UKFF Poster of the Year (Off Topic) 2011

Chest Rockwell

Who was the best off topic poster of 2011?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Off topic has been brilliant this year. I know people go on about how the UKFF is on its arse, but its only on ontopic really. Off topic always has something going on. I love reading it more than actually posting in it. For me, off topic is like the bigger boys locker room, and when I venture in it I'm hiding the size of my knob. There's so many good posters in it and there's always something either funny, disturbing or news worthy going on. The UKFF's had a good year.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Two points

First, re: Woodyatt. Agreed with the other posters that have mentioned him- his combination of wit and clarity has been superb on here and for me he is one of the better posters in both on & off topic forums (and he isn't a prick in the slightest). A year ago I couldn't tell you anything about the guy, he's had such a good year. And the same goes for air_raid (more on-topic, though). The two have had a great 'breakthrough' year, two most improved posters by far. There should've been an award along these lines, I did suggest it in that doomed thread Chest started.

And secondly:

Off topic has been brilliant this year. I know people go on about how the UKFF is on its arse

For me, off AND on topic has been superb this year. Who says it's on its arse? Some of the bitter old guard, upset that SiMania & Terje Rindal aren't populating the thread with posts about how superior Puro is? The forum is miles fucking better than it was several years ago. I know a few people were non pleased with certain 'pretentious' folk on here, but christ you look back several years and the pretence was a lot more prominent- and not in an entertaining (and bang-on correct) way in which it is today. You know Dearly Devoted Dexter? Well when I first came on here, everyone was like that. The feeling was that WWE was bad, Triple H was a massive cunt and RoH was the best thing since a 'Jerry Brisco/Dory Funk classic'.

I think one thing that has helped massively is the introduction of 'comments that dont warrant a thread' threads, and others of a similar vain. This has kept shit pointless threads to a minimum, meaning that new threads are generally more likely to worth looking into. These threads are like massive shit-filters, so fair play to Butch, Gladstone and whoever else has set these up. And props to TildeGuy~, for keeping the WWE PPV and transfer window threads in order.

• Paid Members
Who says it's on its arse? Some of the bitter old guard, upset that SiMania & Terje Rindal aren't populating the thread with posts about how superior Puro is?

I'm pretty sure Terje's favourite wrestler is Bret Hart, and I don't think Simania has ever made any kind of puro elitist post ever. I don't know why there has to be this pigeon-holing of fans where anyone who has an interest in non-WWE stuff is now considered some obsessive, elitist WORKRATE~! type when this is very rarely the case.

If it used to be that elitist puro snobs looked down on the WWE fans then it's good that that's changed, but WWE fans looking down on puro, lucha or indy fans isn't any better. I'd like it neither were the case because I'm a fan of wrestling that I like, regardless of where it comes from. That said, I've been told I'm in the puro smark category because I used to have Brother Yasshi in my avatar, so it might be too late for me.

Oh, and I don't think the forum's on it's arse or dying or whatever. People have always said stuff like that and it's always silliness. I just felt those digs at Terje and Simania were very wide of the mark. I think there's too much emphasis on trying to stamp out elitism that doesn't actually exist.

• Paid Members

Oh, well in that case it'd be a dig at me because I do miss Terje Rindal's posts. Either way I thought the comment mis-represented them. I don't miss his posts because I long for some mythical forum glory days when the puro elites ruled though; he was just knowledgeable, articulate and passionate when discussing wrestling and black women with gigantic arses.

Edited by JLM

Actually, I worded that wrong. I meant to say that I thought it was a dig at people who hark on about "When the forum was better". Nothing wrong with missing people who don't post that often anymore when they were quality. I mean, every time I read about someone with a chipped Xbox or looking for cheap XBL deals, I look at the thread pining, much like a dog looking out of the window waiting for it's owner to return with treats or an Angry Gates pic.

• Paid Members
Off topic has been brilliant this year. I know people go on about how the UKFF is on its arse, but its only on off topic really. On topic always has something going on. I love reading it more than actually posting in it. For me, off topic is like the bigger boys locker room, and when I venture in it I'm hiding the size of my knob. There's so many good posters in it and there's always something either funny, disturbing or news worthy going on. The UKFF's had a good year.

Can't disagree with any of this. Off-topic always has a great range of stuff going on. Obviously, I'm usually most interested in the sport and films, but I'll tell you what - there has been a great range of music stuff in there this year.

You've had the 80s and 90s music threads pop up occasionally and have more stuff thrown in them, threads dedicated to country and classical music have popped up, there has been Sev's always excellent top 50, as well as a couple of great threads dedicated to pop music and now one that has basically turned into a cheesy pop one. You also have the punk / metal one that is always popular and there have been several other threads dedicated to individual artists as well. The amount of tracks and artists that I've picked up on via this forum this year has been amazing.

Always keeps me from going mad when I'm stuck in the middle of a massive pile of dreadfully boring copywriting and, in the end, prompted me to finally stick my fiver in.

• Paid Members

I voted Gladstone but there are a number of worthy people on here.

2011 has probably been my favourite year on the UKFF by far. Both On and Off Topic have had their share of great threads and there are so many good posters that make this place part of my everyday routine.

Cheers, Mu'fuckas.

• Paid Members

My memory is hazy when it comes to specific individuals, but there used to be a strong puro (and indy) elitist mentality on here which was rather snobbish toward WWE fans, it was as though Da Meltz had dozens of children and they signed up on here. No knocks directly at Terje and Si, they were the first I could remember that posted about Japan, especially Terje. I wasn't even much of a WWE fan back then, wasn't enjoying the product at all, so this isn't a case of getting huffy if someone dare look down at the 'E.

My opinion stands, and its one that feels the forum these days is a barrel of laughs, back then you were more likely to come across pedantic smarks trying to out-knowledge each other. Not that its non-existent now, but nowhere as bad. This place is cracking, I think the decent posters spilling over from TWCF helped.

• Paid Members
You know Dearly Devoted Dexter? Well when I first came on here, everyone was like that. The feeling was that WWE was bad, Triple H was a massive cunt and RoH was the best thing since a 'Jerry Brisco/Dory Funk classic'.

That's not even nearly true. I've been almost exclusively a WWE fan in all the time I've been here and have never ever felt ashamed of it or been put down for it.

And you shit on people who used to love ROH but then Punk and Danielson are two of the most high profile wrestlers in the World right now and AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Paul London all went on to do really well for themselves in WWE/TNA so surely they must have been decent. I don't like the Indy stuff much myself but ROH was always a cut above.

I don't think the forum is as good as it was and probably never will. There are still plenty of cracking posts, as evidenced by the POTY thread. Lots of great stuff in the off-topic section too. And now some genius cunt has put an end to that shitty feud nonsense, we're all getting along nicely.

• Paid Members

Every internet forum over about 2 years old has a core element of people, presumably sitting in a rocking chair covered with a blanket and sipping Horlicks, who insist on telling us that it's not as good as it used to be round here. You could leave your login lying around and no-one would steal it!