recording Pay par views on Sky

El Dingo Capitano

Hey troops,

I've not ordered pay per view through Sky before but was thinking of booking the Rumble.

If I book can I just set it to record and watch it the following day? I know the pay per views get repeated but as far as I can tell only the first Live showing is in HD

Cheers in advance

Hey troops,

I've not ordered pay per view through Sky before but was thinking of booking the Rumble.

If I book can I just set it to record and watch it the following day? I know the pay per views get repeated but as far as I can tell only the first Live showing is in HD

Cheers in advance

Yes you can, the recording is stored until the Thursday evening I believe. I always record them and then watch on the Monday.

Hey troops,

Cheers in advance

Yes you can, the recording is stored until the Thursday evening I believe. I always record them and then watch on the Monday.

Pretty sure it's longer than just a few days. I think I had Survivor Series on my box for a couple of weeks before it was deleted.

Nevertheless, in terms of the OP's requirements as you say he should easily be able to watch the Rumble on the Monday

• Paid Members

Just to confirm what others have said, you will be absolutely fine Sky+'ing the live HD showing for watching later. This is what I do each time since, as you point out, the HD version is only shown once.

It will remain on your hard disk for about 3 weeks (the info box after you've recorded it tells you when it will be deleted).

I've never tried to then copy the recording for keeps/lending onto, say, a DVD:R, though. Not sure if there's a copy protection signal on the play back.

Just to confirm what others have said, you will be absolutely fine Sky+'ing the live HD showing for watching later. This is what I do each time since, as you point out, the HD version is only shown once.

It will remain on your hard disk for about 3 weeks (the info box after you've recorded it tells you when it will be deleted).

I've never tried to then copy the recording for keeps/lending onto, say, a DVD:R, though. Not sure if there's a copy protection signal on the play back.

I'm sure I attempted this once, however, I can't remember my findings. I don't recall a copy protection signal, but I may have attempted it on a 'free' PPV rather than a Box Office one. The one thing that stays in mind is the lack of a HD output on the sky box. So any recording onto a DVD would only be in SD

• Paid Members

If you've got a DVD recorder hooked up to the Sky+ Box then, ignoring the inability to do it in HD, are you able to record directly to the DVD recorder as it airs Live?

• Paid Members

I've recorded off the planner onto DVD too. A couple of times I had problems starting the recording exactly as the program starts, but starting the DVD on the Pre-show adverts worked...

From previous posts about this, I'm sure you can't record the HD showing, only the Standard Definition showing. You get both, no matter which one you actually order. It just depends if you've got the HD subscriptions or not.

you can record the HD one but you have to book it using your remote / sky box. if you phone up or book online it doesn't let you record it for some reason.

• Paid Members

The other thing you need to note is that you can only record it if your Sky box has the phone line plugged in. Didn't realise this until my phone line to the skybox got a fault and I had to ring up to book a previous PPV.

• Paid Members

Snake is right- you can only use your remote if your Sky box is hooked up to the phone line. If that's the case, you just set the show to record like any other and will be prompted to confirm the order when you do so.

Annoyingly, my Sky box isn't hooked up to the phone line, so I have to order PPV's either by phone or online (online is easier). The shit thing about doing this is that you can only watch the live broadcast and the repeats, you can't record it. If you try to, it tries to process your order and tells you that no phone line is connected. Sky really ought to sort that out, but they won't because they prefer you to have your phone line connected.

• Paid Members
Snake is right- you can only use your remote if your Sky box is hooked up to the phone line. If that's the case, you just set the show to record like any other and will be prompted to confirm the order when you do so.

Annoyingly, my Sky box isn't hooked up to the phone line, so I have to order PPV's either by phone or online (online is easier). The shit thing about doing this is that you can only watch the live broadcast and the repeats, you can't record it. If you try to, it tries to process your order and tells you that no phone line is connected. Sky really ought to sort that out, but they won't because they prefer you to have your phone line connected.

You also get to pay an extra

I'm sure I attempted this once, however, I can't remember my findings. I don't recall a copy protection signal, but I may have attempted it on a 'free' PPV rather than a Box Office one. The one thing that stays in mind is the lack of a HD output on the sky box. So any recording onto a DVD would only be in SD

Surely the hdmi is a HD output?!

Archived