Your football club's motto

air_raid

• Paid Members

I was thinking this the other day relevant to my own lads, and I thought it might make a discussion point if any others among you had ever really thought about it. What do your clubs words mean to you, if anything? Obviously to make a decent contribution a) your club needs to have a motto and b) you need to think something about it, so go ahead. Might die on its arse, but hey ho.

I'll go first, natch.

tottenhama.gif

The crest, for the uninitiated, is that of Tottenham Hotspur.

"Audere-est Facere"

The words translate from Latin as "To dare is to do" but the meaning is so much more to me.

It's the basic ethos of how the team plays, and has always played, the beautiful game, as we believe it should be played. Play with guts and bravado, pass the ball and attack with craft. Some of the goals I have seen only in my own life time have been breathtaking end to end breaks and passing moves between five or six players, tearing the opposition open with aggression.

Moreover, it's an attitude. DARE to attack and go at the other lot, never sit back and accept anything other than going out and trying to play the game, score goals and WIN. It's a swashbuckling style that has been ridiculed at length and that often exposes the defence. The noise from Highbury used to be "let them try playing attractive football, we'll win the league winning 1-0 every week." Periodically we'll be naive enough to pick a team to "have a go at" and then get picked off, as we did at home to City in August.

But that's Tottenham - I've seen them score four at home and still lose, I've seen them concede four at home and still win, and not many teams will have contested three 4-4 draws in twelve months as we did against Villa, Chelsea and Arsenal between October 2007 and October 2008. In turn, spellbinding and maddening, I wouldn't have them any other way.

There is a famous quote from our double-winning captain that sums up the "To dare is to do" philosophy to a tee :

The game is about glory. It is about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.

Your turn.

Well Evertons is 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum' which translates roughly to 'Nothing is good enough but the best'.

Which is a pretty good sensible motto for any club to have. Sure its not possible to always be the best but you should always do everything possible to try.

Unfortunatly these days, people from the board in charge of the club down to some fans on the street think averageness is acceptable and we should be greatful for that.

• Paid Members
Arsenal's is 'Victoria Concordia Crescit' which means 'Victory Through Harmony'. Now more than ever.

Tell you what, no motto could sum up the Invincible team more than this, was totally apt. When they used to huddle after each match and chant 'together'. I think there is a bit more harmony now than there was a couple of years ago, where the squad seemed to be split by 2 or 3 different cliques.

Archived