Major WWE Star Injured *spoilers*

Daaaaaad!

It was announced at tonight's Smackdown house show in Detroit that Randy Orton will be out for six months. Refunds were offered to anyone who wanted to get them at the show.

Credit: Wrestling Observer

According to The Wrestling Observer, the Randy Orton injury was a pre-existing injury. Orton has been protected in recent outings, since about December 19th, so that he would not have to do too much physically on TV. At this point, the plan looks to be to move one of the Raw matches to the Smackdown tour to help fortify the lineups starting tonight.

I know this is being discussed in another thread, but that thread should really be for SmackDown spoilers. My question to you is this - Randy Orton is clearly the biggest star on SmackDown and has been keeping its midcard alive for months, plus he's been in the opening match of Raw several times since the SuperShow started. With him out of the picture, what should WWE do?

Are Sheamus, Daniel Bryan and Big Show enough to keep the face side up on SmackDown, especially with one of the latter two rumoured for a turn very soon? Or should someone move from Raw? Yes, Drew Macintyre was moved this week, but will he be enough to fill the gap considering they proceeded to squash him?

Go nuts, kids.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I'd strap a rocket on Sheamus' back if I were in charge. If Mark Henry will be fit by the Rumble or the chamber have him beat D-Bry, and then have Sheamus beat Menry at Mania. Out of the people on the Smackdown's face side, Sheamus easily has the most upside for me.

Is it a lower back problem?

I ask because when he did that RKO on Barrett last week on the roof of a car, Barrett took a nice easy face-first bump, where as Orton seemed to take the full weight of the landing on his lower back across the edge of the car's roof. It looked a ready awkward landing.

If they knew he had a dodgy back, why the hell would anyone script that spot?

While it's an awful blow, and I never want to see people getting injured, this is the kick in the arse WWE needs to make a new permanent main eventer face out of Sheamus or even Daniel Bryan. We've got Sheamus, Bryan, Henry and Big Show occupying the top spots, with Christian still in a position of overness. Also, Wade Barrett and Cody Rhodes are right behind them, ready to be boosted up into the title picture. McIntyre moving over from Raw is an added bonus too. Right there, they've got 8 people who can gun for the title with a month or two of build-up.

Hope Orton recovers soon, but damn it, if there's ever a time to push Sheamus to the moon, it's now. Make him the Punk to Orton's Cena. It's a shame that it needs something as horrible as a 6-month injury for them to wake up, but that's the way things are.

Properly gutted for Randy Orton, 2011 was the best year of his career from an in ring standpoint no doubt. Its such a shame he won't be on this years Wrestlemania.

Well hopefully Smackdown gets The Undertaker and Christian back soon (any word on how long Christian is out for?) If Christian returns soon I reckon he could return as a face and get a huge pop. Sin Cara is also out for ages too, but I guess nobody cares about him. SD has been having some bad luck with injuries recently.

I reckon a reshuffle is in order, move the Miz over from Raw as the major heel and have him feud with Sheamus as the top face.

• Paid Members
Is John Cena the last full time legitimate headliner left at the moment now or am I missing somebody obvious?

Depends how you define 'legitimate headliner'. If headlining several ppvs and being world champion counts then Punk is still about. If you mean headlined a mania and has been around at that level for a long time then not so much. totally depends on how you quantify that.

• Paid Members
I'd strap a rocket on Sheamus' back if I were in charge. If Mark Henry will be fit by the Rumble or the chamber have him beat D-Bry, and then have Sheamus beat Menry at Mania. Out of the people on the Smackdown's face side, Sheamus easily has the most upside for me.

This is the only way to go. Drop a little bit of the smiley-smiley and let Shaemus beat the shit out of some scumbag heels.

Is John Cena the last full time legitimate headliner left at the moment now or am I missing somebody obvious?

No, that's about the size of it.

• Paid Members

This is the only way to go. Drop a little bit of the smiley-smiley and let Shaemus beat the shit out of some scumbag heels.

Yeah, this.

I like a big name getting crocked. Always shakes things up a bit. Makes for a potentially great comeback when they've recovered too.

I was cooling on Orton as well, this will do just fine for me. I'll be glad to see him back when he does return.

And a bit of this.

I like Sheamus. But i do think he's being pushed too much as smiley smiley, although i think he's coping well with being pushed that way and having the slight comedic side. But i want to see Sheamus as a proper fucking Babarian. Grow his beard out so it's not so neat and fucking tidy and just run roughshod through guys on the lead up to 'Mania. Had Menry have kept hold of the gold until the GranDaddy too it could have been a magic WrestleMania collision and true arrival of Sheamus into the upper echelon.

On NEWMs post, i'm much the same but it is a great shame too as Orton has had a tremendous year, with his in-ring work and in finding himself as a babyface. He's been tremendous this year, probably wrestler of the year for me. He'd also done well in stepping away from the World title picture and boosting the mid-card as others have mentioned. That could damage a lot of other guys status but he's managed to enhance those of the guys he's worked with, without losing any of his in the process.

• Paid Members
On NEWMs post, i'm much the same but it is a great shame too as Orton has had a tremendous year, with his in-ring work and in finding himself as a babyface. He's been tremendous this year, probably wrestler of the year for me. He'd also done well in stepping away from the World title picture and boosting the mid-card as others have mentioned. That could damage a lot of other guys status but he's managed to enhance those of the guys he's worked with, without losing any of his in the process.

This year Orton has done a great job of winning but also elevating his opponents at the same time. His feud with Punk enhanced Punk, ditto with Christian and Barrett. Orton even jobbed clean twice for Mark Henry and made Henry look like a monster in all their matches. Since his move to Smackdown he has worked as hard as he ever has in the ring.

I'd love if Orton took the time off to polish up his promo skills, it's the only thing he lacks. Orton would be phenomenal if he could get to the level of a Cena/Punk.

Archived