Spot a shitty house show

JNLister

• Moderators
Behold gentlemen, the card WWF put on the day of my birth:

WWF @ Grand Rapids, MI - Stadium Arena - February 22, 1990 (4,000)

Paul Roma defeated Conquistador #1

Tito Santana defeated Akeem via disqualification

Earthquake pinned Ron Garvin

WWF Tag Team Champions Andre the Giant & Haku defeated Demolition via count-out

The Brooklyn Brawler pinned Tom Stone

Black Bart pinned Jim Evans

WWF IC Champion The Ultimate Warrior pinned Dino Bravo after less than 30 seconds

That looks a decent enough B-Show to be fair. Andre, Warrior, Paul Roma. That'd do me.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WWF @ Metheun, MA - High School - June 2, 1986

This card was held by the Methuen Police Union

Rene Goulet defeated George Skaaland

George Wells defeated Tiger Chung Lee

Jean Kirkland defeated Leilani Kai

Iron Mike Sharpe defeated Mr. X

B. Brian Blair & Jim Brunzell defeated Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart

WWF @ Exeter, NH - High School Gym - June 21, 1986

Lanny Poffo defeated Rene Goulet

Paul Roma defeated Terry Gibbs

David Sammartino defeated Les Thornton

Velvet McIntyre defeated Penny Mitchell

Cousin Luke defeated Iron Mike Sharpe

George Steele defeated Bob Orton via disqualification after Orton threw a chair into the ring

WWF @ Coatsville, PA - High School - October 30, 1985

Cpl. Kirchner defated the Spoiler

SD Jones defeated Tiger Chung Lee

Pedro Morales defeated Ron Shaw

Uncle Elmer defeated Iron Mike Sharpe

The Junkyard Dog defeated Terry Funk

Andre the Giant defeated Big John Studd via count-out

• Moderators
WWF @ Coatsville, PA - High School - October 30, 1985

Cpl. Kirchner defated the Spoiler

SD Jones defeated Tiger Chung Lee

Pedro Morales defeated Ron Shaw

Uncle Elmer defeated Iron Mike Sharpe

The Junkyard Dog defeated Terry Funk

Andre the Giant defeated Big John Studd via count-out

That's an ok card! You've got the #2 and #3 faces on there, both in feuds which were notable. Pedro was still over with live crowds as well. That one from Exeter, New Hampshire sucks dick with enthusiasm though. Looks like it was a sold show or fundraiser or something.

I was at the WCW birmingham show in 2000.

I think those house shows were symptomatic of WCWs problems at the time. The company didn't have much of a vision at the top, as the folks in charge seemed to change fortnightly. So without a clear vision, Tel Taylor and Jonnny Ace just muddled through

To be honest, I think the rubbish UK house shows in March 2000 were just down to injuries, creative control and personal issues, rather than a lack of "vision".

Goldberg, Scott Steiner, and DDP were injured. Kevin Nash and Bret Hart, although at the shows, couldn't work matches because of injuries. Sid, who was WCW champion at the time, apparently wasn't allowed back in the country after his incident with Arn Anderson and a pair of scissors at a Blackburn hotel a few years earlier. Scott Hall had been fired a couple of weeks before after getting pissed on the plane to Germany. Hulk Hogan and Sting, apparently, didn't want to go to the UK and because of their contracts, were able to just stay at home.

The shows would have been very different if it wasn't for the injuries and other issues.

I wasn't expecting much from the shows, as I knew Goldberg, Steiner etc were injured, and they had been off TV for weeks. But, I guess the average fan who went to the show probably just watched the weeks out-of-date WCW Worldwide on Channel 5 on Friday nights - and didn't know about the injuries.

• Moderators

It was also during a total lame duck period, to be fair. Siegel or whomever had probably already sorted the new starting date with Bisch and Russo by then, just waiting for Johnny Ace to appear in the summer and get a bit of power so he could weave his 2001 magic.

Hey guys, reading the shitty house show thread got me thinking about the wcw tour from nov 00

I went to the London show and taped that episode of nitro for prosperity! But mislaid it a couple years ago

Would anyone know where I could get a copy? Thanks....The card below, Although I'm still embarrassed at how excited the 16yr old me was when buff's music hit!!

WCW @ London, England - Arena - November 10, 2000 (9,138)

Monday Nitro - 11/13/00:

WCW Hardcore Champion Crowbar defeated Big Vito

Lethal Lottery: Sting & Scott Steiner defeated Mike Awesome & Bam Bam Bigelow

Lethal Lottery: Kronik defeated WCW World Champion Booker T & Lex Luger

Kevin Nash defeated Chuck Palumbo, Shawn Stasiak & WCW Tag Team Champion Sean O'Haire via disqualification in a handicap match

Ernest Miller defeated Elix Skipper

Bill Goldberg defeated Disco Inferno & Alex Wright in a handicap match

Lance Storm defeated WCW US Champion Hugh Morrus to win the title

Lethal Lottery: Sting & Scott Steiner defeated Kronik

Worldwide - 12/2/00: Norman Smiley defeated Kwee Wee (w/ Paisley)

Worldwide - 12/16/00: Buff Bagwell defeated Drew McDonald

The choice of which match went last was certainly wrong

Have the big promotions always had a habit of not putting on the biggest (or even one of the biggest) match last, when it comes to house shows and non-televised events? Royal Rumble 88 had a surprising tag team match to close the show- Young Stallions going over someone IIRC. And when I saw a WWE Smackdown show at Docklands Arena years ago, the main event was Rikishi & Tajiri VS Nunzio & Chuck Palumbo, or someone from FBI. Yet the undercard contained Brock Lesnar VS Big Show for the WWE title, Benoit VS Rhyno (I think), Los Guerreros VS WGTT, Rey Mysterio in a triple threat.

I always felt partially responsible for you guys getting that main event - I attended the first show of the Tour de Force in Aberdeen, and the Rikishi tag was in the first half. At the end of the match he did "the dance" and the crowd were uber enthusiastic. It felt like everyone (fans, parents, guardians, spouses, arena staff) joined in and made a helluva lot of noise.

So much so that when I saw the subsequent results from the tour big Kish was on last. In fairness he got a huge response compared to Lesnar who ended the show going over Big Show.

WWF @ Brookhaven, NY - Bellport High School - February 12, 1995

Man Mountain Rock defeated Mike Bell

Mabel defeated Tony Devito

Hakushi defeated Aldo Montoya

Doink the Clown defeated the Brooklyn Brawler

WWF Tag Team Champions the Smoking Gunns defeated Mike Bell & the Executioner

King Kong Bundy defeated Adam Bomb

Jacob & Eli Blu fought the New Headshrinkers to a double count-out

Lex Luger defeated Tatanka in a lumberjack match

As much as I like some of the guys on the card, this is pretty much an entire card of squash matches apart from the top three matches, of which one features a double countout, and one is King Kong Bundy v Adam Bomb!!

WWF @ New Haven, CT - Coliseum - February 22, 1997 (4,426)

Headbanger Mosh defeated Barry Horowitz

Brakkus defeated Tony Devito

Headbanger Thrasher defeated Freddie Joe Floyd

Miguel Perez defeated Jose Estrada Jr.

Bart Gunn defeated TL Hopper

Marlena defeated Sunny via disqualification in an arm wrestling match

Goldust defeated Crush & Savio Vega in a handicap match

Henry & Phinneas Godwinn defeated Blackjack Windham & Blackjack Bradshaw via disqualification

The Undertaker defeated Farooq in a steel cage match

I believe this was a matinee show too as Smothers made his ECW debut that night losing to Taz at the ECW Arena.

I think those house shows were symptomatic of WCWs problems at the time. The company didn't have much of a vision at the top, as the folks in charge seemed to change fortnightly. So without a clear vision, Tel Taylor and Jonnny Ace just muddled through

To be honest, I think the rubbish UK house shows in March 2000 were just down to injuries, creative control and personal issues, rather than a lack of "vision".

Goldberg, Scott Steiner, and DDP were injured. Kevin Nash and Bret Hart, although at the shows, couldn't work matches because of injuries. Sid, who was WCW champion at the time, apparently wasn't allowed back in the country after his incident with Arn Anderson and a pair of scissors at a Blackburn hotel a few years earlier. Scott Hall had been fired a couple of weeks before after getting pissed on the plane to Germany. Hulk Hogan and Sting, apparently, didn't want to go to the UK and because of their contracts, were able to just stay at home.

The shows would have been very different if it wasn't for the injuries and other issues.

I wasn't expecting much from the shows, as I knew Goldberg, Steiner etc were injured, and they had been off TV for weeks. But, I guess the average fan who went to the show probably just watched the weeks out-of-date WCW Worldwide on Channel 5 on Friday nights - and didn't know about the injuries.

Wasn't Sid on the november 1996 WWF tour IIRC?

Wasn't Sid on the november 1996 WWF tour IIRC?

Yup, he beat Farooq in the last match of the NEC show in a stinker.

Archived