TNA Genesis 2012 Discussion Thread

Vito

I know Roode's the heel, and he's meant to be selfish and all that, but it would be nice if he was capable of winning a main event match on PPV clean.I'm really not a big fan of DQ main event finishes to PPV anyway, but he's had a draw, and cheating to win etc before this. I do think it's possible for a heel to be a dominant champion and not have to be the chickenshit, and those finishes work better on TV shows rather than consecutive PPV main events.I suppose it's a difficult balance between character and not wanting to bury the opponent etc.

Gunner (w/ Rick Flair) Vs. RVDThe story going in to this match is that Gunner has been injuring people by delivering DDT's and Piledrivers to the exposed concrete floor, Gunner attempted to do this to RVD on last weeks Impact which led to RVD challenging Gunner to a match on PPV. In this match Rick Flair distracted the referee long enough for Gunner to deliver a DDT on RVD on the concrete floor before pinning him for the win. After the match RVD was loaded onto a stretcher and carried out of the arena by medics. Apparently RVD's contract is up soon and thankfully he hasn't signed a new one yet, hopefully he won't be back and Gunner will be able to use this injury angle to fuel his own momentum.

Just spotted this on Twitter: http://ringsidexcess.com/2012/01/09/rob-va...ts-genesis-ppv/Not sure how reliable a source this site is. Never used it before.

This was the first TNA PPV I had watched for a while and although I enjoyed some of the matches it just didn't feel like a PPV.The moment RVD was taken backstage on a stretcher the first thing that crossed my mind was that he was leaving. Can't see him doing much if he comes to the WWE though. Maybe Smackdown needs a new face?The main event could have ended better. Roode needs to get a clean win over a big star like Hardy to look like a credible champion. Even somehow cheating and getting the pin would have looked better.

I think Magnus has realised that this is probably his last chance to prove his worth in TNA and he really seems to be doing the best he can. Everything from his promos to his in-ring performance has improved dramatically since being paired with Joe.

Magnus certainly seems to have upped his game.

The X-Divison match was a good little opener.

Zema Ion and Jesse Sorensen have a bright future if they keep this work rate up.

The Monsters Ball match between Bully Ray and Abyss had one or two insane moments, such as the Cheese Grater to the balls move on Bully Ray, who by the way sold that move very well.

tna2.png

The other spot with Abyss being sandwiched between two Barbed Wire Boards with Bully Ray coming off the turnbuckles with a Senton.

tna1.png

Kurt Angle did not look good at all and was moving a lot slower due to his many injuries.

Main Event was good although we could have done without the DQ ending.

tna3.png

Overall an ok PPV from TNA

Take it with a pinch of salt but a couple of news sites (including PWTorch) claimed that Angle was deliberately taking it easy because he's still under the impression that he's getting an Olympic tryout.

• Paid Members

Meltzer said he was told it was because Angle is a physical mess and that he hasnt recovered from his hamstring tears and groin injury and is in incredible pain daily. Angle hasnt had a Kurt Angle match in months as well. That could be the end of him as a world class worker. He just doesnt look the same. Hope not, but there was a time he'd be amazing even with the injuries.Surprised the Torch even said that considering nobody believes even Angle thinks he's going to the Olympics. Its all publicity stunt.

• Paid Members

TNA's absolute biggest flaw is the parade of dreadful match finishes. Ugh. A couple of good finishes would have turned this into a thumbs-up PPV for me for sure, as it is, the show's solid in places. Also, I think Magnus has been massively underrated for some time. He's easily WWE material for me.I'd like to see RVD back in WWE too.

RVD has been going through the motions ever since he returned from his retirement, or whatever it was. He hasn't had a single standout match during his time in TNA, he always comes across as a guy who scrapes by with as little as possible and never bothered to bring his routine up to date, his matches in 2011 and 2012 are collages of his matches from fifteen years ago.

• Paid Members

I'd book Roode vs Hardy vs Angle vs Storm for the next PPV. Against All Odds, right?This RVD run in TNA reminds me of Jeff Hardy's first TNA stint, which is why I have some hope that RVD could be a player on a WWE return.

I enjoyed this event other than Devon vs The Pope which I had no interest in. Roode has a brilliant new orchestral spin on his entrance music which is perfect, Roode also fell on his face in the style of Flair which was a nice touch to the match. Bully Ray vs Abyss was a solid hardcore match which was enjoyable and the X division title match was brilliant. Bully Ray and Aries are both stand out performers right now and they're crowd interaction really adds to their performances.

Archived