My Best Film: Cameron Diaz

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Thought we should bring these back and have someone with tits for a change.

But she's good is Cameron. Look down her list of films and she's been in far more belters than you might think:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Diaz#Films

You especially can't argue with the 1990s - The Mask is just great fun and she does a lot more in that than just THAT entrance. Then she took a risky turn with the black comedy The Last Supper, which is absolutely ace. She's The One is pretty funny and Feeling Minnesota was not bad. But then you have the triple-header of Very Bad Things (bloody great), There's Something About Mary (good laugh) and Being John Malkovich (excellent).

The Charlie's Angels films and The Sweetest Thing were major missteps but then she made up for those with Gangs Of New York, Vanilla Sky and In Her Shoes. She also did the Shrek films, which a lot of people inexplicably like.

I'm going for Very Bad Things, personally. A totally mental performance with a brilliant ending. I reckon that if she made the effort to break into more serious films that she could comfortably bag herself a couple of Oscars by the end of her career, and although they mean shit these days, she would actually deserve them.

Good shout for a thread; after seeing and loving Vanilla Sky, my main takeaway was just how good Cameron Diaz was in it. Having only ever seen her in Charlie's Angels, There's Something About Mary, doing the voice for that Shrek shite and The Mask, I'd only ever thought of her as breezy and nice looking but nothing special, but she's ace in Vanilla Sky and really made me want to see her in more good stuff. I'll have to check out Very Bad Things; it seems very polarising, I specifically remember reading some countdown of films somewhere like Empire or somewhere and it was someone's worst filmof all time but others love it.

• Paid Members

Only ever hot in 'The Mask' strangely absolutely, stunningly sexy in that and completely average in everything else since in the hotness stakes. For me, the most over-rated 'sexy female hollywood star' like, ever for sexiness.

Regarding her performances, agree with Galt that she pulled off crazy obsessive very well in 'Vanilla Sky', good should there, fine showing.

Good choice for a resurrection there Gladders, she doesn't have a bad back catalogue there at all, you're right. Probably right in your last point too.

The Bitch Owner (forgotten her name, Christine?) in Any Given Sunday was a performance to behold from Cameron Diaz, she also excelled in Being John Malkovich. For me at least I thought she was pretty good in A Life Less Ordinary, which 'everyone' seems to rate as Danny Boyle's worst film, but I like because of Cameron Diaz's turn as Celine, and Holly Hunter, as a messed up Hitwoman Angel.

Those would be my top three performances, from the films of hers that I've seen, though I hear she's meant to be good in that Toni Collette/ Shirley Maclaine film, In Her Shoes (?)

There's Something About Mary is her best in my opinion. Likeable character, and hysterical to boot.

Tried to like Bad Teacher, but just couldn't get into it.

I watched that on a flight and thought it wasn't too bad. I enjoyed it more than The Hangover Part 2, which didn't make me smile once.

As for her best film, her iconic entrance in The Mask was, and still is, awesome.

My Sisters Keeper for me is her best film, but not because of her, in spite of her. Its not usually my kind of film and I only watched it because I'd whored everything out on the Sky player on Xbox, and it was the only thing left to watch that I hadn't already.

The Mask & Something About Mary are always going to win outright.

Not a fan, not a fan at all really. I'll grudgingly admit she was ok in Gangs... but I can think of dozens of actresses who'd have brought much more to the part.

I struggle to separate her from Gwyneth Paltrow if I'm honest - both blondes of the same age, both generally cast for looks, both perfecting a style of acting I dub "vacant". At least Diaz never made Sliding Doors though.

• Paid Members

It's between Any Given Sunday or There's Something About Mary. I'll probably give it to TSAM, seeing as she has more screen time in that movie. I agree with Loki, that she isn't anything special, acting-wise.

On her 'sexiness', she suffered from that Aniston thing of losing weight she didn't need to lose and looking much worse off because of it. She was stunning in The Mask, but then she lost a bit of her curves and, whilst still good looking, jumped out of the BJ50.

Archived