Cornette thinks WWE will be in trouble after Vince

Jetta's G-string

Jim Cornette, who worked as a senior member of creative at the birth of the Attitude Era, has told Power Slam in a recent interview that he believes WWE are in trouble when Vince McMahon dies and that he is unsure as to whether Triple H or anyone is really qualified to run the company in his place.

Paul Levesque (aka Triple H) was promoted in September 2010 to the position of WWE

• Paid Members

Has Cornette actually seen WWE in the last 5 years, the stupid old fucker? Because if he had then he would have realised that this "jacked up bodybuilder" shit is what he THINKS the WWE is still like because he's such a myopic pillock. I think he should fuck off.

It won't be the same without Vince. Vince to me is the face of the WWE, It's going to be a very sad day when Vince finally goes. If Vince had to plan his own funeral, I'm sure he would put it on PPV. Im sure something along those lines would happen if Vince had his way.

I think Triple HHH will do a good job, bringing a different approach to the company. Bringing in Kharma and Sin Cara to me were both great ideas (sure Sin Cara flopped but that's not Hunters fault). The only thing I'd be concerned with is the business relationships Vince has made over the years, would they still be as strong with Hunter in the role?

If Vince is slowly starting to ease his scheduled now It's only a matter of time before he's done full time. I don't think Vince will ever not have input, I really believe he will be working untill he dies. I really hope Vince lives till he's like 100 or something stupid like that, we'd all miss Vince c'mon!

Has Cornette actually seen WWE in the last 5 years, the stupid old fucker? Because if he had then he would have realised that this "jacked up bodybuilder" shit is what he THINKS the WWE is still like because he's such a myopic pillock. I think he should fuck off.

I agree utterly, Cornette doesn't seem to have a clue.

CM Punk and Daniel Bryan = jacked up bodybuilders? You couldn't think of two World Champs in WWE could have who were more suited to what Cornette likes!

• Paid Members

There is no-one else like Vince in terms of being able to do what Vince did i.e. the vision, national expansion, WrestleMania, prime time TV etc. However in terms of no-one being able to replace Vince now and being able to lead the company to what it has acheived over the last five years or so with the resources available to them - maintain the status quo/slight decline - I'm sure there are quite a few who could do the job.

Whether or not they are prepared to put the kind of hours in that Vince has been reported to dedicate to his work remains to be seen. I might have suggested that Hunter has the same passion but with a wife and three little ones, I can't see him living up to the "barely ever sleeping" McMahon example.

I'm just sick of Cornette's sheer self importance, is there ANYTHING this man doesn't have an opinion on, is there a single interview request he refuses? Maybe he should focus a little closer to home, on making ROH remotely watchable, it's like a Conference league manager in football slagging off United for being unable to find a successor to Fergie when he retires.

When I think of this I think of All Japan in 1999. That's when Giant Baba died and Misawa took off with several top stars to form NOAH, it was due to the idea that when Baba died, the soul of All Japan died. (At least I think that was the case)

WWE will always be the forbearer. The question isn't who is qualified to replace Vince but which company is qualified to replace WWE. TNA and ROH are fine and dandy but they will never be number one. WWE may be different and will probably stumble getting use to it's new position, but I can't imagine any company being able to take advantage of it to really cause any damage to the WWE.

Vince will obviously be a big loss but Triple H is someone who works very hard. He has the old school philosophy of making things mean more by not doing things in excess which is something I appreciate.

WWE aren't likely going to be in trouble after Vince goes. Maybe they won't break revolutionary ground but, as he said, they have a lot of money. They'll need to freshen things up from time to time (like now) but, in general, they've been lazy for years prior and still turned big enough profits. They're the only player in town at the moment really. The WWE's future rides on their network they're introducing. If that doesn't take off, there's a chance WWE could get kicked off of a network and have no one interested after declining ratings but that is unlikely. But just in case, WWE's network needs to be successful. I think their worries should be more with the network and being on the pulse somewhat with social media more than Hunter taking over. I believe he'll be fine.

And in regards to the same philosophy of pushing 'jakked up bodybuilders', Cornette can be funny on shoot interviews and make some good points but this to me shows a lack of understanding of wrestling that will appeal to the masses. I also didn't agree with his vision of how the Invasion should have been booked. His point doesn't hold any weight at the moment considering Bryan is World champion, Punk is WWE champion, Ryder is US champion, Rhodes is Intercontinental champion etc.

Thing that gets on my nerves with Cornette is that he openly admits to being focussed on ROH to the extent that he doesn't even watch WWE, yet still goes on like he's sat in front of Raw every week waiting to critique. I like him, and would still gladly listen to him, but he's the type that is so sycophantic to whomever he's working for at the time that it's impossible to get some straight answers. At the moment, he's entrenched in Ring of Honour, which I don't follow, so I couldn't give a fuck what he thinks. If he went back to WWE, he still wouldn't be even-handed, but at least he might pontificate a bit more on some things I take an interest in and do so with some actual context. Funny how he never uttered a bad word whilst in TNA, but went at Russo, Dixie and everybody else with both barrels the moment he left. I get not slagging off your gaffer, but to the extent he's done it is ridiculous.

On-Topic, I think we all realise a dead Vince will be an enormous loss, but the loss is far smaller than if he'd died (or gone in the nick, I suppose) back in the mid-90s. Assuming they don't completely collapse somehow, the polished global phenomenon that the company is today is the result of smart (financial, philosophical and developmental) investments made from profits of the boom. I reckon he'll leave behind something behind that would take a real fucking balls up to bring down. Not to mention the fact that even now, HHH and Steph seem suitable replacements, let alone with another 15-20 years as VKM's understudies.

From more of an overall company infastructure standpoint, I often wonder how today's guys will fare as tomorrow's old timers. They're all making decent money and by all accounts, living quieter lives on the road and taking the advice of the smart ones with properties and savings. Will any of them be arsed enough to go out and be road agents and lackies for the sheer love of the game if they've got money to burn for the rest of their days? If somebody like a Kofi Kingston can bank $5-10m or so between when he debuted and say...10 years time when he hangs it up, what would really pull him back in if he can't be arsed with the WWE way in his greying days?

• Paid Members

Cornette's a fucking goon. That quote about bodybuilders is as daft as his "ROH gains 1 million viewers a week" line from a few weeks ago, which even Cornette's mate Meltzer scoffed at. Pissing himself, might have been the words I was looking for actually. Ring Of Honor is fucked with him in charge. I bought into the bullshit and actually watched Final Battle. It was a card filled with people working incredibly hard, only to have their efforts ruined by Cornette's lack of understanding of what his audience wants. It deserved the criticism it got. He's worse than Russo. At least you get the occassional laugh out of Russo.

Bring back Gabe and Feinstein. At least RF got Ring of Honor on NBC for a few minutes.

• Paid Members

I love Cornette as a worker and even when he booked SMW. But he just doesn't have the capabilities to book a promotion on a bigger scale, which is what ROH is attempting to do. He just cannot do that at all. He is fucking shit at it. I imagine Cornette would be harder to deal with than Russo in meetings. You just have to contain Russo's nuttiness. But yeah Cornette needs to stop talking absolute bollocks.

When I think of this I think of All Japan in 1999. That's when Giant Baba died and Misawa took off with several top stars to form NOAH, it was due to the idea that when Baba died, the soul of All Japan died. (At least I think that was the case)

Wasn't that more to do with Musawa and his cronies clashing with Motoko Baba over how the company should be run?

It always seemed like the boys just spat their dummies out to me.

• Paid Members

Wasn't that more to do with Musawa and his cronies clashing with Motoko Baba over how the company should be run?

I have never heard many glittering things about Motoko.

Bring back Gabe and Feinstein. At least RF got Ring of Honor on NBC for a few minutes.

Nice.

This came up in a thread a few weeks ago, but Cornette, Russo and Heyman are all EXACTLY alike in their tremendous ability to contribute to different parts of the picture but largely unable to manage everything else by themselves. They all refuse to work with each other for the very things they're all guilty of, if you know what I mean. Stick them all under Vince (or maybe...maybe Bischoff or Watts) and tell them to fucking get along and you've probably got one of the best shows ever.

I have never heard many glittering things about Motoko.

Other then her alleged fetish for blonde American's I know bugger all about her to be honest.

Archived