TNA Nostalgia Thread

Loki

TNA's been going as long as ECW now, and has had heaps of PPVs and an ever-changing roster. I don't agree that it's lost momentum as much as I think it's as big as it can get really; ratings are good for Spike, and house shows are up and they just need to rebuild the PPV business.Anyway - remember when Konnan threw a shoe during a tag match? Anyone remember the big payoff to the Eric Watts v Don Callis feud? How about the international greatness of the X Cup? Or Red Shirt Security? What about the Kings of Wrestling? Give them their due, they'll try anything.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember how taken I was as to where the DDP/Raven/watts thing was going in early 2005, even if it didn'tTracy, Trinity and Dusty on the back of a truck in the back of the Universal lotThe Bentley BounceCassidy Riley as Raven's lackey and other such jobbers like David Young, Buck Quartermainn, D-Ray 300, Chaysn Rance etc.In the first year of Impact, having the ESPN-style scoreboard line at the top of the screen telling you the participants in a match, elapsed time etc.The few weeks when Generation Next minus Evans was paired togetherMonty Brown who seemed to have star written all over himAbyss drowning Christian in his pool and being a general monster with Jim MitchellTeam CanadaWhen Lance Hoyt was called Dallas, for some reason loved that name.Watching Xplosion on TWC and getting really excited for the next weeks ppv.Triple X doing Freebird rules.and probably the greatest thing in wrestling in the last decade, no kidding, Paparrazi Productions (the t-shirt of which I proudly have).In the Asylum days you really had no clue as to who was going to show up which was pretty cool to read about in the Apter mag that was going at that time (WOW I think). TNA from 05-06 was fucking great, and they did so much with what little they had. Turning Point 04 and Final Resolution 05 were two ppvs I remember getting a lot of wear and tear on my vcr, as did BFG 06.One of my favorite TWC memories was the massive catch-up they did of Impact to get us up-to-date with the States.

TNA has had it moments over the years, if all the good stuff came together at one period it would be brilliant. Anyway, my favourite bits are...- AJ Styles being awesome- The Tag Teams, in particular America's Most Wanted, followed on by the even better Beer Money (and didn't everyone at the time think they'd be shit?) The amazing LAX, Konnan was on fire, Homicide was a 5 foot beast and even Hernandez was scary as fuck. Triple X were even good and it gave Elix Skipper a lifetime in highlight reels, that hurricanrana of the Six Sided Cage is still one of the most jaw dropping moments in wrestling. Who cann also forget the MCMG and the year long struggle to gain the Titles. There were a good few more Tag Teams too.- Monty Brown, I was so exicted when Marcus Cor Von came to WWE, then he disappeared and hasn't been heard from since...- Christian Cage winning a World Title- Sting- The X Division - so many fine superstars with great in ring talents have passed through here, either to move on to different levels, or to leave the company, but it was, and i guess still is (for Aries and Kid Kash atleast) a good platform for good pure wrestlers.- oh and fuck, now. Bobby Roode and James Storm have been World Champions and the pushing of new wrestlers to the top.- X-Division/Kevin Nash/Paparazzi Productions- The time Rhino won the Title at Bound For Glory was a great moment too.- The 4 months when Pope was awesome, then Mr Kennedy came and took his push (in my opinion)I'm sure there are loads more too, i may edit/post if i think of more...

Money Brown, there's a blast from the past. They most definitely dropped the ball with him. Apparently he was in line for a title run in 2006 but then Christian and Angle came in and he was overshadowed.I started watching TNA at the end of 2005. I struggled to find one of their wrestlers that I didn't enjoy watching in 2006, even shit like A1 was tolerable.

I'm really shit with remembering PPV's and years and such, but I think somewhere around 05/06 the Sacrifice PPV was an absolute belter. Funnily enough the only match I can remember was the opener consisting of Lance Hoyt vs Abyss and it being better than it had any right to be.EDIT: It wasn't the opener but the PPV also had Samoa Joe vs AJ, Jerry Lynn vs Sean Waltman and Austin Aries vs Christopher Daniels as well as Alex Shelly vs Shocker. Man I miss these days.

• Paid Members

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Flying Elvis's. They were great. On a related note, whatever happened to Sonny Siaki? He was pushed very hard during the Russo S.E.X era. I always thought that S.E.X angle was pretty decent.Dusty Rhodes arguing with Nikita Koloff (who was only there about two weeks) and bringing out an old edition of Pro Wrestling Illustrated with Magnum TA on it to prove his point. That was an awesome interview. I believe Koloff has just turned and joined Russo's band of merry thugs.Russo's interview with Roddy Piper was rather strange. The "You murdered Owen Hart!" one.Jarrett had a match for the NWA Championship with Dusty Rhodes that was better than it had any right to be.

I'm pretty sure people soured on Sonny Siaki for breaking Candido's leg, which inevitably led to his death. He did end up in one of WWE's Developmental territories but either left or was kicked. I remember him trying to raise money for his brother who was left homeless by some natural disaster.

On a related note, whatever happened to Sonny Siaki? He was pushed very hard during the Russo S.E.X era. I always thought that S.E.X angle was pretty decent.

Remember reading a while back that Siaki donated a kidney to his brother which pretty much ended his wrestling career.
That'll be it. I knew it was something to do with his brother

• Paid Members

Wow, been going longer than ECW- really puts things into perspective. It's strange that its been around for ten years, I've been following it since day 1 and I'm sure many on here are in the same boat.There's been a lot of shit, mental booking, phases where the roster changed dramatically on a weekly basis but a lot of good stuff too. Looking back, the early days were a mess (Flying Elvises anyone), but the first few weekly ppvs gave us some cracking x division bouts featuring Low-Ki, AJ (who was detested by many on here and all on RIM), Jerry Lynn and Psichosis (or was it Juvi?).Imagine doing a dvd 'Tna: the story so far'- it'd be mental. A lot to pack in given the many frequent changes.

• Paid Members

The early X-Division programme between Lynn/ Styles and Ki was pretty awesome. Styles also had a couple of stunning matches with the Amazing Red in 2002/03

Archived