(Debate) Top 3 UK Wrestlers of All Time

Serious Parody

This should be fun.Rules: You have to post who your top 3 UK Wrestlers are and give reasons for it. Then you have to look at what other people post and say why your picks are better than theres. Whoever puts the best argument forward (decided by me) will win a free copy of Wrestling Manager. :)(Even if the game's not your kind of thing, still join in - it will be fun)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be fun.Rules: You have to post who your top 3 UK Wrestlers are and give reasons for it. Then you have to look at what other people post and say why your picks are better than theres. Whoever puts the best argument forward (decided by me) will win a free copy of Wrestling Manager. :)(Even if the game's not your kind of thing, still join in - it will be fun)

Ok not bothered about the gamebut1. Dynamite Kid - His matches in Japan were legendary. He paved the way for smaller wrestlers, and also for brit's working overseas. Also inspired many performers, none more so than Benoit.2. Nigel Mcguinness - Maybe i'm a bit lost in the fact he retired this weekend but i don't think there has ever been a wrestler from these shores who had as many good matches as Nigel. He had charisma and skills, was the complete package. Wrestled in Japan, ROH, the UK and many other countries. I believe he paved the way for the talent rich pool such as Sabre Jr, Scurll, Devitt, and the rest we have now.3. British Bulldog - He made British Wrestling Mainstream. For that reason alone he is in my top 3. But he also had stellar matches with the Harts, Shawn Michaels, Warlord, and many others.

Ok not bothered about the gamebut1. Dynamite Kid - His matches in Japan were legendary. He paved the way for smaller wrestlers, and also for brit's working overseas. Also inspired many performers, none more so than Benoit.2. Nigel Mcguinness - Maybe i'm a bit lost in the fact he retired this weekend but i don't think there has ever been a wrestler from these shores who had as many good matches as Nigel. He had charisma and skills, was the complete package. Wrestled in Japan, ROH, the UK and many other countries. I believe he paved the way for the talent rich pool such as Sabre Jr, Scurll, Devitt, and the rest we have now.3. British Bulldog - He made British Wrestling Mainstream. For that reason alone he is in my top 3. But he also had stellar matches with the Harts, Shawn Michaels, Warlord, and many others.
For me, Regal would need to be above Bulldog. He's the British Ric Flair to me. He can do funny, serious, face or heel. His technique is fantastic even if his physical attributes aren't quite there and if he hadn't have broken the wellness policy a few years ago, I think he'd have been the first English champion. throw in the fantastic matches against Benoit and Jericho and the longevity of the mans career. He's up there on my list. Perhaps if Bulldog hadn't have had the problem he had, I'd have ranked him higher.I just wish I was around to see the earlier parts of his career.

Give it a go:

1. Marc Rollerball Rocco: the dude didn't look too threatening with his tache and mop top. But in the ring he was beyond reproach. Criminally underrated by the rest of the world, Rocco had to make best as the British and European stalwart. But he did it with grace and skill, more skill than anyone else could've thought. Sadly retired due to heart problems, but still occassionally makes appearances as a figurehead and does that with aplomb. Quality man and more quality wrestler.

2. Johnny Saint: Fuck the brawlers, fuck the streetfighters and the high flyers, there is only one man who can personify an entire dying art form in pure British wrestling. His grace, speed and technical skill means he can astonish even the most blood thristy and sturgent brawling fan. Even at 60 plus he can go into a ring and redefine wrestling. He is getting some recognition at long last in United States. But the thing to remember, in this times of 2 minute matches and american style leading the way, he can influence a new generation of wrestlers not only in Britain but also the likes of Colt Cabana and Mike Quackenbush in America.

3. Doug Williams: One of the greatest modern day wrestlers who has crawled and scratched his way to moderate success. Starting after the british boom period and combining a mesh of styles from Britain, America and Japan. Doug was a big fish in a small pond exuding skill and class for most of the 2000s as FWA champion and British circuit veteran. Getting his big break with Pro Wrestling NOAH, Doug was a respected foreigner in the NOAH locker room and had good success. Most importantly he was influencial in gaining Japanese talent the ability to come over to England to learn and give the fans a whole new and tremendous experience. Now in TNA he was gone from dizzying heights to non-descript. But whenever he steps into the ring he looks like a million dollars and can produce a first rate match. Britain's best export in a long time.

I think this is a bloody good start, but do you feel that Nigel McGuinness should truly be classed as a 'British' wrestler?I ask because (and this isn't necessarily my opinion, I'm throwing it out there for the purposes of discussion) I remember one reputable indy wrestler who had a issue with this claim. And he did have a point. McGuinness left the UK permanently at the age of 12, was mostly trained in the US and had the majority of his career (and life) outside of the UK. In fact most (if not all) of his UK matches came after he became a star on the indy scene. Therefore for the purposes of this debate, although he is UK born (and a steller performer), has he truly made a big enough contribution to the UK scene to be listed as one of the top three UK wrestlers of all time? Just throwing it out there (but I know some smart arse is going to call me a moron for doing so).

I think this is a bloody good start, but do you feel that Nigel McGuinness should truly be classed as a 'British' wrestler?I ask because (and this isn't necessarily my opinion, I'm throwing it out there for the purposes of discussion) I remember one reputable indy wrestler who had a issue with this claim. And he did have a point. McGuinness left the UK permanently at the age of 12, was mostly trained in the US and had the majority of his career (and life) outside of the UK. In fact most (if not all) of his UK matches came after he became a star on the indy scene. Therefore for the purposes of this debate, although he is UK born (and a steller performer), has he truly made a big enough contribution to the UK scene to be listed as one of the top three UK wrestlers of all time? Just throwing it out there (but I know some smart arse is going to call me a moron for doing so).
I've replied to this 3 times and all three times my machine has crashed. I think you raise an interesting point so I have a counter question. Would you consider Benoit or Jericho Canadian Wrestlers? And would you consider the British Bulldog... British? I ask because Bulldog spent less than 20% of his career in the UK, Benoit and Jericho both learned a huge amount of their trade in Japan and spent the lion share of their career outside of Canada.

A great topic for debate.

It is hard to choose only three, but in no particular order:

Johnny Saint. He was (and still is) what many consider the prototype of the British technical style of wrestling. It is obvious that he has influenced a lot of wrestlers around the world.

Mark "Rollerball" Rocco/Black Tiger. Great allrounder, great intensity. Was part of the "junior heavyweight" revolution that took place in the early 1980s. His matches vs. Tiger Mask was at least as good as Dynamite Kid's.

Doug Williams. He came around at a time when the British wrestling scene was at an all-time low but has still been able to "make it" as a professional wrestler as part of the TNA roster and as a previous regular in Pro-Wrestling NOAH.

My nominations would have to be William Regal, a top all rounder and Robbie Brookside who always puts on a MOTN if not MOTY wherever he goes, a true ambassador for the British scene. Being from Wigan, naturally I'm torn between Dynamite and Bulldog so they tie for third place.

My nominations Mick McManus The classic UK heel wrestler who had the charisma to get over in the mainstream as well. One of wrestlings biggest stars in the boom 70's era. If you asked people in street who people like Nigel McGuiness and Doug Williams were, then the chances are less would know them than know the name Mick McManus. He could get a crowd to hate him before he even entered the ring, just dont touch the earsWilliam RegalThe Englishman who has respect across the world, almost the younger version of Johnny Saint in that he can work with almost any wrestler in any country and has the crowd skills to work an audience as heel or face. His experiences in the UK are long and his work in the US showed that Englishmen can be intelligent instead of just a pair of bulldogs. He gets the nod over Saint (and Rocco) as he has survived so long in two of the worlds biggest organisations. I know Saint is a star in Japan but when you compare Japan to WWE then the recognition to the (paying) public is quite different.Billy RileyThe man who formed the snake pit and helped forge Wigan's reputation as THE place for catch wrestlers and shooters to train at. Without the Pit would Karl Gotch, Billy robinson, Bert Assirati, etc have the same tough man reputation?

For me the list has to include:

William Regal: Just an awesome wrestler to watch, can wrestle anybody but can also be a funny bastard on the mic

Doug Williams: How many times did he come top of the UKFF UK50? Need I say any more

and last but definately not least.......

Big Daddy: The UK's Hulk Hogan. Somebody earlier said that if you asked some random in the street about British wrestlers most wouldn't know of Williams and McGuiness but they'd know Mick Macmanus. Well I gaurantee everybody would know Big Daddy. Was he the greatest technical wrestler? No, neither was The Hulkster but he made up for it in other ways. Big Daddy was one of the last real UK draws and they still flog t-shirts with his face on so he definately deserves a place on the list.

Infact I think big Shirl could be my number 1

1. Steven Regal - Has to go down as the best british wrestler because his mastery of the craft and adaptibilty has been head and shoulders above the rest. Whether he was working the traditional british style, japanese strong style or the american style he was and still is respected above so many of his peers. Shows people technically and is great on the stick. A truly amazing worker who is finally getting the props he deserves.2. Davey Boy Smith - Picking him above Dynamite for the way he bridged the gap in generations, equally at home in the cartoon era of WWF as he was in the attitude era. He was always a great hand to have on the card because his inate ability to get good matches out of people, couple that with his freakish strength and how he still managed to look like a double hard bastard in that almost silly ring gear he only really can be surpassed by Regal as the best this country has ever produced.3. 'Big Daddy' Shirley Crabtree - A testament to how good Big Daddy actually was is how fondly he is still remembered to this day. He was extremely limited in what he could actually do but the test of a truly good worker is the ability to give people what they want and make them want to part with their money to watch you do it. If you hold that logic then Shirley Crabtree was very much the UK equivilant of Hulk Hogan, not the the best technical wrestler by any stretch of the imagination but like Hogan he had the amazing ability to make people care about what hes doing and that is what a true worker is.

Fit Finlay. People talk of bridging the gap between eras, look no further than Finlay. One of the most talented workers in the world...ever. He has successfully managed to wrestle for almost 40 years!!!! Finlay is propably the first ever third generation wrestler as his father and grandfather were pro and amateur wrestlers. He learned under his dad and worked all over Ireland for four years before making the jump to England in '78. There he made a massive impact in Joint Promotions, World of Sport, etc. wrestling every British name there ever was. But it was in Germany were Finlay really shined. His style got over big time for the CWA, and managed to do some tours of Japan off the back of it. Eventually he got snapped up by WCW in 95, where he had some absolute belters with Regal, Benoit, Booker T, etc. before almost getting crippled in a horrific accident. He went then to WWE in 01 after WCW was bought over, and worked firstly as a trainer, helping some of the bigger names in the business today, before actively wrestling once again. He did some awesome programmes with the bigger names at the time, Lashley, Batista, Mysterio, JBL, blah blah working heel and face, and even got some main event matches throughout...and this is wrestling with a leg that never fully recovered! I think Finlay is the best, because he is widely acknowledged as the best wrestler around by alot of workers. William Regal, Lance Storm, Robbie Brookside, Chris Jericho and many many more have said this.

Big Daddy: The UK's Hulk Hogan. Somebody earlier said that if you asked some random in the street about British wrestlers most wouldn't know of Williams and McGuiness but they'd know Mick Macmanus. Well I gaurantee everybody would know Big Daddy. Was he the greatest technical wrestler? No, neither was The Hulkster but he made up for it in other ways. Big Daddy was one of the last real UK draws and they still flog t-shirts with his face on so he definately deserves a place on the list.Infact I think big Shirl could be my number 1

3. 'Big Daddy' Shirley Crabtree - A testament to how good Big Daddy actually was is how fondly he is still remembered to this day. He was extremely limited in what he could actually do but the test of a truly good worker is the ability to give people what they want and make them want to part with their money to watch you do it. If you hold that logic then Shirley Crabtree was very much the UK equivilant of Hulk Hogan, not the the best technical wrestler by any stretch of the imagination but like Hogan he had the amazing ability to make people care about what hes doing and that is what a true worker is.

I salute your Chilli Dog level of plagarism ;) haha

Archived