a WrestleMania match.

What do you consider the best Royal Rumble? I really love the 98 Rumble.

What is your favourite Royal Rumble build-up angle? Again 98 - Austin going around with a bullseye on his chest.

What is your favourite Royal Rumble in-match angle? 92 - Flairs Title.

What is your favourite Royal Rumble spot? I think Morrison's Spider-Man jump was pretty good. Wasn't there a Rumble where Taker dived over the top and took a group of people down?

What do you consider the greatest individual performance in a Rumble? Kane in 2001.

What is your favourite Royal Rumble elimination (could be visual, comical, or awesome for any other reason you like, go nuts) Bossman eliminating Taka.

Who/what is your favourite Royal Rumble surprise entrant? Mr. Perfect.

What is your favourite Royal Rumble moment? 98 again. First everyone thinks Austin has been attacked, then his music hits and everyone looks to the stage.

What do you think will happen and what do you want to see happen in this years Rumble? I think it will set up Punk vs Jericho, possible Bryan heel turnm and a possible Taker return. I'd like something really unexpected to happen.

Rumble to Mania is my favourite time of year, suppose it is everyone elses too, but you can't beat the anticipation of who'll win the Rumble and what storylines will form going into Wrestlemania. Anyhoo, here goes

The best Royal Rumble for me is 2008. Even though people always talk about the return of John Cena. but for me the thing that made it was the story of the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels and the beginning of the feud which would define Wrestlemania for the next 2 years.

I know this is prob for the match itself but meh, the build up to Jeff Hardy vs Randy Orton from 2008 was spectacular. But i guess it can't get better than Stone Cold vs Vince McMahon.

Already talked about Michaels/Taker so maybe i'll say 1993 finish between Lex Luger and Bret Hart

Maybe not a spot but CM Punk chucking people out people for fun and talking on the mic in 2010 was brilliant.

Shawn Michaels in 1995 or 6

Maven eliminating the Undertaker. Was a spectacular moment and something completely unexpected and really exciting.

Mr. Perfect or Honky Tonk Man.

John Morrisons spectacular acrobatics, was it last year when he got knocked off the apron and held onto the guard rail, then climbed it, ran around and jumped onto the steps and back in the ring. Magical.

Dangerously, Im going to call a surprise return from the Deadman eliminating Triple H thus settingup part II at mania. Still can't call who'll win, still think its between Wade and Sheamus but I rekon they might swerve us. It is in St. Louis, hometown on one Randall Keith Orton...

My favourite in-Rumble angle is CM Punk in 2010, doing the little speeches in between eliminating people. I loved Cena and Hornswoggle's mighty alliance last year as well, and Santino's near-miracle at the end. But my favourite Rumble ending is probably the Undertaker and Michaels one. That was what wet everyone's whistle for them to have a WrestleMania match.

Really? I seem to remember that one being just another rumble until the final ten or so minutes.

I seem to remember enjoying the 2001 quite a lot? If that was the oen with Kane's mega run, Drew Carey beign a coward and Raven bringing in a bowling ball as a weapon.

I'd say 1999 or 2011.

Austin vs. McMahon was immense.

The Nexus stakeout last year was excellent.

TAKA's mental faceplant.

Kane - 2001

Seeing as I chose TAKA earlier, I'll go for Paul London nearly being decapitated.

Booker last year had me marking like mad.

Road Dogg's ingenious foolproof way to win the Rumble in 2000 has to be my favourite.

Sheamus will win, and Brodus will get a Too Cool-style dance spot.

Road Dogg's ingenious foolproof way to win the Rumble in 2000 has to be my favourite

Glad to see this remember Lawler pissing himself at the Road Doggs ingenious plan. I like it when someones whos not gonna win puts a bit of thought into there rumble appearance. Rather than throwing a few punches, bit of doubleteaming and then getting tossed. I like a doomed gameplan like Lawler hiding under the ring in 93.

Best Rumble match is 92 hands down. The commentary, the storytelling, Ric Flair in his element selling as a heel for near an hour, importance(the winner got the title), the star power no other Rumble can compare for me.

Whet. Just a pet peeve.

An ill-founded one, at that. You're getting whistle and appetite mixed up, whet only works with the latter. Partly my fault though, sometimes I leave the context clues of a mental patient. "Wet your whistle" does not mean the same thing as "whet your appetite" -- I just used it as such out of eccentricity. And "whet your whistle" is nothing more than a spelling mistake.

But my favourite Rumble ending is probably the Undertaker and Michaels one. That was what wet everyone's whistle for them to have a WrestleMania match.

Really? I seem to remember that one being just another rumble until the final ten or so minutes.

Read it again.

• Awards Moderator

1992. It's one of the events which hooked me in to wrestling as a kid and for that reason, will always be my favourite for sentimental reasons.

Heyman Vs. Benoit for the weeks leading up to the '04 Rumble.

Lesnar jumping Goldberg, setting up what should have been a great feud and match. Such a shame it unraveled the way it did as if they were both sticking around, that could have been huge. Aside from that, Michaels trying to earn his rematch against Taker a couple of years back.

Goldberg nearly breaking Nunzio in half. Here. There have been loads of better and more relevant ones, but this always sticks in my mind.

Benoit in '04.

Paul London nearly being murdered/paralysed.

Easy. Cena. It was the pose and lifting of his head which made it, before he even got in the ring. Like a 'yep, it's me'.

Vince's knees. Still makes me laugh my head off.

I think Jericho will snap in this year's Rumble after being eliminated and I really hope he turns in a fucking nutcase.

Archived