UFC 142: Aldo vs Mendes Discussion Thread

David

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm hoping Aldo is fired up to fight in Brazil, I haven't been overly impressed by him so far, considering he was touted as one of the P4P best.

I still think Aldo's one of the top 4 or 5 pound for pound. He went the distance in his last 2 fights but he still won convincingly and really hasn't been troubled yet in any of his WEC or UFC fights. And he's pretty close to having cleaned out the 145 division. He's kinda been the forgotten champion with all the excitement over Jon Jones this last year but I can't see how dominating wins over Hominick (which was a great fight btw) and Florian are not impressive.My current top 5 pound for pound would look something like1 - Anderson Silva2 - Jon Jones3 - Georges St Pierre4 - Jose Aldo5 - Dan HendersonThe 5th spot was a tough choice between Hendo and Frankie Edgar but Hendo edges it for me. It's nitpicking but Edgar had a draw before his last win whereas Hendo's coming off a 4 fight winning streak that includes a title win, 2 first round KO's and wins over Fedor (at a higher weight) and Shogun in the FOTY.
Here's mine:1. Anderson Silva2. Jon Jones3. Georges St. Pierre4. Frankie Edgar5. Jose AldoI picked Frankie Edgar because he's top of the toughest weight class in MMA, he came back to draw against Gray Maynard at UFC 125 (I thought he won it), beat him in their third fight and is tied with BJ Penn for most UFC Lightweight Championship defenses. I put Frankie Edgar over Jose Aldo because Edgar's in the tougher weight class and Aldo's two UFC performances aren't what they were in the WEC.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No arguments from me there. Pound for pound is all subjective but there's no-one in your top 5 who shouldn't be there. Good points on Edgar too. He does deserve a top 5 spot, especially when you think he's a natural 145er going up in weight and sitting on top of such a deep division. He's the type of fighter pound for pound talk was invented for.Thinking about it, I'll ammend my top 5 and have Edgar/Hendo as joint 5th. I have Aldo one above just because he's had a longer title reign, beaten guys of different styles and has beat pretty much everyone at 145.

I'm looking forward to this more the closer it gets.

Same here. It doesn't seem to have built up as much excitement as previous cards though, that's for sure. Is this a PPV over in the US? If it is, it'll surely be interesting to see the numbers it pulls.

• Paid Members

Fuckin hell. I thought with the move up to 185 that his missing weight days were over. 12lbs over is ridiculous. Especially with his track record, you'd think he'd be determined to make it.

I hope the fight still does go ahead. Surely he won't go over 205 now. I wouldn't blame them if they sacked him on the scales to be honest. How many times is this now?

Fuckin hell. I thought with the move up to 185 that his missing weight days were over. 12lbs over is ridiculous. Especially with his track record, you'd think he'd be determined to make it.

I hope the fight still does go ahead. Surely he won't go over 205 now. I wouldn't blame them if they sacked him on the scales to be honest. How many times is this now?

Third time now. It's actually worse than I first thought as I knew there was the Yoshida fight, but Junkie reported that it happened with the Clementi fight also.

• Paid Members

Dan Hardy's dad sent this to Anthony Johnson on Twitter the other day

WblNg.jpg

That was before the weigh in aswell.

Looking at some of Mark Hardy's tweets, he really doesn't like Rumble. Not sure if it's just because he beat Dan (which would be pretty silly) or if there's some other reason. Missing weight by 12lbs is totally unprofessional but the tweets were coming before that.

@Anthony_Rumble this is not about Dan so leave him out of it, this is between me and you. GSP, Condit, lytle = Good guys. You = fake. Period

fucking hell

• Paid Members
Third time now. It's actually worse than I first thought as I knew there was the Yoshida fight, but Junkie reported that it happened with the Clementi fight also.

Yeah it really is a joke now. Dana's rightly pissed off.

"Rumble Johnson is not on weight today, and when I say he's not on weight he's way off weight. This is not the first time this has happened with Johnson. He moved up to 185-pounds so this wouldn't happen to him at 170 pounds, and here we are in the same position. Belfort came in like a professional on weight, and Anthony Johnson comes in as a total unprofessional, way overweight. The stipulation is, Vitor does not want him to weigh more than 205 pounds by tomorrow. So we will see how this plays out. He'll weigh in today and have to weigh in tomorrow. As a fighter, you are a professional. You are contracted to come in at a certain weight."

I was rooting for Vitor anyway but it would be doubly nice to see some justice done now. Johnson will probably end up in Japan where weightclasses don't really matter anyway. He can fight Minowaman on one event and Bob Sapp on the next. He's only got himself to blame for this.

It's a shame because I always enjoyed watching Rumble fight. If only he could stay out of the fridge during weight cutting. Or even better, actually fight in the right weight class.

No arguments from me there. Pound for pound is all subjective but there's no-one in your top 5 who shouldn't be there.

Good points on Edgar too. He does deserve a top 5 spot, especially when you think he's a natural 145er going up in weight and sitting on top of such a deep division. He's the type of fighter pound for pound talk was invented for.

Thinking about it, I'll ammend my top 5 and have Edgar/Hendo as joint 5th. I have Aldo one above just because he's had a longer title reign, beaten guys of different styles and has beat pretty much everyone at 145.

Cheers mate!

As for Anthony Johnson, not making weight isn't on. Anthony Johnson has done that a couple of times.. I can't ever remember a UFC fighter missing weight by that much. Disgrace. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut for it.

EDIT:

RIO DE JANEIRO – Dana White today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he's "beyond pissed" at Anthony Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) after the fighter came in 11 pounds overweight for a bout with Vitor Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-4 UFC) at UFC 142.

The UFC president said Johnson came within a pound-and-a-half of the 186-pound limit allowed for non-title middleweight fights but was forced by a doctor to rehydrate because "he couldn't make it."

Now, Johnson is fighting for his job, regardless of whether he wins or loses the co-main event fight, which takes place Saturday at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

"His job is on the line," White said. "His job is absolutely on the line, win or lose."

White's explanation for Johnson's miss differed sharply from the fighter's representative. Johnson's manager, Glenn Robinson, today told Yahoo! Sports that the fighter fell ill three hours before weigh-ins and was instructed by UFC doctor Jeff Davidson to put fluids back into his body. Those fluids pushed Johnson to 197 pounds. (Robinson declined comment to MMAjunkie.com.)

"Complete and absolute unprofessionalism – that's what happened," White said. "There's no other way it can be explained.

Johnson was fined 20 percent of his "show" purse. It's the third time he's come in over weight in the UFC: At UFC 76, he fought Rich Clementi at a catchweight of 177.5, and at UFC 104, he fought Yoshiyuki Yoshida at 176 pounds. Against Yoshida, he was also fined 20 percent of his "show" purse.

However, the penalty for this infraction could be much worse.

Credit: mmajunkie.com

ajfat.jpg

• Paid Members

I've been following the Mark Hardy/Rumble beef this week and unsurprisingly Hardy has had plenty more to say since this news of Rumble came out.

@Mark_Hardy4

I'm in shape. Round is a shape... isn't it? ~Author Unknown

@Mark_Hardy4

@dan_anderson_ steady on dude, it was a medical reason.. His legs wouldn't stop taking him to the frige apparently.

@Mark_Hardy4

@dan_anderson_ don't worry about it mate, he loses he's cut, I have a field day. Watch this space if fat boy loses..

He should shut up now. He's trying to make a name off fighters' mistakes when his own son is extremely lucky not to have received his walking papers.

Rumble is fighting for his job now and this situation will have a lot of say on how he fights. Whatever he does he's going to need to give Dana and Co. a reason to keep on the books. I thought all along his gameplan would be to take Vitor down and try and keep him there but I guess that really isn't an option if he wants to stay. Impressive victory or bust, I say.

Rumble is fighting for his job now and this situation will have a lot of say on how he fights. Whatever he does he's going to need to give Dana and Co. a reason to keep on the books. I thought all along his gameplan would be to take Vitor down and try and keep him there but I guess that really isn't an option if he wants to stay. Impressive victory or bust, I say.

I'm not sure an impressive victory will save Anthony Johnson. I think he's gone.

Archived