Austin & The Rock

Jetta's G-string

Me and a pal have been watching wrestling for years and in the attitude era i was a massive Austin fan and he was a massive Rock fan. We often argue about who was the most over when they were both there together. Am i just being biased by saying that while they were both in the WWE, Austin was always more over than The Rock?

• Paid Members
Austin was always more over than The Rock?

Not always. While Rock was the top guy in 2002 (and would have been for a lot longer, had he stuck around) Austin was stale as fuck, completely finished, working shit matches in the undercard. He'd still come out to decent reactions, but he was nowhere near Rock's level of popularity at that time.

Any time before that though, yeah, Austin wins.

• Paid Members

Just to elaborate a shade, there were plenty of chances to compare pops that the two got during the peak of the Attitude era - between spring and autumn '99 with the two on various tag matches on TV against the Corporate Ministry and latterly DX, then again after Austin's comeback from injury in late 2000, again in various multiman matches, and in general Austin usually out-popped Rocky.

I will probably go back and watch the 6-way Cell match from Armageddon 2000 now, just to make sure.

Archived