Cornette thinks WWE will be in trouble after Vince

Jetta's G-string

I was going from what I heard on a Misawa interview, but he could've just been romantising the fact he ripped a massive chunk of business estate from a still grieving widow.

Apparently I don't believe in middle grounds. Sorry it came out harsher than anticipated.

• Paid Members

I can only assume that his comment about them thinking wrestlers should look like bodybuilders came from him knowing them personally. Especially since he was in charge of developmental when guys that like Snitsky got called up and put in a major storyline well before they were ready.

If it was a comment about the product today then, yes, it's mental.

I think he's both right and wrong really. Vince dying will definitely be a massive loss for WWE. The stock price dropped significantly when they faked his death on RAW, to the point that I'm sure the Corporate site had to acknowledge that he was still alive. If Investors have so little confidence in anyone but McMahon running WWE that they'll bail out at the slightest hint that he was dead, without even waiting for confirmation, what are they going to be like when it's clear that he won't be coming back? Same goes for TV companies, advertisers etc.

I do think he's wrong to say that Triple H's vision of what a star should look like will have a negative effect on the company though. Mainly because I find myself agreeing with Triple H and Vince. The key word is "star", not wrestler. Talents great and everything but ultimately it's looks that create fans. The Great Khali might've been shite in the ring but anytime I watched wrestling with a non-fan and he came out, the reaction was always "Holy shit! That guy's a fucking monster". When Daniel Bryan comes out that reaction is more along the lines of "Who's the skinny cunt?" It's hardly limited to wrestling either. I seriously doubt Schwarzenegger would've got as much work in the 80's if he looked like Mark Briscoe.

I think Cornette's still got the mentality of booking for a local territory that everybody in the area watches like it's a sports team, and those days are long gone, and as much as I do like the guy, it's impossible to take anything he says too seriously after his last run in TNA. It'd be one thing if he'd refused to talk about Russo or whatever but don't insist you like the guy, and his work, and then immediately go back to burying him as soon as you've been fired and need to sell shoot interviews.

Vince McMahon did a lot of things for professional wrestling, achieved things that no one ever thought was possible with pro wrestling but people measure a wrestling company by 2 things, star power and success and WWE has both and always have both because they are the top dog, everyone looks to them now when they want to watch wrestling or see what is happening in the world of pro wrestling. The problem is people now tend to take a little peek and then ultimately shut the curtain again. The only people really watching WWE are young fans that have just started getting into it these past few years or long time fans that will never stop watching, they're hooked for life, they're never NOT gonna watch Raw on a Monday night, they're never NOT gonna watch the PPVs.

That's a different kind of star power and success than what everyone else associates with pro wrestling. Those that don't even watch it casually and have no desire to watch it but they do know when it's popular because when it is, everyone knows someone who watches wrestling and there is always names that get thrown about. The fact of the matter is WWE hasn't mattered to anyone outside of their little wrestling circle in at least 10 years and as far as the average person on the street is concerned the last big names in wrestling were The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin so when you look at things from the average person on the street's perspective, WWE hasn't done well at all. They were always famous for reinventing themselves, creating new stars well.....the clock's been ticking for nearly 10 years now and there's no one setting the world on fire. No record ratings, oh actually there is record ratings........some of the lowest ratings in the history of the company have occured in recent years, more specifically in the last 12 months and really no star power to show for it. John Cena is simply the best out of a bad bunch.

So by all means talk about Vince the genius and how great it is but the facts are he hasn't done a damn thing in 10 years and if you don't think him buying up his competition had anything to do with that then you are fooling yourselves. WWE is preaching to their very own choir and they always will and right now that choir is made up of young kids and adults and who just can't let go of the make believe world of WWE. As every day passes, Vince loses more and more credibility as being a 'genius' and 'visionary', the only time he did anything ground breaking was when he was forced to think on his feet. There is also a part of me that misses how things used to be in WWE. It seems all of the real stars of wrestling are either dying or retiring or are in TNA. I think Vince is one of those guys. When Vince does die or retire my memories of him will be from years ago, even 2005/2006 when the character was still believable. Shawn Michaels and Undertaker are just shells of their former selves, Triple H can still go and everyone would love to see him get one more run as a ruthless, violent, badass heel but it's not gonna happen so my memories of him will be from years ago when he used to be good. Same with Hulk and Flair in TNA. Creatively the business is in a bad place right now and the wrestling i used to love is well and truly dead. You're damn right Danial Bryan and Zack Ryder lost viewers, you're damn right investors panicked when they thought Vince died for real. It's just people that watch and cling onto a business based on how it used to be.

It will always be there though! It will survive on VHS tapes and DVDs. We can all relive the good old days of wrestling as much as we want, as many times as we want. It's the young fans i feel bad for, they don't know how good wrestling used to be.

• Paid Members

Vince was able to play with the future, from his start to present, we have seen the birth of national tv, ppv, home computers, advertising booms, Internet, all forms of media.

The test now lies with keeping up to date with the sub trends (Facebook/ twitter) etc and manipulating them. Apps, the new frontier of games, 3d events for tv, etc.

I think they are a brilliant a machine, but they could possibly be quicker off the Mark, the wwe channel has been takes about for a while, I still hope they eventually move to sky 1 rather than sky sports (new markets of people). I'm sure the majority of you could think of at least 1 road wwe could venture down, if they haven't already, to do a better job.

It's not a knock on them, it's a case of technology moving so quickly compared to when vince rocked the 80's. As long as they move with it they will always be incredible.

Have to agree with comments made about jimmy.C being deluded. I like him but wwe currently have some fun shapes and sizes, get some cool costumes and gimmicks on the scene (such as kongs new one) takers, Kane etc etc, we will have stuck gold.

All in all, wwe will be safe as houses, just that vince will be missed.

Vince McMahon did a lot of things for professional wrestling, achieved things that no one ever thought was possible with pro wrestling but people measure a wrestling company by 2 things, star power and success and WWE has both and always have both because they are the top dog, everyone looks to them now when they want to watch wrestling or see what is happening in the world of pro wrestling. The problem is people now tend to take a little peek and then ultimately shut the curtain again. The only people really watching WWE are young fans that have just started getting into it these past few years or long time fans that will never stop watching, they're hooked for life, they're never NOT gonna watch Raw on a Monday night, they're never NOT gonna watch the PPVs.

That's a different kind of star power and success than what everyone else associates with pro wrestling. Those that don't even watch it casually and have no desire to watch it but they do know when it's popular because when it is, everyone knows someone who watches wrestling and there is always names that get thrown about. The fact of the matter is WWE hasn't mattered to anyone outside of their little wrestling circle in at least 10 years and as far as the average person on the street is concerned the last big names in wrestling were The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin so when you look at things from the average person on the street's perspective, WWE hasn't done well at all. They were always famous for reinventing themselves, creating new stars well.....the clock's been ticking for nearly 10 years now and there's no one setting the world on fire. No record ratings, oh actually there is record ratings........some of the lowest ratings in the history of the company have occured in recent years, more specifically in the last 12 months and really no star power to show for it. John Cena is simply the best out of a bad bunch.

So by all means talk about Vince the genius and how great it is but the facts are he hasn't done a damn thing in 10 years and if you don't think him buying up his competition had anything to do with that then you are fooling yourselves. WWE is preaching to their very own choir and they always will and right now that choir is made up of young kids and adults and who just can't let go of the make believe world of WWE. As every day passes, Vince loses more and more credibility as being a 'genius' and 'visionary', the only time he did anything ground breaking was when he was forced to think on his feet. There is also a part of me that misses how things used to be in WWE. It seems all of the real stars of wrestling are either dying or retiring or are in TNA. I think Vince is one of those guys. When Vince does die or retire my memories of him will be from years ago, even 2005/2006 when the character was still believable. Shawn Michaels and Undertaker are just shells of their former selves, Triple H can still go and everyone would love to see him get one more run as a ruthless, violent, badass heel but it's not gonna happen so my memories of him will be from years ago when he used to be good. Same with Hulk and Flair in TNA. Creatively the business is in a bad place right now and the wrestling i used to love is well and truly dead. You're damn right Danial Bryan and Zack Ryder lost viewers, you're damn right investors panicked when they thought Vince died for real. It's just people that watch and cling onto a business based on how it used to be.

It will always be there though! It will survive on VHS tapes and DVDs. We can all relive the good old days of wrestling as much as we want, as many times as we want. It's the young fans i feel bad for, they don't know how good wrestling used to be.

Well said.

P.S. WWE will never again reach the heights that they did during the Monday Night Wars.

Of course Jim Cornette is correct.... just look historically at other examples.

Mcdonalds collapsed when Ray Kroc died. Ford Motor Company pretty much became non existant when Henry Ford died, same with Toyota when Toyoda died, and obviously Apple fell on its arse when Steve Jobs died last year. **Sarcasm off**

This comment from Cornette just demonstrates the difference between Cornette and Vince, Vince is a businessman, Cornette is really just a wrestling fan who could cut a promo.

• Paid Members

A pretty good promo at that!

He was a decent photographer and was able to carry a badminton racket with ease.

In fairness, he is great at what he does, which in terms of running a successful wrestling company, equates to about 5% of what vince has done and does do.

Put it this way, I believe jimmy could have you killed, yeah he would need to phone new jack and then he would obviously shout it from the roof tops while trying to cash in on the DVD sales after phoning rf video with the details.

Where as vince could have you killed quickly and quietly, no one would know, and he could still some how make a profit.

Archived