Internet / banking fraud

Kaz Hayashi

What Bank are you with?

I had someone try to use my card in Peru of all places and my bank just blocked it, and phoned me up asking me about all my transactions etc. No money was ever taken from my account in the end but it stung because i'm always so careful with my Bank Details etc, had to get a new card an pin number!

Its an absolutely infuriating experience and i'm sorry to hear its happened to you mate, I just don't understand why they didn't put a hold on your account, change your card and pin the first time! Mind boggling.

• Paid Members

Some bastard gave me a real problem early last year - tried to use my card to sign up for a golf club membership in Lowestoft, and led to the cancellation of all of my UK cards, which is a bitch when you're in America. Took me months to sort it all out, and in the end it turned out that they hadn't even managed to steal any money.

Never have, thankfully but it constantly worries me this kind of thing. Came home from work a few months back and the wife said "Oh we got an email from the bank saying our account was getting blocked, I tried to log-in but didn't know the password".

Now if she wasn't hopeless at remembering passwords then we'd have been in a lot of bother, since that email was indeed a scam one. Then again, if she wasn't hopeless with passwords she'd maybe know better about scam bank emails.

I've never been caught out, but I do worry as I'm pretty poor at keeping track of my money. I always know vaguely how much is in the accounts, but I don't keep particularly accurate track of it, especially when I'm out and about. So if someone was to get a hundred quid or more, I'd notice it pretty quick, but if it was smaller amounts spaced out, I might not for quite a while. That said, now I'm not drinking it should be easier to keep tabs!

• Paid Members
I've never been caught out, but I do worry as I'm pretty poor at keeping track of my money. I always know vaguely how much is in the accounts, but I don't keep particularly accurate track of it, especially when I'm out and about. So if someone was to get a hundred quid or more, I'd notice it pretty quick, but if it was smaller amounts spaced out, I might not for quite a while. That said, now I'm not drinking it should be easier to keep tabs!

Someone could loot the fuck out of my UK account, as I don't look at it from month to month.

• Paid Members
What Bank are you with?

I had someone try to use my card in Peru of all places and my bank just blocked it, and phoned me up asking me about all my transactions etc. No money was ever taken from my account in the end but it stung because i'm always so careful with my Bank Details etc, had to get a new card an pin number!

Its an absolutely infuriating experience and i'm sorry to hear its happened to you mate, I just don't understand why they didn't put a hold on your account, change your card and pin the first time! Mind boggling.

It's HSBC, I let them know I was upset with their lack of ability and common sense concerning security. The first time it happened should have been the last based on the retoric they spewed out.

I'm an anal bugger, always been very cautious, covering machines when getting cash out, always take out money to avoid paying with my card, NEVER log on banking on public machines and usually check account online once a week. Hence finding out about the fraud, seeing as it didn't raise an eyebrow at hsbc, even more shocking after frauds happened once in the same month, let alone 3 separate times.

Also, if hsbc phone a customer concerning their account, they ask the customer for passwords and dates of birth, is it just me or is that completely backwards?

Once the dust settles and I hopefully get to keep my own grand and a half, it might be time for a new bank

Just a couple of months ago, I had a few hundred taken over the space of about 3 weeks. The first time I rang the bank they advised me to contact the company that took the amounts and try to clarify it with them (an internet company I'd never heard of). After an initial phonecall, they rang me back about an hour later and an Indian bloke asked for my account details so they could investigate further. This might have been a legitimate request, but there was absolutely no chance of me complying. He said he understood, and to send their site an email about the problem instead. While I was waiting for a response to that email, there were another 5 unsolicited withdrawals attributed to that company on my account.

This time, I told the bank in no uncertain terms that I wanted to cancel my card rather than arse around waiting for a response from a company I didn't know was above board. Credit to them, they refunded everything and explained that I'd have to sign a form stating that all the suspicious transactions were fraudulent. Aside from a few more withdrawals the following week (which the bank said must have been already pending on my account when I cancelled the card, and were immediately refunded), I've had no more problems since. Fortunately, all of these withdrawals were made on a card which was due to expire a few weeks later, and since it's expired I've not used my new card online and doubt I ever will. Although I've tightened up a lot on my internet security and anti-viruses since, the whole experience has left me convinced it's not worth the risk. Times are hard enough financially without these utter cunts trying to bleed people dry.

Not in the same league obviously but I currently have my eye on a weird 10p charge credited to Sony in my pending transaction list.

I'd be really wary of that. From my previous experience of working for a bank, fraudsters with your details sometimes try and put a very small card payment through on an account to see if it works before going for the big transactions. Even stuff like

What Bank are you with?

It's HSBC, I let them know I was upset with their lack of ability and common sense concerning security. The first time it happened should have been the last based on the retoric they spewed out.

I'm an anal bugger, always been very cautious, covering machines when getting cash out, always take out money to avoid paying with my card, NEVER log on banking on public machines and usually check account online once a week. Hence finding out about the fraud, seeing as it didn't raise an eyebrow at hsbc, even more shocking after frauds happened once in the same month, let alone 3 separate times.

Also, if hsbc phone a customer concerning their account, they ask the customer for passwords and dates of birth, is it just me or is that completely backwards?

Once the dust settles and I hopefully get to keep my own grand and a half, it might be time for a new bank

Im surprised, HSBC are usually very good. But I too have had them ring me up and ask for my password and date of birth. I explained to them on the phone how ridiculous it was... so I basically asked them to confirm WHY they were calling (I was expecting a call back due to my mortgage) and thankfully they were able to give me a full answer which I could trust.

But yeah... backwards.

I feel for you, the worst I had was the opposite... I had a overly sensitive security rep at HSBC it would seem. My card wouldn't work so I rang them to find out why. Turns out they cancelled the card (thanks for telling me) due to suspicious payments.

Naturally I inquired what suspicious payments. Their response? Apparently a company called "ott" had been taking money out of my account every month.

"Ott"? Can you spell it that for me?

"Sure. Ott... spelt... 0... 2..."

Basically the daft sod on the end of the phone had cancelled my card because they had never heard of 02. They cancelled my credit card BECAUSE of my monthly pay as you go phone bill!

Dumbell! Well at least they were over cautious.

Archived