Most over move in pro-wrestling?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Thought of this topic watching some matches from Survivor Series 1989. Has a move ever been more over than Jake Roberts DDT? I know there have been guys like Hogan and Austin who've been more over and whose finishers have generated a huge response when hit. However, the DDT seemed to be over like no other move. The fans would start yelling and chanting DDT as soon as Jake hit the ring. They'd chant for it throughout the match and if he even grabbed his opponent in a headlock there'd be a huge pop. Even though he never hit it half the time.Anyone think of any more?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Jerry Lawler's Piledriver certainly has to be up there, what with it being banned as well. SO when he would hit it, especially on a woman, the Mid-South Coliseum would go absolutely bananas. The Von Erich claw was super over as well. That would drive the crowds bandy.

I suppose the stunner was over, just not in the same way as that, like you say it always got massive reactions but there was never "demand" for it like the DDT. Technically not a move but anything involving the Dudleys and tables. How many other wrestlers can claim to make thousands of people chant about an inanimate object. Except maybe Al Snow.

W....O....R....M....

This.

• Awards Moderator

People like Jake or Lawler would have been over even without their move being stupidly over as well (which it was in both cases), because they were/are both masters at drawing crowds in regardless.For the popularity of a move having a massive effect on the overall popularity of the person doing it, I'd have to go with W-O-R-M . Hugely over, and even though Too Cool were mega-popular at the time, that move was the thing crowds liked and wanted most about Scotty 2 Hotty.EDIT: Balls, beaten to it by Gladstone. If I'd just written W-O-R-M as well I'd have got there first.

RKO is the main one currently I think.The unpredictability of it is cool and the crowd always seem to pop for it. In terms of crowd reaction it has to be the People's Elbow doesn't it? I have fond memories of watching the crowd going nuts and the flash bulbs going off as The Rock pulled of his elbow pad.

• Paid Members

Rhino's Gore and Paul Heyman's selling of it on commentary played a massive part in him getting over when we weren't really given many other reasons to care about him.

When I read the name of the topic three moves came to mind and those were Jake Roberts DDT, Steve Austin's Stone Cold Stunner and Diamond Dallas Page's Diamond Cutter (I'm surprised I'm the first to mention it). The reaction to the latter was always great as it was over, could come out of anywhere but probably the biggest reaction to it was the Diamond Cutter on Goldberg at Halloween Havoc 1998.

The sweet chin music always got a good reaction when the foot started stomping.Loudest reaction for a move I can remember was the Perfect Plex on Angle in the 2002 rumble match. Rightly so too.

Archived