Favourite christmas song

carolann

• Paid Members
The best, and possibly only good, christmas song is Rock and Roll Christmas by Gary Glitter.

The problem with that is it is a really good christmas record. Just seems so sinister now.

Probrably going to get abuse for this, but for me the perfect christmas song is Away in a Manger sung by small children. Christmas defined for me.

Record wise, Stop the Cavalry by Johna Louie.

Hall and Oates - Jingle Bell Rock If only for the amazing video

Alan Partridge was right, it does blow your socks off.

I always enjoy The Killers ones that they throw out every year for charity too. As you can see I'll listen to any old shit with a decent tune at Christmas and the all year round come to think of it

EDIT - Nearly forgot David Essex - Winter's Tale which seems to be on all the time this year on the music channels. Probably because he's been in Eastender.

• Paid Members

You can put together a Christmas album and only limit it to the 70s and early 80s, and it would be terrific. It's insane the amount of Christmas 'classics' that have come from that era. The 90s only saw a couple and I can only think of one Christmas song since 2000 that will stand the test of time (The Darkness). It's a shame nobody puts effort into making decent Christmas songs- either serious or novelty- anymore.

My favourite Christmas song has changed a lot over the years, but the one song that is always up there is Slade. So I have to go for that. For me, Slade IS British Christmas.

Archived