Major WWE Star Injured *spoilers*

Daaaaaad!

Awful news as Orton has been brilliant this year. It took him a while to recover from that awful feud with Triple H, then Cena and then Legacy but he finally did it in the beginning of 2011. He's had some great matches and just seem's natural in the ring. I've enjoyed his feud with Barrett but was abit disapointed with they're tables match at TLC. Other than that it's been a decent feud. Orton has made many people especially mid carders look the bollocks and has put a fair few people over. I thought he was dull as fuck in 2010 especially after his pointless title win at NOC '10 but I was slowly turned.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Saw a bit of one of Sky's specials earlier. Was a review of Orton's career so far. Hits home how massive he was at one point. He looks much better now. the tattoos he has now are ace, back then he was a chubby kid with one band around his arm.

Great edit job to show his 2004 title win without Benoit appearing. He beat the Undertaker apparently.

Has Orton had the DVD treatment yet? If not, he has the body of work now so he should.

Wonder if they could do something along the lines of Evolution these days to elevate a couple of up and comers. Can't imagine they'd get behind in the same way.

• Paid Members
Heel 2005 Christian was the best he's ever been. When he came back from TNA he was too old, too bald and a slightly yellow colour.

Yeah, what's that all about? I always thought that. Must've been on the ol' Sunny D too much.

Hope they do something with Drew Mac, he's gone from chosen one to chump.

He has the look, but can't get over for love nor money.

Probably because he's as dull as dishwater. Whether that's his fault, or the creative team, I've not been impressed with him at all since he debuted and can't see anything in him in the future. Sheamus, however, looks set to be a major player.

For years now WWE have been losing top-level guys quicker than they have been able to make them. As well as looking at making top names, they need to do whatever the fuck they can to keep whatever ones they have left. Just look at the names that have gone in recent years:

Ric Flair

Chris Benoit

Eddie Guerrero

JBL

Umaga

Batista

Chris Jericho (though could well return soon)

Edge

Shawn Michaels

Jeff Hardy

Kurt Angle

Plus Undertaker has wrestled one match this year, Triple H only a handful and Rey Mysterio is often injured and might not have much left in him in future.

And before these lot left Austin & Rock hung up their boots, Brock came & went and Hogan stopped making appearances. Plus throw into the fact that Vince no longer appears on TV, that's another huge character gone.

WWE need to do two things in my opinion- bring back a couple of big names as a quick fix and also settle on a handful of guys and push them to the moon- like they did with Orton, Cena and Big Dave back in 2004. Not everybody took to these three at first (myself included), but WWE kept pushing and pushing and look at how these three are perceived today. Of course they can't do it with anybody, but I think they have to take the plunge here and go in deep rather than testing the waters. They don't have the time to test waters, they need to do something.

Do whatever they can to bring in Big Dave. See if Jeff Hardy or Kurt Angle fancy another run in the E. Of course, all three of these guys will want a light schedule, but so what. The problem seems to be with getting people to tune into the TV shows and buy the PPVs, rather than attending the house shows, so a light schedule should be do-able. Of course my dream would be to see Brock brought in, I think he could do some business, but I don't know if that will happen. It certainly seems more likely than it ever did, but who knows. I don't think Jericho's return is going to make much of a difference though. He's never been one to make a positive impact on ratings and buyrates, has he?

• Paid Members
Has Orton had the DVD treatment yet?

Yes. That's what you were watching! Well, an edited version anyway. Evolution Of A Predator.

I must've missed that one. This was a load of short profiles. Might check out the Orton disc so cheers for that!

• Paid Members
Has Orton had the DVD treatment yet?

Yes. That's what you were watching! Well, an edited version anyway. Evolution Of A Predator.

I must've missed that one. This was a load of short profiles. Might check out the Orton disc so cheers for that!

Was you watching 'The Greatest Superstars of the 21st Century'? I just finished watching that. That show was 90 years premature, you could say. But it again only highlighted the amount of top-level guys the WWE had at their disposal only a few years ago that they no longer have.

• Paid Members
Christian's always had a decidedly midcard stink to me. I've never been able to see him as a star of any note.

This is the case for me, I want to care I just don't. There's something about him which doesn't do it as a top line name. A little lower down and used in the odd bit here and there I can get invested in him but as a top flight name it just doesn't feel right some how. His series with Orton really highlighted how he doesn't have *it* for me, the matches were good, Christian was good but it just wasn't right some how.

• Paid Members
Hope they do something with Drew Mac, he's gone from chosen one to chump.

He has the look, but can't get over for love nor money.

Probably because he's as dull as dishwater. Whether that's his fault, or the creative team, I've not been impressed with him at all since he debuted and can't see anything in him in the future. Sheamus, however, looks set to be a major player.

For years now WWE have been losing top-level guys quicker than they have been able to make them. As well as looking at making top names, they need to do whatever the fuck they can to keep whatever ones they have left. Just look at the names that have gone in recent years:

Ric Flair

Chris Benoit

Eddie Guerrero

JBL

Umaga

Batista

Chris Jericho (though could well return soon)

Edge

Shawn Michaels

Jeff Hardy

Kurt Angle

Plus Undertaker has wrestled one match this year, Triple H only a handful and Rey Mysterio is often injured and might not have much left in him in future.

And before these lot left Austin & Rock hung up their boots, Brock came & went and Hogan stopped making appearances. Plus throw into the fact that Vince no longer appears on TV, that's another huge character gone.

WWE need to do two things in my opinion- bring back a couple of big names as a quick fix and also settle on a handful of guys and push them to the moon- like they did with Orton, Cena and Big Dave back in 2004. Not everybody took to these three at first (myself included), but WWE kept pushing and pushing and look at how these three are perceived today. Of course they can't do it with anybody, but I think they have to take the plunge here and go in deep rather than testing the waters. They don't have the time to test waters, they need to do something.

Do whatever they can to bring in Big Dave. See if Jeff Hardy or Kurt Angle fancy another run in the E. Of course, all three of these guys will want a light schedule, but so what. The problem seems to be with getting people to tune into the TV shows and buy the PPVs, rather than attending the house shows, so a light schedule should be do-able. Of course my dream would be to see Brock brought in, I think he could do some business, but I don't know if that will happen. It certainly seems more likely than it ever did, but who knows. I don't think Jericho's return is going to make much of a difference though. He's never been one to make a positive impact on ratings and buyrates, has he?

I think this year is a year more than most that they have actually been looking to do just that fruity. Cena, Orton and Batista were indeed pushed hard and persistently well before they were that good. They did all evolve into tremendous acts eventually.

This year, they have pushed a whole bunch of new acts and maybe they intend on pushing a lot of these acts hoping that they too catch on and become accepted. But most of these are already extremely polished performers, CM Punk, Alberto Del Rio, Mark Henry, Daniel Bryan, R-Truth, Christian being a few of the guys who have received big pushes this year and have a wealth of experience behind them and many, most probably at their peaks,some past them and maybe one or two on the cusp of.

I think WWE are making a lot of right moves, they are clearly from how things have played out this year and very recently looking to make a whole host of new stars. Some of the problems may be with a lack of patience with certain performers and not giving them the time to be cemented in the top tier or it could be that they are actually trying to make too many guys at once with the way they've hot potatoed the big belts this year.

They've also, most certainly brought in the biggest possible star from the past they could in The Rock. And they are certainly looking to other areas for established talent that could attract certain groups of fans in the hiring and pushing of Sin Cara and Kharma.

They do regularly lose really good guys though, you are right. A lot beyond their control but there's a lot that they happily let leave and it's a shame it seems all too often to be due to a lack of creativity and maybe a stubborn 'nobody's bigger than WWE' mentality from the company itself. But it could also be from the talent not striving or pushing themselves or making their own opportunities as best they can if Zack Ryder and maybe CM Punk this year are anything to go by. Which only goes to make me think again that there was loads of possibilities with CM Punks angle of the summer with guys feeling under-appreciated and happy to walk out of the company.

They've certainly lost a lot of guys i really enjoy over the last few years who i wouldn't mind seeing back.

• Paid Members

You're right, bringing in The Rock was a superb stroke- like you say he was the biggest star they could've bought in. But I still think they need someone a bit more regular, Rocky showing up on a few Raws, Wrestlemania and Survivor Series isn't quite enough.

You're also spot on with the amount of talent they've been pushing in 2011- and that's what I've enjoyed so much. Seeing the likes of Miz, Punk, Dolph, Cody, Sheamus, Ryder, even ADR and a bunch of others receive decent pushes has been refreshing. They were testing the waters with so many guys, and 2012 is the year where they should decide which select few guys they are going to push like crazy like they did with Cena/Orton/Batista and persevere with them. The question is, who should they go for? Sheamus has to be a strong candidate, surely? Also I know a lot of people dislike him on here, but I do think ADR has the tools to become a major player.

2010=oh shit, we've lost a load of big names and more will follow

2011=let's start pushing loads of guys and see how they get on

2012= right, now let's tun a few of these into stars for this company to be built around over the next several years

A good way to compare WWE at the moment and throughout 2011 is a transitional period similar to that of Premier League teams. They are in danger of being a post-invincible Arsenal, losing so many key players in quick succession without successfully replacing them. They need to follow the Man United mould, almost seamless transitions.

• Paid Members

I don't think that really matters anymore, to be honest. Every Raw is a 'supershow' anyway and they can throw their biggest talent onto Smackdown whenever they want to. I think they will always need to have a roster the size they have if they are running two major TV shows so I guess it makes sense to split them by respective show. Gives more of an opportunity to push people and develop new stars if you have two brands.

I'd like to see them go after Lesnar or Batista and put a truck load of cash next to them and put them into a long term TV feud with a heel Cena. Have Cena cheat to beat Rocky at WM beat down Rocky only for Lesnar to make the Save and F5 Cena. then have Lesnar chase Cena who hides behind Laurinitus until Summerslam and have Lesnar pick the title up.

Oh and Sheamus needs a long title run on Smackdown too.

Is it a lower back problem?

I ask because when he did that RKO on Barrett last week on the roof of a car, Barrett took a nice easy face-first bump, where as Orton seemed to take the full weight of the landing on his lower back across the edge of the car's roof. It looked a ready awkward landing.

If they knew he had a dodgy back, why the hell would anyone script that spot?

I noticed the dodgy landing as well, but I thought it was stupid anyway, even without the injury aspect. The point of that brawl seemed to be to show Barrett as completely inferior to Orton, which is all well and good if that's the end of it but Orton clearly dominating Wadey in a lengthy brawl makes the falls count anywhere match pointless, for me.

Regardless, bad news for Orton but I'm in the camp that finds him pretty boring and is more intrigued by the gap it leaves than anything. I appreciate hia work and have really enjoyed plenty of his matches this year, but his character does little for me. He's not the best talker, and generally isn't a character I find entertaining (aside from that one SmackDown where he was fucking about running on the spot and doing jumping toe-touches). I'd love to see Sheamus step up now, although I think he's lost a lot of steam doing nothing since Christian's injury. I'm not sold on Sheamus' "this reminds me of me uncle Sean in Tubberquack" material, but I find the big ginge very entertaining on the whole.

And I'd definitely say SmackDown needs a big superstar name at the same time as establishing Sheamus at that level. If Undertaker can come back, even if it's to do next to nothing, then bring him back.

Archived