UFC 142: Aldo vs Mendes Discussion Thread

David

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

His excuse has already been covered, Johnson got to 186 on weighin day and then the doctors advised him not to cut anymore weight and to get on an IV because he was in a bad way. According to sources he weighed 215 a week ago so it's clear he has no one to blame but himself.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I've been following the Mark Hardy/Rumble beef this week and unsurprisingly Hardy has had plenty more to say since this news of Rumble came out.

He should shut up now. He's trying to make a name off fighters' mistakes when his own son is extremely lucky not to have received his walking papers.

Yeah he's saying it's nothing to do with Rumble's fighting and it's that he doesn't like him personally but to me it comes off that he's bitter Johnson beat his son and didn't just 'stand and bang' with him.

Glad the fight's still on. I'd have had no problem with them cancelling it but I'm glad we still get to see it. Would have been a hit to the card if it was pulled.

If Rumble wins it shouldn't set Vitor back because he's effectively fighting what will be a heavyweight come fight time. This shouldn't be held against him if he loses imo. I'm hoping Vitor wins this though. And I think he can. He's got the better hands I think and his defensive wrestling is a bit underrated.

Great PPV watched all the way up to the co-main event then dropped off but it seems Jose Aldo finally had a good cut hes seemed to struggle with the last two weight cuts and rumours had him thinking of bumping up to lightweight soon but the quick victory proves he can have a good cut at 145lb and kick ass and kick ass well.

Great win for Gonzaga big fan of his the cro cop KO

Also no new start to the UFC PPV. Wouldnt mind a new intro but love "face the pain" by Stemm

Bring on the next three weeks of UFC on Fx 1 then UFC on Fox 2 then UFC 143. The UFC surely know how to spoil us fight fans

Cracking show, especially the main card - all finishes!

What wasn't there to love about that show! I'd be shocked if theres a better KO this year than Barboza's spinning back kick, Erik Silva looked good despite the decision, Palhares continues to rip limbs apart, Belfort did everyone a favour by getting rid of Johnson (though the stand-ups were dodgy) and the return of the Jose Aldo of the WEC.

Not to mention, the post-fight Aldo antics were insane. Thats made its way onto the list of iconic UFC post-fight things, along with: GSP "I'm not impressed with your performance", KenFlo "I finish fights", BJ running out the cage, Lesnar headbutting the cage ect.

• Paid Members

Loved that show. Fantastic start to 2012.

Really pleased Aldo got the big finish. He looked excellent throughout the 5 minutes it lasted. His takedown defence was top notch and his striking was as good as ever. That last knee was nasty. I loved the post fight celebration in the crowd too, made it feel like more special. I think people were a tad harsh on Aldo for not finishing his last 2 fights to be honest. It wasn't for lack of trying and he still won pretty dominant decisions.

Happy to see Belfort get the win too. Rumble looked like a heavyweight in there, he looked easily 2 weight divisions above Vitor. Makes Vitor's win all the more impressive though. And he came through some tough spots and the fucked up eye. A few years back that would probably have been enough to mess him up mentally but he seems a much more focused and stronger fighter now imo. I'm looking forward to Team Belfort vs Team Wanderlei on TUF Brazil.

Palhares nearly ripping Massenzio's leg off was no real surprise. Seems like if you fall to the ground with Paul Harris you'll land in a heel hook or leg lock of some sort no matter what position you're in. Palhares seems to be able to slap them on from any direction in the blink of an eye.

The Erick Silva DQ was a shitty decision and a rare screw up from Yamasaki who I think is generally a good ref. I deffo saw one punch land to the back of the head but it's a bit harsh to DQ him I reckon. Most of the shots were legal and it's clear he was trying to land clean shots to the side and one (2 at most maybe) strayed. Silva looks good though, this shouldn't slow his momentum.

Barboza's KO was absolutely brilliant. And I'm a big Etim fan and was rooting for him. That was picture perfect though. Barboza was winning the rounds but each round was fairly competitive, I didn't think it was as dominating as the commentary suggested. But fuck, that kick was like something off Tekken or a Bruce Lee movie or something. The kind of kick you wouldn't think was possible in real life.

I wanna see Barboza vs Nate Diaz now. And Etim vs Cerrone :thumbsup:

I was pleasantly surprised by Gonzaga. He looked better than he has in a while, physically and performance wise. It's nice to see him going back to his BJJ. Stout vs Tavares was a good little fight too.

Tremendous show top to bottom.

EDIT - Bonuses were

Fight Of The Night - Barboza vs Etim

Knockout Of The Night - Edson Barboza

Sub Of The Night - Rousimar Palhares

All got $65K. Barboza's having a happy new year. I bet Vitor will be getting a bonus of some sort too. Not just for the Rumble weight thing but he had a real good showing and he could have easily not taken that fight which would have hurt the card.

Great show. The Barboza/Etim opener produced one of the most spectacular KO's in MMA history, going to take something special to stop Barboza's spinning wheel kick winning Knockout of the Year.

496250330.gif

Shame Prater/Silva ended like it did. Nice submission win by Palhares on Massenzio pulling guard to lock in the fight ending heel hook. Hoped Belfort would KTFO Johnson but choking him out was fun to watch, still think he'll get cut by the UFC. The Aldo/Mendes main event had a fine finish. Mendes was kneeing Aldo from behind in the thigh and as Aldo spun out to escape, Mendes dropped down for the takedown but was hit by a vicous knee from Aldo followed by two punches on the ground stopping the fight with one second to go in the first round. Jose Aldo's post fight celebration in the crowd made for a great visual.

EDIT:

White said that they would probably cut Anthony Johnson after his not making weight for tonight's show. He said it was three strikes that your out, since this was the third time Johnson had failed to make weight in UFC.

Credit: f4wonline.com

• Paid Members

I knew a gif of that kick would be coming shortly. 2 fucking weeks into the year and I really think Barboza's already got Knockout of 2012 all sewn up. Seriously how can that be topped? It was perfect. Shame it had to happen to Terry Etim who seems like a genuinely nice guy. It's MMA though what can you do?

That kick will be on every highlight reel and in the Baba O'Reilly video from here on in.

• Paid Members

They've said they'll back Silva in the appeal and quite rightly. You can see he's not aiming for the back of the head, Prater was turning and 1 or 2 landed there unintentionally. Dan Miragliotta was having a laugh with those standups in the Rumble fight too.

Explosive main show from the start, and again the crowd was rowdy as expected. The Aldo scenes at the end were crazy, I was waiting for a stampede.

Dan Miragliotta was having a laugh with those standups in the Rumble fight too.

Am I right in thinking Brazil doesn't have any sort of Commission oversight? That was as close to K-1/Dream/Pride ref behaviour as I've seen in the UFC but I was so fucking happy when Belfort tapped him with one eye shut.

So most likely he'll jump to strikeforce. They seriously need star power

Nah I think you're looking at being dropped by Zuffa there. Same reason you won't be seeing Daley in Strikeforce until Dana forgives him.

Dan Miragliotta was having a laugh with those standups in the Rumble fight too.

Am I right in thinking Brazil doesn't have any sort of Commission oversight? That was as close to K-1/Dream/Pride ref behaviour as I've seen in the UFC but I was so fucking happy when Belfort tapped him with one eye shut.

So most likely he'll jump to strikeforce. They seriously need star power

Nah I think you're looking at being dropped by Zuffa there. Same reason you won't be seeing Daley in Strikeforce until Dana forgives him.

Daley is fighting on the next Strikeforce card....

I agree about Johnson though, I highly doubt that he will fight for Strikeforce.

Archived