Strange Eating Habits

Dead Mike

Stilton on a steak. Not a sauce but slices of Stilton. I'm not sure if that'd odd or not, I believe it may be some what unusual hence the post, but it is amazing if you haven't tried it.Battered black pudding is also a delight.

Battered black puddin is all the rage in Glasgow, and has been for years. I'm curious to know: What does a run of the mill chippy in England or Wales actually sell, apart from the obvious Fish? In Scotland we have deep fried pizzas, chicken, sausage, white pudding, haggis, mince pies and the like. Is Scotland so far ahead in the chip shop game that you don't have these delicacies down south?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Typical midlands chippy will sell fish, chips, fishcakes, sausages (either battered or plain), beefburgers (battered or plain) doner kebab, chicken kebab, Pukka pies, turkey sticks, mushy peas, curry sauce, gravy. Some sell pizzas, chicken or pickled eggs.

My local, and it's prob the best I've tasted, does cod, plaice, haddock, rock, huss, and then battered sausages, normal sausages, fishcakes, burgers,deep fried 1/2 chicken, meat pies, pickled eggs, er....What's everyone's favourite fish to have at a fish and chips then?

• Paid Members

Typical midlands chippy will sell fish, chips, fishcakes, sausages (either battered or plain), beefburgers (battered or plain) doner kebab, chicken kebab, Pukka pies, turkey sticks, mushy peas, curry sauce, gravy. Some sell pizzas, chicken or pickled eggs.

My nearest chippy, which just opened last year and is only about a 2-minute walk, does some gorgeous fried chicken. My health and bank balance are in serious danger.EDIT: Most chippies I know do chicken nuggets too. Maybe that's just an East Midlands thing, although I can't imagine things are quite that region-specific in the chip shop game.

• Moderators

In my neck, it's Fish (Nameless. Probably a fucking Sprat), Sausage, Cheeseburger, Chicken burger, Fry-It, Scallops, Peter's Pie, Roast Chicken (Fried, not roasted), Fishcake, sizeable array of half decent Chinese food.

In response to Chippy menu's the north, or at rather Preston, are a barren place.

Fish, Chips, Sausage, Meat and Potato Pies, Butter Pies (Potato and Onion), Peppered Steak Pies, Steak Pudding, Curry Sauce, Gravy, Mushy Peas and Scraps, mustnt forget scraps, Pickled Onions, Pickled Eggs, Barms

Battered Sausage and Scallops/Potato Fritters are rare as rocking horse shit up here.

Occasionally there are places that do Kebabs and Spam Fritters, Chicken Burgers and Spring Rolls. Many of the Chip Shops are asian owned (and of those some have started selling Samosas, and Fried Chicken etc), or Chinese, and those that arent stick to very traditional, very small menu's and have some really odd opening hours

My local chippy has only recently extending its opening hours to 4 days a week, 5-10 for tea, after years of only opening 8-10 Mon, Weds, Thursday, 5-6 and 8-10 Friday, and dinner times. Others include ones that open 12-1 and 4.30-6.30 , 4 days a week and so on.

Its not like being back in Glos, where my local chippy was open 11.15-2 and then 4.15- Closing time for the local pub (time varied) and pretty much did everything under the sun.

If you are ever in Lytham/Blackpool/Thornton Cleveleys, I recommend checking out Seniors Fish and Chip Shops as seen here, they are much better than the 'Gordon Ramsay has been to our shop' Whelans, which are helluva greasy and rank. Indeed Seniors has just been voted 3rd best Chippy in the UK for 2011, and regularly appears on those top 10 things on MSN.

• Paid Members

I'm loving spaghetti with brown sauce all over the top. Nothing else on it apart from the spaghetti and brown sauce. It actually is quite good.If you're feeling a bit game, put some Branston Pickle over the pasta rather than the brown sauce. Tangy.

Archived