UFC 142: Aldo vs Mendes Discussion Thread

David

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

UFC_142_poster.jpg

Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes (for featherweight title)

Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson

Mike Massenzio vs. Rousimar Palhares

Carlo Prater vs. Erick Silva

Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim

Sam Stout vs. Thiago Tavares*

Ricardo Funch vs. Mike Pyle*

Caio Magalhaes vs. Fabio Maldonado*

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira*

Felipe Arantes vs. Antonio "Pato" Carvalho*

Yuri Alcantara vs. Michihiro Omigawa*

*prelim fight

Cue the music, Diddy. UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo is coming home.

Jose Aldo will defend his belt against top contender Chad Mendes at January's UFC 142 event in the UFC featherweight champion's native country of Brazil.

Aldo seeks his third-consecutive defense of the first-ever UFC featherweight title. The 25-year-old was granted the belt when the UFC absorbed the WEC, where Aldo was the reigning champion with two successful title defenses. Aldo has since earned unanimous-decision wins over Kenny Florian and Mark Hominick.

Meanwhile, Mendes brings a perfect career mark into the contest. The Team Alpha Male product was penciled in to face Aldo at this past August's UFC 133 event, but injuries to the champ prevented the contest. Mendes elected to fight on rather than wait, downing Rani Yahya via decision. The 26-year-old will now be rewarded for his choice with a shot at the belt.

UFC returns to Brazil with a decent little card. The prelims are being shown on FX in the US, so I'm hoping we get them somewhere over here? Probably not.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Good card. Main event will be interesting to see if Mendes can give Aldo some problems with his wrestling. Aldo's stuffed Faber and Brown's shots but Mendes is more relentless with it.

Belfort vs Rumble could end violently. Wonder if Rumble's move up is permanent? He had some good wins at 170 but who knows what that massive weight cut was taking out of him. This could be a great move and we could actually see a more explosive Anthony Johnson which is pretty scary. I'm leaning towards Belfort though, more speed and better boxing. Think Rumble might use his wrestling again.

Barboza vs Etim stands out on this one for me. That's gonna be a hell of a fight. Hope Etim pulls it off because I still think he's one of the most talented UK fighters around at the moment. Barboza's a beast but I've seen people rating him as some killer when really it's still early days for him in MMA. He's got a lot of skills but he's not unbeatable and I actually had him losing to Ross Pearson. I could deffo see Etim winning. I'm pretty much 50/50 on this fight.

Difference between the Brazil show this year and this one is like night and day, imo.

Can't say I'm overly excited about this card atm (bar Belfort & Aldo fighting, Barboza/Etim and the return of Gonzaga), perhaps thats because we've been absolutely spoilt this year by UFC but still its alittle light imo.

• Paid Members

this is the kind of card that shows the global expansion that's going to happen in the next year or so, this show is just packed with unheralded Brazilian fighters.The UFC division's just keep growing...all these countries have massive MMA scenes with tons of UFC-level fighter. A couple made a big impression last time out (Erick Silva for one), and i always love seeing guys bust out and make a name for themselves.

The main card should be all kinds of fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Barboza/ Etim is the one im most looking forward to myself. Thinking Etim takes it, which will be interesting to see where the UFC match him next. Rogan's been mooting him as the next Anderson Silva since his first UFC in London.

I don't know why but this card doesn't exactly have me all that hyped, the Etim fight beong the only one I'm looking forward to. It will be interesting to see how Johnson does when he's not taking on guys who are a lot smaller than him though, since Johnson always came into his fights prior looking more like a light heavyweight guy. I just hope it's not more boring lay and prey from him.

• Paid Members

Does anyone know if the FX prelims are to be streamed on UFC.com?

Looking forward to seeing what the atmosphere will be like following the madness that was UFC:Rio. No doubt the buzz for this has been quieter than what were used to but there are some good fights on paper here and it should be a fun event. The main should be great and I'm interested to see Rumble at 185 against Vitor. Etim/Barboza should be fireworks, plus the debut of highly touted Ednaldo Oliveira against a returning Gonzaga. Paul Harris will be kicking about which usually means something weird going down too.

This starts a great run of UFC events over the next few weeks as well. Spoilt we are.

Also - Dana F'n White's 142 Vblog. Part 1

I'm surprised Erick Silva is on the main card against a new guy. Low in star power, but these are the cards that generally deliver. Echoing the love for Etim vs. Barboza. I'm hoping Aldo is fired up to fight in Brazil, I haven't been overly impressed by him so far, considering he was touted as one of the P4P best. And I expect and hope Vitor to virtually kill Rumble, nothing against Rumble, but if Vitor loses it makes him look a little bad going into TUF.

• Paid Members

This is the bout order/broadcast info for UFC 142

Main Card (PPV/ESPN)Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes (UFC Featherweight Title)Vitor Belfort vs Anthony JohnsonRousimar Palhares vs Mike MassenzioErick Silva vs Carlo PraterTerry Etim vs Edson BarbozaPrelims (FX in the US not here :angry: )Sam Stout vs Thiago TavaresGabriel Gonzaga vs Ednaldo OliveiraMichihiro Omigawa vs Yuri AlcantaraMike Pyle vs Ricardo FunchPrelims (Facebook)Felipe Arantes vs Antonio Carvalho

I thought they were televising all the prelims now. Why the one fight on Facebook? I'm looking forward to this more the closer it gets. Especially Etim/Barboza and Vitor/Rumble. Prelims look good too, Stout vs Tavares and Gonzaga vs Oliveira are interesting fights. And Palhares is always worth tuning in for.

• Paid Members

I'm hoping Aldo is fired up to fight in Brazil, I haven't been overly impressed by him so far, considering he was touted as one of the P4P best.

I still think Aldo's one of the top 4 or 5 pound for pound. He went the distance in his last 2 fights but he still won convincingly and really hasn't been troubled yet in any of his WEC or UFC fights. And he's pretty close to having cleaned out the 145 division. He's kinda been the forgotten champion with all the excitement over Jon Jones this last year but I can't see how dominating wins over Hominick (which was a great fight btw) and Florian are not impressive.My current top 5 pound for pound would look something like1 - Anderson Silva2 - Jon Jones3 - Georges St Pierre4 - Jose Aldo5 - Dan HendersonThe 5th spot was a tough choice between Hendo and Frankie Edgar but Hendo edges it for me. It's nitpicking but Edgar had a draw before his last win whereas Hendo's coming off a 4 fight winning streak that includes a title win, 2 first round KO's and wins over Fedor (at a higher weight) and Shogun in the FOTY.

• Paid Members

Main Card (PPV/ESPN)Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes (UFC Featherweight Title)Vitor Belfort vs Anthony JohnsonRousimar Palhares vs Mike MassenzioErick Silva vs Carlo PraterTerry Etim vs Edson BarbozaPrelims (FX in the US not here :angry: )Sam Stout vs Thiago TavaresGabriel Gonzaga vs Ednaldo OliveiraMichihiro Omigawa vs Yuri AlcantaraMike Pyle vs Ricardo FunchPrelims (Facebook)Felipe Arantes vs Antonio Carvalho

I thought they were televising all the prelims now. Why the one fight on Facebook? I'm looking forward to this more the closer it gets. Especially Etim/Barboza and Vitor/Rumble. Prelims look good too, Stout vs Tavares and Gonzaga vs Oliveira are interesting fights. And Palhares is always worth tuning in for.
Are the FX prelims being shown on UFC.com?

Are the FX prelims being shown on UFC.com?
I believe it will be shown here for us: http://www.ufc.tv/ufc/event/prelims/1046

• Paid Members

Yeah they're usually on ufc.tv if they're not on TV here. So that would be a good possibility. I'm sure they'll get them on for us somewhere. They always announce stuff last minute for us so I'll be checking MMAJunkie on Saturday afternoon for the details :thumbsup:edit - ok fuck that, thanks swift. So they're deffo on there then.

Archived