Extending wireless network range

A-DUB

In my flat I struggle to get a consistent wireless signal for my laptop in my bedroom - the router seemingly being too far away. Unfortunately there is little scope for me to change the positioning of the router itself, so I've been looking at other options.From what I can see, my options are either a wireless repeater or a homeplug, but have no handle on the relative merits of either option.Has anyone had any similar experience/recommendations? Any help would be gratefully received.

In my flat I struggle to get a consistent wireless signal for my laptop in my bedroom - the router seemingly being too far away. Unfortunately there is little scope for me to change the positioning of the router itself, so I've been looking at other options.

From what I can see, my options are either a wireless repeater or a homeplug, but have no handle on the relative merits of either option.

Has anyone had any similar experience/recommendations? Any help would be gratefully received.

Homeplugs are superduper and obviously ethernet speeds, but a bit shit for things like laptops that you don't have permanently situated.

I'd suggest getting a better router - have you got the one your broadband provider gave you? I has similar issues and bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPAC-7800...1241&sr=8-1

and the difference is remarkable, not just wireless coverage but general stability and even the speed of the broadband. Plus it supports both ADSL and cable in case you change in the future.

What sort of networks does your laptop support? If it supports N, then you should definitely buy a router that supports N wireless protocol.

Or you could get a USB wireless receiver like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036H-Upgr...2089&sr=8-2

I was completely unable to access the Wifi in my kitchen - the router in the bedroom. With this gadget plugged in, it's a 4 or a 5 out of 5 bar reception all the time. It's a really handy bit of kit for taking on holiday, because rather than paying for hotel wifi you can often access many local residential wireless networks that the fools have left open.

Archived