Bloodiest classics of all time!

britishwrestlinglegends

Well if you enjoy a promoter taking on a wrestler, way passed his prime using smoke & mirrors to make a passable match & muppets on a wrestling show for that matter? I would accept you enjoyed it, with no evidence to suggest you are an "Idiot"?

Jeesh, tetchy much? The idiot bit was a joke, based on the fact that the Muppets were just good fun. But you still haven't explained why a match cant' be good because it just has a promoter taking on a wrestler past his prime? That's if we ignore the fact that Vince has had a couple of handful of matches, most of which have been decent brawls, that Hogan relies on timing to make his matches more than athleticism and that the smoke and mirrors you mention made sense. They couldn't exactly have a match without weapons and blood. And you even admit here that sometimes blood helps to make a great match. I get the arguments that Vince was booked to look too strong over Hogan, although subsequent matches where Vince just has the shit beat out of him haven't been anywhere near as fun, but yours is just odd. I mean I'd show that match to a trainee over pretty much any RoH or puro match (unless of course it was a puro trainee, that'd be stupid) to show them how to construct a dramatic and entertaining match out of very little.

You are right in what you say. They squeezed everything they could out of that match to make it as entertaining, as it could possibly be. So it is very useful to show trainees, But i am not a trainee & at Wrestlemania i want to see the best wrestlers & the best wrestling. With the best will in the world, They did not deliver that, Admittidly they tried. I also hate the way Hogan always does the same spots & expects people to buy into it. "Hulking Up" then "Pointing", always makes me cringe. I know all wrestlers have signature moves, But he has become some sort of retro, Tribute act to when he still cut it (In a limited Hogan kind of way?)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Can't post links at the moment sorry but I'd recommend giving the Doom vs Barry Windham/Arn Anderson street fight from Starrcade 90 a look. I think all 4 of them bleed and it's a fun little brawl.

There's that Vader vs Stan Hansen match from NJPW in the early 90s where Vader's eyeball is hanging out aswell but dunno if that one counts in this thread seeing as its not blood and wasn't supposed to happen.

El Hijo Del Santo vs La Parka from Monterrey back in 2001. This is fabulous. Part 2 here.

Some other faves include;

Midnight Rockers v Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers, (AWA, 1986). Part 2, Part 3.

Kerry Von Erich vs Jerry Lawler, (AWA 1988) - finish aside, at least. Part 2.

Billy Boy v Gran Apache (2006)

Great Muta v Hakushi (1996)

As well as a load of the famous ones that no doubt everyone loves - Bret/Austin (WM13), Cactus/HHH (2000 Rumble), HBK/Taker (first HIAC), HBK/Jericho (GAB) etc....

And last but not least, it would be remiss of me not to mention this classic from IWRG last year between El Pollo and Comando Negro. As far as bloodbaths involving giant chickens go, this has to be up there with the best of them. Enjoy. Parts 2 and 3 here and here.

Can't post links at the moment sorry but I'd recommend giving the Doom vs Barry Windham/Arn Anderson street fight from Starrcade 90 a look. I think all 4 of them bleed and it's a fun little brawl.

Can't remember whether it was particularly bloody, but great shout anyway. That was great stuff, the best thing on that show.

That was pretty intense! Cheers :thumbsup: Wonder if it was supposed to end on blood loss or they just had to get Jericho out of there? I mean, if it was planned,a promotion like SMW that was no stranger to bloodbaths must have told him to cut his brains out!

El Hijo Del Santo vs La Parka from Monterrey back in 2001. This is fabulous. Part 2 here.

Some other faves include;

Midnight Rockers v Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers, (AWA, 1986). Part 2, Part 3.

Kerry Von Erich vs Jerry Lawler, (AWA 1988) - finish aside, at least. Part 2.

Billy Boy v Gran Apache (2006)

Great Muta v Hakushi (1996)

As well as a load of the famous ones that no doubt everyone loves - Bret/Austin (WM13), Cactus/HHH (2000 Rumble), HBK/Taker (first HIAC), HBK/Jericho (GAB) etc....

And last but not least, it would be remiss of me not to mention this classic from IWRG last year between El Pollo and Comando Negro. As far as bloodbaths involving giant chickens go, this has to be up there with the best of them. Enjoy. Parts 2 and 3 here and here.

Its gonna take me a while to get through these, But thanks. This is the stuff i am after :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
I really don't think it gets much better than the Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard I Quit Cage Match (deep breath) from Starrcade '85 for the US Title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfIWFLlzDJk

Doesn't get much better than this. Super bout.

If any one hasn't seen this they should, it is amazing.

IMO the Cactus Vs. Triple H match is tainted by the obviously fake barbed wire board that Cactus hits Hunter with, I can't remember the exact point in time since it has been years since I watched the match but they obviously swap boards at some point.

It killed the drama every time for me.

The board gets taken out of the ring by the ref and hidden under the Spanish announce table after HHH uses it on Cactus. When he goes out to get it, he's given an untainted one, probably with the tips cut so it causes less damage.

I believe Foley said somewhere, possible in his 2nd book, when he's hitting HHH its set up to keep him safe and it gets swapped for something a bit more risky for Foley to take a whacking. I may have remembered this wrong as it has been a few years.

I really don't think it gets much better than the Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard I Quit Cage Match (deep breath) from Starrcade '85 for the US Title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfIWFLlzDJk

Doesn't get much better than this. Super bout.

If any one hasn't seen this they should, it is amazing.

IMO the Cactus Vs. Triple H match is tainted by the obviously fake barbed wire board that Cactus hits Hunter with, I can't remember the exact point in time since it has been years since I watched the match but they obviously swap boards at some point.

It killed the drama every time for me.

The board gets taken out of the ring by the ref and hidden under the Spanish announce table after HHH uses it on Cactus. When he goes out to get it, he's given an untainted one, probably with the tips cut so it causes less damage.

I believe Foley said somewhere, possible in his 2nd book, when he's hitting HHH its set up to keep him safe and it gets swapped for something a bit more risky for Foley to take a whacking. I may have remembered this wrong as it has been a few years.

You're pretty much spot on. From what I remember reading the bat used to hit Foley with was real deal barbed wire, the one he used on HHH was wire with bits of soldering wire for barbs which, according to Trips, still hurt like a motherfucker when he got hit with it and he wished he's just gone for the proper barbed wire from the start. It did piss me off watching it the first time round when the first haggered up bat gets swapped for a shiny new one, it suspended the disbelief for a few seconds as it seemed so intense up to that point. And then he drilled him in to the thumbtacks and normality was resumed.

• Paid Members

Can't remember whether it was particularly bloody, but great shout anyway. That was great stuff, the best thing on that show.

Yeah I don't think there's any real bad gushers but I'm sure everyone bleeds. I remember I got the Starrcade 90 video off someone for Christmas when I was about 7. The blood shocked me at the time because I was used to early 90s WWF and WCW on ITV.

Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP4Tq2upFLA

Yeah I don't think there's any real bad gushers but I'm sure everyone bleeds. I remember I got the Starrcade 90 video off someone for Christmas when I was about 7. The blood shocked me at the time because I was used to early 90s WWF and WCW on ITV.

Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP4Tq2upFLA

Nice Brawl! It was a bit short & not keen on the screwy finish were the ref had to wait for everyone to catch up :rolleyes: . Thought Windham looked cool as F*ck with his street fight gear on? Am i the only one to notice that in this match & The Magnum/Tully I quit amongst others of that era, That the punches looked so much more legit than a lot of the lame arsed stuff we have to suffer today?

Archived