Legends/Old Timers in Wrestling

ItsClobberingTime

After watching Warrior's rant at Kevin Nash, telling him to pack his bag and go the fuck home after stealing the spotlight, I started thinking about the use of the older guys in wrestling in general.Now looking at Nash's run this time around, it was pretty limited, and he never got to bury CM Punk like many people thought he would. A short feud with HHH didn't exactly 'steal the spotlight' like Warrior claims, in my opinion anyway.Booker T still gets a great reaction, and his recent matches with Cody Rhodes were decent enough, and didn't seem to take away from Cody. If anything, he's been a great face to go against the heel Rhodes.Looking over at TNA, there are plenty of faces that are mostly used as undercard wrestlers these days, stepping aside to let guys like Roode, Styles, Storm etc be the main events, but still exist on the card.So do you feel legends/longer term wrestlers have a place on any card? Or are they 'stealing the spotlight'? I think it's a fine line, as some guys can definitely get the rub from working with guys like Ric Flair, Hogan etc who can't necessarily 'go' in the ring anymore. And Sting is still over and a great talker. Nash still gets a great reaction, and it's not like he's come in and won the title or anything.I think there's definitely still a demand for these older guys, and if the audience wants them rather than generic Indy wrestler A then why not? Or is it giving them the TV time why we don't give a shit about some of the other younger talent?

We don't give a shit about much younger talent because the way crowds are these days. It's not common to get a decent crowd especially within WWE where many of the crowd will be families and children. Although that is also to blame with the way they're booked. Both TNA & WWE are guilty for it but WWE have done a bad job at introducing new talent in the past few years. Some have just fucked off from the WWE and some just haven't worked out.For old timers in the business. It's essential of course. Some have done brilliant in their later runs and one I'm gonna name is Bully Ray. He's the best hes ever been at the moment and he's adding to the product. He's giving out some of his best promos, matches and is in the best shape of his career, the guy is huge. But it's a tough one as you have got many guys who don't give a fuck. Having the old names generates interest with the older fans and the majority of the time the older names know what they're doing compared to a younger talent.

I think Flair is a perfect example of an older guy who should be out of the main spotlight but is doing a fantastic job managing Gunner, he's really giving him that bit of an extra push and he's looking more like a star now he has the Flair seal of approval. Old timers make excellent managers IMO but if they do have to wrestle midcard is the best place for them to help get the younger, up and coming guysover.

Archived