Strange Eating Habits

Dead Mike

• Paid Members

Inspired by the chip shop discussion in the questions thread. Gravy on fish? Processed peas? Deep fried pies? What do you like that most wouldn't touch or what would you recommend that the masses are missing out on? I love hot buttered crumpets with pickled red cabbage on them. I've heard that peanut butter & marmite sandwiches are good too but am yet to partake.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hardly freakish but I cover Roast Dinners in Ketchup! Smother the bastards in the red stuff. Even at Christmas! Ketchup and Piccallil...the condiments of the gods. People always tell me that I'm spoiling the meal in doing so but for me it only enhances it. Always done it and always will!

• Paid Members

It's hardly freakish but I cover Roast Dinners in Ketchup! Smother the bastards in the red stuff. Even at Christmas! Ketchup and Piccallil...the condiments of the gods. People always tell me that I'm spoiling the meal in doing so but for me it only enhances it. Always done it and always will!

Would it be better or worse if I admitted I used to do the same but with salad cream?

• Paid Members

Personally, i think if you think this is weird, then you have a serious problem - that said, anyone i've ever told about these thinks im lying, or revolting.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Chocolate and Marshamallow Pizza. Pizza base, smothered in a nutella type spread with marshmallows on top, grilled until the whole thing melts together into a heavenly topping.I remember getting these religiously as a child from Asda during the initial Turtles boom back in the day. Heaven.

I once read an interview with Frank Skinner where he talked about his love for steak pie sandwiches, which consisted of a steak & kidney pie, with a slice of processed cheese on either side, in a sandwich slathered in brown sauce. Well, I tried this and instantly loved it, so much so that it became a regular friday night fixture between the ages of 16-18 - I'd do an hour weights sesh with my YORK barbell set at 8pm, quick shower, then reward myself with a steak pie sarnie just in time for the start of Nitro at 9, and then another one at the start of RAW an hour later. Even today, I can't open one of the Monday Night War nostalgia threads on here without thinking of my old friday night routine.Needless to say, this routine fell by the wayside in my late teens and early twenties when I became more interested in the gym and going out clubbing on a friday night, WCW folded and RAW was shifted to a thursday. Another major blow was that Greggs, for some unknown reason, stopped making steak & kidney pies and replaced them with the far inferior steak bake, leaving the only alternative as the Dicksons steak pie, which was about 40% crust and a poor substitute. Now I'm 30 and would rather dine on my own pubes than go clubbing on a friday night, and I often think about starting the routine again. Alas, I don't think my 30-year old metabolism could cope with it, and the lack of a decent friday night wrestling show means it wouldn't be the same. But I do think if I ever developed a terminal illness and was given 6 months to live, re-introducing the friday night double steak pie sandwich would be one of the first changes I'd implement to make the remainder of my life as enjoyable as possible.

• Moderators

Steak and Kidney pies and processed cheese go great. I used to get two pies, put a processed slice on top, nuke for 60 seconds, cover in Lidl's 27p Chilli Ketchup, and devour. It was a super treat.

A classic from my dad is a slice of Christmas Cake and a slice of strong cheddar on top. An amazing combo, preferable with a glass of port at the same time.

• Paid Members

Cheese chips and gravy was always a big hit at my school. I never gave it a go though.

As I said in the other thread...

We call them chippers up here, never been sure why we have to be different. Chips cheese and gravy for the win in any case.

I just spent a year in Canada and the national dish is called Poutine, it's just chips, cheese and gravy but they take it insanely seriously and it's everywhere.

When I have mushy peas (which is all too rarely these days, sadly), I create a hole in the middle of the slushy pile and make it into a 'vinegar lake', and then wait for the vinegar to seep into the peas. Tastes fucking right on.Another rad combination is chips and cheese from the greasy all night Turkish takeaway at 5AM after a night out, smothered in loads of chilli sauce. When I remember I ask them to put the chilli sauce on before the cheese, seems to be better that way.

Archived