WWE selling anti Cena shirts

Dreamers of Dreams

Why is there the assumption on here that if someone hates Cena then they're automatically an idiot?

For me its not Cena hater = Idiot. People do genuinely dislike him. me included.

But to dislike him so much you buy a t-shirt showing your hatred, I find that idiotic. It doesn't just stop at wrestling though.

It's more being on the hate bandwagon I find idiotic. If I see someone with an I Hate Justin Bieber Badge, then I don't think I will have much to talk about with that person.

I might make a badge about that person to voice my hatred. maybe even a tshirt... theres an idea!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not strange, it's fucking genius. There are a vocal number of people that despise WWE's biggest cash cow. Here is the method to which they can make money off said people. Part with your hard-earned cash to voice your disapproval at our constant pushing of the man you hate!

The question isn't why they have done this, it's why they didn't do it sooner.

That's exactly what I thought. If anything they should have done this earlier. Obviously they wouldn't have done it early on in his run when they were hoping the boos would just go away if they ignored them, but from 2006-08 when they started acknowledging them and even deliberately working the split reaction into some matches (vs HHH, vs Sabu, vs RVD, vs Batista, etc.) this would have been a good idea.

The other week I was watching some Raws from a year ago the Nexus feud and just after when he worked that mini-programme with Vickie and Dolph and the cheers for Cena were massive. Far, far, far bigger than he's getting now. For as much as the "Cena gets fired" angle was a letdown his actual attacks on the Nexus seemed to go down well and even stuff like Nexus walking out on Barrett and him getting rehired the next week got the 'right' reactions. Even in his segments with new WWE Champ The Miz around that time Cena was clearly the one with the crowd on his side.

Even post-Mania I saw some of his stuff with Riley and Miz and it was still 70% Cena so I don't think The Rock thing damaged him as much as I would have thought. His anti-Rock rap actually went over pretty well.

That said, thanks to the Punk feud this summer Cena hate seems to be back in full-swing so maybe it is a good time to bring one out after all. Maybe that was their idea all along. Piper's "the boos are getting louder" promo the other week certainly seemed to be encouraging the idea that Cena is this figure who creates split reactions and the Kane and Rock feuds are actually built on it to the extent that without some people booing Cena they wouldn't work.

There's some daft fans out there who will buy it. Personally I'm not a fan of him, I think hes good at his job but I'm bored as fuck with him.. and have been for a while. When attending events I chant 'cena sucks' and slag him off on a thread on here but that's the furthest I'd go.

I don't see booing him and buying a t-shirt that does the same thing as that far apart.

Faces have been getting booed and heels have been getting cheered since at least the start of the TV era. Lister or someone will probably be able to point to examples before that.

I don't see how booing 'John Cena - the character' is that different to those fans who would cheer Flair over Steamboat, or the Midnight Express over the Rock N Rolls, or the Horsemen over Dusty, or nWo over WCW or Orndorff over Hogan if you're a WWF fan. Even in the Attitude Era there were fans who cheered Corporate Rock over Mankind/Austin (a minority of fans for sure as WM XV proved but still there).

As long as the people buying tickets/buying the shirts have fun at the event I don't think it really matters.

Meh, the Cena haters just want to be the 'cool' heels. One day when Cena's gone they'll be moaning about the loss of a genuinely fantastic worker and how the WWE doesn't have any anymore.

Quite possibly, yeah. I can certainly see Cena being regarded as an alltime great in years to come. I think he's close to that status now but the real test will indeed be when he's gone. I can see him being remembered up there with Sammartino/Hogan/Austin/Rock as (W)WWF/E's top babyface.

Why is there the assumption on here that if someone hates Cena then they're automatically an idiot? This reaction to Cena isn't a new thing & given the amount of time he's been getting an 'anti-reaction' WWE are incredibly late to the party to try & capitalise on this. Maybe, just maybe the people who are booing Cena when WWE wants to you cheer him aren't trying to be 'cool', they just genuinely dislike him being forced down their throats?

That's one reason for sure. I don't think that is the only reason they dislike him. He was being given even more focus on TV this time (i.e. "forced down their throats") a year ago when he was feuding with Nexus and the reactions were largely pro-Cena. If anything he's been in the background a lot since Survivor Series.

I rarely watch WWE programming these days but I'd be lying if I said the relentless pushing of Cena wasn't a big turn-off for me. There's obviously an awful lot of people who are still fans of WWE but feel the same way, instead of just tuning out they're voicing their disapproval at live events.

I don't think he is though. No more so than any other top babyface.

A few years ago perhaps but in 2011, whilst he's still clearly McMahon's Ace I thinknk he's actually been pushed less than he was a few years ago when he was definitely being booked as the clear figurehead above everyone else on the roster in terms of importance.

I can't see Hogan having taken the backseat to other people's storylines (not saying he should have either) the way Cena has regardless of whether Hulk was champion or not. Same with Austin.

it's just fun, showing their feelings on the product just the same as people wearing a shirt of a wrestler they like.

That's pretty much my thoughts on it, it's just a bit of panto fun. Personally I think the shirts fuck ugly anyway but if folk want to buy them for a bit of a laugh and get in to the spirit of booing the good guy then fair enough. Anybody who seriously buys one because they think they're sticking it to the man can get in the queue for a verbal pasting from Air_Raid.

Come to think of it, seeing as they do shirts for wrestlers we like why haven't they caught on and made shirts for wrestlers you hate before now? I'm sure there'd be a huge market for a "Rey Mysterio is a crappy Mexican midget and I hate his smelly poo poo face" shirt. It definately would appeal to some of the CENA SUX!!1! lot, particularly the ones waering hats with propelors on the top with foreheads that keep the rain off their feet.

The first thing I thought when saw this this is why not make anti shirts for Heels that people are suppsoed to not like?

My understanding is most top wrestlers prefer to be faces beacuse they shift more merchandise therefore make more money. This would mean they coudl make a decent turnover whichever side of the fense they're on.

An "Alberto Del Rio Makes Me Sick" T-Shirt would appeal to people who dislike him because of his bad guy heat and if a smark fan buys it to prove that he really hates said wrestler's workrate/gimmick/whatever in a non kayfabe way good luck them it's all money in the company and superstars pocket in the end.

it's just fun, showing their feelings on the product just the same as people wearing a shirt of a wrestler they like.

That's pretty much my thoughts on it, it's just a bit of panto fun. Personally I think the shirts fuck ugly anyway but if folk want to buy them for a bit of a laugh and get in to the spirit of booing the good guy then fair enough. Anybody who seriously buys one because they think they're sticking it to the man can get in the queue for a verbal pasting from Air_Raid.

Come to think of it, seeing as they do shirts for wrestlers we like why haven't they caught on and made shirts for wrestlers you hate before now? I'm sure there'd be a huge market for a "Rey Mysterio is a crappy Mexican midget and I hate his smelly poo poo face" shirt. It definately would appeal to some of the CENA SUX!!1! lot, particularly the ones waering hats with propelors on the top with foreheads that keep the rain off their feet.

The first thing I thought when saw this this is why not make anti shirts for Heels that people are suppsoed to not like?

My understanding is most top wrestlers prefer to be faces beacuse they shift more merchandise therefore make more money. This would mean they coudl make a decent turnover whichever side of the fense they're on.

An "Alberto Del Rio Makes Me Sick" T-Shirt would appeal to people who dislike him because of his bad guy heat and if a smark fan buys it to prove that he really hates said wrestler's workrate/gimmick/whatever in a non kayfabe way good luck them it's all money in the company and superstars pocket in the end.

Exactly. That's why I'm surprised Cena turned the idea down in 2008 and even more surprised WWE or another promotion haven't caught on to the idea before. If people are happy to spend ages making signs and shirts to slag off the heels (or Cena) that they don't like, why shouldn't there be "anti-heel" merch?

• Paid Members
I may be wrong, but didn't Angle wear those shirts too? The message is the person reading it sucks, not Kurt Angle. It's the equivalent of the 'I'm with stupid ->' t-shirts you see. It's very different from the Cena one.

No, it was to push and encourage the 'You Suck' chants at Angle, especially during his entrance music, which drove Angle nuts. Angle had a shirt which listed his accomplishments or something, he had a big reveal segment for it only for Edge to have pulled a switcheroo and put the 'You Suck' shirt in its place, to mess with Kurt.

People may have bought it or worn it in the sense you described but, it certainly wasn't presented as a shirt Angle proudly wore himself but the complete opposite and to upset him. Which Angle played up to marvelously. So it's very similar to the Cena shirt in some ways.

Why is there the assumption on here that if someone hates Cena then they're automatically an idiot? This reaction to Cena isn't a new thing & given the amount of time he's been getting an 'anti-reaction' WWE are incredibly late to the party to try & capitalise on this. Maybe, just maybe the people who are booing Cena when WWE wants to you cheer him aren't trying to be 'cool', they just genuinely dislike him being forced down their throats?

I rarely watch WWE programming these days but I'd be lying if I said the relentless pushing of Cena wasn't a big turn-off for me. There's obviously an awful lot of people who are still fans of WWE but feel the same way, instead of just tuning out they're voicing their disapproval at live events.

Yeah it's become rather an annoying trend on here that if you state you don't like Cena (for pretty much any reason) you are some type of spastic mong roh-lover, but if you fully embrace how brilliant Cena is, you are a top bloke who "gets it".

I'm pretty sure there were plenty of fans who didn't care for Hogan's panto act back in the 80s. Did that make them all dribbling idiots, or were they just people who preferred Flair and the Horsemen to Hogan fighting monsters. And even then, it takes nothing away from Hogan's abilities at the time, it just says that his act wasn't for everyone, much like Cena now.

I don't think anyone has a problem with fans who hate Cena for being pushed too much, it's more the fans that act like Cena isn't a good wrestler because he doesn't have any 'moves' and other bollock complaints. Obviously wrestling's subjective, I never liked Edge as a headline act and thought he was as dull as pictionary but I wouldn't say he's a shit wrestler. Cena's tremendous at what he does and I don't believe that anyone can watch him and think 'well he's shit'.

I don't think anyone has a problem with fans who hate Cena for being pushed too much, it's more the fans that act like Cena isn't a good wrestler because he doesn't have any 'moves' and other bollock complaints. Obviously wrestling's subjective, I never liked Edge as a headline act and thought he was as dull as pictionary but I wouldn't say he's a shit wrestler. Cena's tremendous at what he does and I don't believe that anyone can watch him and think 'well he's shit'.

Don't get me wrong, there are clearly some morons who will go down the "he can't wrestle" route, and they fully deserve to be mocked, but those types are pretty rare on here.

It has almost become a stock answer that if you don't like Cena's act you are some type of dribbling simpleton, despite the fact that thousands of fans at live events every week show their contempt for his character. It's pretty funny that an adult fan wearing a Cena Sucks t-shirt will get called a smelly, virgin, neckbearded retard by a lot of people on here, but a grown man dressed head to toe in Cena merch is "just a passionate fan" who's enjoying himself.

The Cena thing fascinates me because when he first came in he was brilliant. Like JBL, a breath of fresh air. Wrestling was OK, promos were 5 star and there was always something to look forward to.

Cena is now lazy in that he's done his time and wants to tell everyone about how he earned it etc etc. Surely somone MUST have a word in his ear and say 'Big man, practice a new move' or 'Right Chief, new breeks.' He's like Matt Hardy now. Zero effort goes into his matches, appearance or promos.

Surely when you wrestle you want to improve and try and be the best? He just...doesn't.

• Paid Members
The Cena thing fascinates me because when he first came in he was brilliant. Like JBL, a breath of fresh air. Wrestling was OK, promos were 5 star and there was always something to look forward to.

Cena is now lazy in that he's done his time and wants to tell everyone about how he earned it etc etc. Surely somone MUST have a word in his ear and say 'Big man, practice a new move' or 'Right Chief, new breeks.' He's like Matt Hardy now. Zero effort goes into his matches, appearance or promos.

Surely when you wrestle you want to improve and try and be the best? He just...doesn't.

Eh? You must have missed those classic matches with Punk. Also which major headliner has ever majorly changed up look in the time Cena has been on top? Hogan wore red and yellow for ages until his heel turn, Austin was always in the black trunks, The Rock still wears the same shit, as does Orton. Anyway, Cena does mix it up with a new colour scheme every now and then.

It has almost become a stock answer that if you don't like Cena's act you are some type of dribbling simpleton, despite the fact that thousands of fans at live events every week show their contempt for his character. It's pretty funny that an adult fan wearing a Cena Sucks t-shirt will get called a smelly, virgin, neckbearded retard by a lot of people on here, but a grown man dressed head to toe in Cena merch is "just a passionate fan" who's enjoying himself.

That's only because we saw the trouble Ricky Gervais got into last time he used the correct term for them.

Archived