Worst/Best Christmas presents thread

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

I'm not an ungreatful person by any means, but we've all received something down the years that we'd rather have not had. There's nothing worse than having to feign happiness and excitement after receiving something godawful for Christmas.

Name your rubbish gifts received or given.

I'll start with the present I received from my boss. A paperweight. The good thing was I didn't open it in front of her. That would have been torture.

Over to you.

Edit -May as well talk about our favourite gifts too. Mine was my Atari 2600 when I was about 7. My first ever games console and I treasured it. I played it for so long initially that my legs and feet went dead from sitting for so long.

Best gift ever for me was getting a PS3. Purely because It was a genuine surprise as I hadnt asked for one or implied an interest in getting one. I dont really get any bad gifts so I guess the worse would be just be getting DVD's of films that I have no intention of watching.

Best Present: Last year my Fiancee bought me a Nintendo DSI. She didn't have a lot of money with being a student at the time so i was well chuffed with that. And i won a PS3 in my works raffle so that was pretty damn sweet too.

Never really gotten a present i didn't like. Even a simple thing like thermal socks comes in really handy where i live, as its in the countryside and gets DAMN cold in winter, like it is today. -4 this morning.

My worst was 2 tea towels for Christmas a couple of years ago of my Mrs' nan. She made up for it by buying us a sofa this year though.

The same nan also once bought a pack of 6 blank VHS cassettes, wrapped them up individually and then sent them oupt as presents. "Merry christmas, here's a blank video."

When it's a bunch of blank tapes then yeah, they used to be handy, I'd ask for them pretty often but a SINGLE blank tape, that's a bit shit to be honest haha

*Edit* I think the first post might have been badly worded. She'd take a pack of six tapes, open them, wrap each one up individually and send a single blank tape to each one of the grandkids or whoever was lucky enough to recieve it so your Christmas present would be a single tape froma pre opened multipack.

• Paid Members

One year it became clear my nan had got all her gifts at the Tutankhamen exhibition. There was some crap flying about the room like tea towels and key rings, but I was still confident I might get something cool.

I got water diviners.

• Paid Members

Thinking about it, the absolute worst was when I was 10 and got a Playschool annual. I either stormed off to my room in a huff, or complained so loudly I was sent to my room.

It was only last year my mum explained that it was actually meant for my sister and she'd put the wrong tag on.

• Paid Members

few examples...

I used to have like 2 Christmases when i was younger, i would have one at home, then id goto my nans and have another one. My nan spoiled me pretty good so id usually have as many presents off her that i had off my parents...it was usually all toys too, so i couldnt wait to goto my nans, im pretty sure my dad bought many of the things but it was all really random and it was never stuff i asked for.

I had Nirvana 'Incesticide' off her once which was amazing, and it's still one of my most cherished cd's, not so much cause it's a great cd, but because it was so unexpected, i think to this days it's the only cd ive had that i didn't ask for. To some people that might not sound like much but it meant a lot to me.

I also got a barcode battle off her at one point, remember them fucking things. It wasn't so much a bad present because the adverts made them out to be amazing, but it was shit wasn't it, i still aint really sure what it was meant to do.

One Xmas i got bought the same GI Joe vehicle/figure pack off both my parents and my nan (and im pretty sure my dad bought both, which is weird), but that ended up being awesome, cause i used em both and used the two figures as a tag team (i wrestled with my GI Joe's)

My Mum had a jigsaw puzzle made out of the ordnance survey map of where we live. Never has so much effort gone into a present so mind-blowingly crap.

But Super Nintendo was the best. Spending Christmas morning playing Street Fighter II Turbo was the best way to celebrate the birth of a magic Palestinian carpenter.

Archived