First wrestling match you watched of 2012

air_raid

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to watch Ricochet vs. Chuck Taylor from PWG Steen Wolf today, since I just skipped to the last two matches when I watched it originally. Goes a bit mental in the second half of the match, and there's a nearfall that made me wanna kill both guys, but it's not enough to ruin a fun match. These two guys just click brilliantly.

Not being interested in new year in the slightest, I did happen to be watching wrestling through the bells. I was watching Halloween Havoc '91 - not sure exactly which match was on at the stroke of midnight, probably either the Phantom v Z-Man or the Patriots v Enforcers. Pretty shit event btw.

I actually love that show but it's perhaps due to the fact I was a kid when I first watched it, I loved the eletric chair match one of the guity plesures of mine I guess.

Anway I was watching Lou thez :)

• Paid Members
I found that in my cupboard on vhs recently. Isn't that the Robocop show?

Yes, although I prefer to think of it as the "Sid in a suit" show.

I put on Flair Vs Sting from The Clash Of The Champions in June '94, quite a good start to the year!

There really is no such thing as a bad match between the pair in WCW for the most part. The last match I watched before bed was their match from Great American Bash 1990. Flair did everything he could to make Sting look like The Man and it came across as a real watershed moment.

I was watching Halloween Havoc '91

Sweet lord. Was your resolution to commit suicide?

I was watching Halloween Havoc '91

Sweet lord. Was your resolution to commit suicide?

Nah, got Great American Bash 1991 tucked away just for that, along with KOTR 95 on hand in case that doesn't finish me off. That Battlebowl bullshit was pretty testing on the ol' will-to-live also.

Worst thing about that Starrcade cack was that you only had to look a few nights earlier to the cracking looking (and significant) show they ran at the Omni to see the type of stuff they could easily have chosen to put on PPV instead.

Halloween Havoc did have it's moments I guess. Eaton/Taylor was a good match, you had Rude's unveiling which was basically the start of the Dangerous alliance, a passable main event with Luger and Simmons, the Enforcers still being quite fun even when working with shit, and Austin/Dustin got pretty good towards the end.

Anyways, never mind, i'm done with all that now. I'm about good to go with Clash18 and Superbrawl 2 (despite having seen most of the good sounding stuff through cherry-picking odd matches), so all that 1991 silliness will soon feel like a distant memory :)

I decided to watch the 25th December edition of Florida Championship Wrestling on youtube this morning, so the first match I watched in 2012 was Mike Dalton vs. Peter Orlov.

Not very exciting in itself, although I do believe it was the first televised appearance of FCW's new ring announcer (and wrestling podcast legend) Rob Naylor.

• Paid Members

Flair vs HHH from the last Raw of 2007. It was brilliant, even better than I remembered. Flair had to win to keep his career going and HHH had to win to get a spot in the Rumble, so you could see the DQ finish coming a mile off, didn't hurt it though. J.R was on fire on commentary, helping to get the idea over that this actually would be the end of Ric's career. Ric helped add to that thought by actually connecting with a move from the top rope! The crowd were hot for the whole match, and came UNGLUED when Flair locked in the Figure Four! Eventually Regal interferes to punch Ric, screwing HHH out of his Rumble chance, and inadvertently saving Flair's career. We get the nice embrace between HHH an Flair to end the show.

Real forgotten gem between two guys with amazing chemistry. Ideally it's what all tv main events should be like, easy to emotionally invest in (even watching it completely out of context four years later,) good action, got a hot angle behind it, and it leaves you with a reason to tune in next week. Simple!

Ive been doing a WWE ppv marathon for a while now, had a break over Christmas so getting back into it now with Vengeance from 05.

Carlito vs. Shelton was my first match of the year for the Intercontinental title, the crowd seemed so into this fun match and made both wrestlers and the title seem important.

About to watch one of my fave matches of all time, HBK-Angle Mania rematch and will finish with the Batista-HHH Cell match to finish their awesome fued.

Unfortunately Im going to have to sit through the Great American Bash 05 tomorrow.

Makoto vs Cheerleader Melissa from AJPW. .

I can never understand why Makoto is so highly regarded in joshi. She looks dangerous and sells to the mat.

Anyhow, back on topic - I stuck on NEO from August 2008 last night and the opening match was Kana vs Nanae Takahashi, the beginning of the Passion Red stable/faction.

Great little match between 2 of my NEO favourites

Archived