Loaded House Shows

Shane O' Mac Version 2

In a reversal to Lister's thread, since it's Christmas and we should have some positivity cranking up, what are some of the best house shows you've been to? I've only been to one, in Sydney in April 2005, but looking back on it now it was an absolutely loaded card in terms of names, and featured great action as well on the undercard.

World Tag Team Championship: William Regal/Tajiri vs. La Resistance

The Hurricane vs. Tyson Tomko

Val Venis vs. Chris Masters

Victoria vs. Molly Holly (Special Ref: Christy Hemme)

WWE Intercontinental Championship: Shelton Benjamin vs. Christian

Chris Jericho vs. Muhammed Hassan

Kane vs. Edge

Triple H & Ric Flair vs. Batista & Chris Benoit

8 World Champions (including one HOFer) on the one card, and everyone worked their asses off. Val and Hurricane were great choices to get the most out of Masters and Tomko, we had the two best Divas wrestling, the absolute showstealer in Benjamin vs. Christian, and HHH spewing out some very un-PG verbiage to the crowd. Earlier before the event, Orton, HBK and Trish were advertised, but injuries prevented them from making it. It also had appearances from Eric Bischoff and Stacy Keibler. Probably the best change was the IC title match, originally scheduled to be Benjamin vs. Snitsky, but there was a last minute change. I actually spotted Snitsky sculling a beer bottle in the carpark after the show. :D

So what are some of your best, most star studded house shows?

Best one by far I've been to was at MSG from March of this year. Everything was at least fun, with the women's match being surprisingly good - who'd have thought that giving them time would have been better than rushing a match in a couple of minutes, eh? The six man was fantastic, they should definitely have a multi-man tag with some of the lower carders at Mania now that MITB is a separate thing. The two main events were really good too, nice seeing Triple H wrestling after such a long time, and he worked very hard to his credit.

WWE Heavyweight Championship

Randy Orton vs. The Miz

Evan Bourne, Santino Marella, & Vladimir Kozlov vs. Zack Ryder, Primo, & Tyson Kidd

Guest Referee - Sunny

Kelly Kelly and Eve vs. The Bella Twins

The Great Khali vs. Alex Riley

John Morrison vs. Dolph Ziggler

Daniel Bryan vs. Ted Dibiase Jr

Street Fight

Triple H vs. Sheamus

Main Event

John Cena & Randy Orton vs. The Miz and CM Punk

I remember the first WWE show I ever attended in November 96 (iirc) at the Dockland Arena. The Rock beat JBL and others on the card were Bret Hart Vs Vader, Sid Vs Austin, Taker Vs Mankind (falls count anywhere) Owen and Bulldog Vs Godwinns

Here is the card

Singles Match

Barry Horowitz defeats TL Hopper

Singles Match

Rocky Maivia defeats Justin Bradshaw

Singles Match

Crush defeats Bob Holly

Singles Match

Faarooq defeats The Stalker (Barry Windham)

Singles Match

The Executioner (Terry Gordy) defeats Aldo Montoya (Justin Credible)

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match

Steve Austin defeats Sycho Sid © by DQ

Singles Match

Bret Hart defeats Vader

WWF World Tag Team Title Match

Owen Hart & The British Bulldog © defeat The Godwinns (Henry O. Godwinn & Phineas I. Godwinn)

No Holds Barred Match

The Undertaker defeats Mankind

Top half of the card is stacked and the undercard was not to bad !

• Paid Members
The Rock beat JBL

Sure, when you put it like that, it sounds a big deal.

I was the at other half of the same tour, and while the top half was loaded, everything prior to Bret was "meh".

The Executioner beat Barry Horowitz

The Stalker pinned Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw

Crush pinned Bob Holly

Rocky Maivia pinned TL Hopper

Bret Hart pinned Mankind

Steve Austin pinned Aldo Montoya

Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith beat The Godwinns (Tag Team Title)

The Undertaker pinned Vader

Sid pinned Farooq (WWF Title)

In comparison, the Passport To Pain show I went to in 2003 not only featured a decent roster but there were some absolute belters. Eddy G in particular shone like the star he was in both his match, and interfering on his nephew's behalf later. And Benoit, Angle, Show and Cena had a cracking "lets do all the comedy spots on the house show and have a laugh" match. Probably sounds shit, but it was great fun. The main event was brutally serious.

Eddy Guerrero pinned Rhino (United States title)

A-Train pinned Matt Hardy

Sho Funaki won a triangle match over Ultimo Dragon and Nunzio

Chavo Guerrero Jr pinned Charlie Haas

Jamie Noble & Billy Kidman beat The Bashams

Yoshihiro Tajiri pinned Rey Misterio (Cruiserweight title)

Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit beat Big Show & John Cena

Brock Lesnar pinned The Undertaker (WWE title)

• Paid Members

Bimingham 2002 was a good one

RVD beat X-Pac with the Five Star Frog Splash.

Goldust pinned Tommy Dreamer with a DDT and help from Booker T.

WOMANS TITLE: Jazz made Jacqueline submit with the STF to retain.

HARDCORE 4WAY: Steven Richards vs Justin Credible vs Shawn Stasiak vs Crash Holly.

Crash pinned Credible.

Richards pinned Crash.

IC TITLE: Eddie Guerrero pinned Jeff Hardy to retain.

EURO TITLE: Spike Dudley pins William Regal with a roll up.

Trish Stratus and Jerry Lawler beat Molly Holly and Mr Perfect.

Big Show pinned Bradshaw after a Choke Slam. (X-Pac and Nash interfered.)

Undertaker and Brock Lesnar beat HHH and Matt Hardy.

Steve Austin pinned Scott Hall w/Big Show after three Stunners.

The Rock beat JBL

Sure, when you put it like that, it sounds a big deal.

In comparison, the Passport To Pain show I went to in 2003 not only featured a decent roster but there were some absolute belters. Eddy G in particular shone like the star he was in both his match, and interfering on his nephew's behalf later. And Benoit, Angle, Show and Cena had a cracking "lets do all the comedy spots on the house show and have a laugh" match. Probably sounds shit, but it was great fun. The main event was brutally serious.

Eddy Guerrero pinned Rhino (United States title)

A-Train pinned Matt Hardy

Sho Funaki won a triangle match over Ultimo Dragon and Nunzio

Chavo Guerrero Jr pinned Charlie Haas

Jamie Noble & Billy Kidman beat The Bashams

Yoshihiro Tajiri pinned Rey Misterio (Cruiserweight title)

Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit beat Big Show & John Cena

Brock Lesnar pinned The Undertaker (WWE title)

I was thinking along the same lines with "The Rock beat JBL" :D

That SD show does sound pretty great. Two things though:

1. Benoit worked comedy spots? :confused:

2. Triangle match? Is that another of saying triple threat or 3 way dance? Also a bit surprised that Funaki won over Ultimo, his WWE run really bombed didn't it :( Off topic, what was the reason for Ultimo's release? The worst thing I remember him doing is tripping at WMXX.

Not exactly loaded in terms of star power, but this is the best house show I've been to. Went there with two non-wrestling fans as well and they absolutely loved every minute of it. Regal/Finlay and JBL/Benoit were first class. Bradshaw cut a nearly riot-inducing promo at the start and they had a great old school brawl for about half an hour. The main event was about 10 minutes long and some people seemed pissed off but it was the perfect length really, looking back. Interestingly, the only match I can't remember whatsoever was the Helms/Hardy match.

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Newcastle, England - Metroradio Arena - April 21, 2006 (9,000; sell out)

Paul Birchill defeated Orlando Jordan

WWE Smackdown! Tag Team Champions Johnny Nitro & Joey Mercury defeated Paul London & Brian Kendrick

Tatanka defeated Road Warrior Animal

Matt Hardy pinned WWE Cruiserweight Champion Gregory Helms in a non-title match with the Twist of Fate

Sho Funaki fought Nunzio to a no contest when the Great Khali interfered and attacked both men

Bobby Lashley pinned Booker T with a powerslam

William Regal pinned Finlay

WWE US Champion John Bradshaw Layfield pinned Chris Benoit with a DDT onto a steel chair after Orlando Jordan interfered

World Heavyweight Champion Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Mark Henry and Kurt Angle by pinning Henry; Ken Kennedy did guest ring announcing for the match

Not exactly loaded in terms of star power, but this is the best house show I've been to. Went there with two non-wrestling fans as well and they absolutely loved every minute of it. Regal/Finlay and JBL/Benoit were first class. Bradshaw cut a nearly riot-inducing promo at the start and they had a great old school brawl for about half an hour. The main event was about 10 minutes long and some people seemed pissed off but it was the perfect length really, looking back. Interestingly, the only match I can't remember whatsoever was the Helms/Hardy match.

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Newcastle, England - Metroradio Arena - April 21, 2006 (9,000; sell out)

WWE Smackdown! Tag Team Champions Johnny Nitro & Joey Mercury defeated Paul London & Brian Kendrick

Matt Hardy pinned WWE Cruiserweight Champion Gregory Helms in a non-title match with the Twist of Fate

Sho Funaki fought Nunzio to a no contest when the Great Khali interfered and attacked both men

WWE US Champion John Bradshaw Layfield pinned Chris Benoit with a DDT onto a steel chair after Orlando Jordan interfered

World Heavyweight Champion Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Mark Henry and Kurt Angle by pinning Henry; Ken Kennedy did guest ring announcing for the match

Ah i remember that show, Finlay/Regal was an absolute barn-stormer and 10 times better than the match they'd done the week before(Or possibly the week after i forget) at the Great American Bash

The best thing about JBL's promo was after he'd done it he marched over to Howard Finkle to give him back the mic and shouted "And THAT'S how you cut a promo!" His actual match with Benoit was definitly one of the best matches i've ever seen JBL in and you could tell both guys really had their working boots on.

• Paid Members
1. Benoit worked comedy spots?

Well, from what I can remember he was the "straight man" foil to Angle being wacky. Angle kissed both the heels and eventually Benoit too. I have a hazy memory of one of the faces tying Cena's laces together, causing him to fall over when he tried getting back to his feet.

2. Triangle match? Is that another of saying triple threat or 3 way dance? Also a bit surprised that Funaki won over Ultimo, his WWE run really bombed didn't it

Yes, triangle = triple threat, one fall to a finish. To me "three way dance" always implies elimination as that's what it meant when the phrase was coined in ECW. Funaki won with a small package on Nunzio (ugh) sneaking back into the ring after Nunzio and Dragon had a heated exchange of big moves and near falls. They (correctly) assumed Funaki would be the most popular man in the match.

Off topic, what was the reason for Ultimo's release? The worst thing I remember him doing is tripping at WMXX.

Both parties had significantly lost interest in working with the other. Pretty straightforward really. WWE thought Dragon hadn't caught on with the fans, Dragon felt he had been booked poorly. Both were right.

12/03/1993

Maxx Payne vs. Van Hammer - Draw

Michael Hayes defeats Scotty Flamingo

Rick Rude defeats Johnny B. Badd

Davey Boy Smith defeats Vinnie Vegas

Big Van Vader defeats Cactus Jack

Dustin Rhodes & Sting defeat Barry Windham & Paul Orndorff

29/10/93

Brian Pillman vs. Johnny B. Badd

Maxx Payne vs. Ricky Steamboat

Lord Steven Regal © vs. Dustin Rhodes

2 Cold Scorpio & Marcus Alexander Bagwell vs. The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags) ©

Rick Rude © vs. Ric Flair

Big Van Vader & Steve Austin vs. Davey Boy Smith & Sting

Aside from a match or two virtually every match on these Birmingham WCW house shows from 1993 contains a true great in my eyes.

The most loaded house show I've been too was also my first one, on the Tour of Defiance in 2004

WWE (Raw) @ Birmingham, England - NEC Arena - May 29, 2004

WWE Raw Tag Team Champion Edge pinned Batista with the spear

Rhyno & Lita defeated Tyson Tomko & Trish Stratus when Rhyno pinned Tomko after the Gore; the match started as Matt Hardy & Lita against Tomko & Trish but Kane came out and chokeslammed Hardy

WWE Women

• Awards Moderator

Ah i remember that show, Finlay/Regal was an absolute barn-stormer and 10 times better than the match they'd done the week before(Or possibly the week after i forget) at the Great American Bash

The best thing about JBL's promo was after he'd done it he marched over to Howard Finkle to give him back the mic and shouted "And THAT'S how you cut a promo!" His actual match with Benoit was definitly one of the best matches i've ever seen JBL in and you could tell both guys really had their working boots on.

I was at that show too, and I'm ashamed to say most of it had totally slipped my mind until now - if you'd asked me yesterday I could probably have only remembered the last two matches (and even then I'd forgotten the Kennedy involvement). I don't know how I could have forgotten Regal vs. Finlay, that was an absolutely belting match!

Everything bar the Booger match

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - August 13, 1993 (13,000)

The original line up for this card included Marty Jannetty vs. Doink, Bret Hart vs. Yokozuna, and WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels vs. Mr. Perfect in a steel cage match

Owen Hart defeated Blake Beverly (Blake's last MSG appearance)

The 1-2-3 Kid pinned Doink the Clown with a small package (the Kid's MSG debut)

The Smoking Gunns defeated the Headshrinkers

Jerry Lawler defeated Randy Savage via disqualification when Bret Hart interfered

WWF World Champion Yokozuna defeated Bret Hart in a steel cage match at 25:00 by escaping through the door after Jerry Lawler interfered and threw salt into Hart's eyes

Bastion Booger pinned the Brooklyn Brawler with the sit-down splash (Booger's MSG debut)

WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels, Diesel, & Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Mr. Perfect, Marty Jannetty, & Tatanka in an elimination match; eliminations saw Diesel pin Jannetty with a punch to the face; Tatanka and Bigelow fought to a double count-out; Perfect pinned Michaels with the Perfect Plex; Diesel pinned Perfect with a sucker punch to the back of the head / neck

Archived