Favourite Jobber!?

TAP Management

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Canada's Greatest Athlete" Iron Mike Sharpe.

When I used to live in Canada, he used to get promo time on the syndicated shows and he would cut these rambling promos about no one wanting to fight him and swinging an axe in the woods to build up his arms, usually taking out the interviewer. Also I was a total mark for the giant wristband gimmick.

Honourable mentions go to Chic Donavan, Duane Gill, Barry Hardy & Sivi Afi.

When I used to live in Canada, he used to get promo time on the syndicated shows and he would cut these rambling promos about no one wanting to fight him and swinging an axe in the woods to build up his arms, usually taking out the interviewer. Also I was a total mark for the giant wristband gimmick.

Iron Mike Sharpe all the way. Constant shouting, weapon in the wristband, brilliant. I think I once saw him beat Barry Horowitz on a house show match on wrestling challenge

Sunny Beach and Reno Riggins spring to mind as well

Surprised no one has mentioned Steve Lombardi yet

Iron Mike Sharpe all the way. Constant shouting, weapon in the wristband, brilliant. I think I once saw him beat Barry Horowitz on a house show match on wrestling challenge

Sunny Beach and Reno Riggins spring to mind as well

Surprised no one has mentioned Steve Lombardi yet

I actually preferred Lombardi to the Brawler. Another Iron mike Sharpe factoid, when he first came into the territory he was given Freddie Blassie as a manager and got a bit of a push on TV, didn't last long though unfortunately.

Also, he avoided jobbing a lot when I watched him, as he wrestled in a lot of tag matches. His partner would always seem to get pinned whilst he was turned away from the ring, shouting something uncomprehensable!

I never really saw him as a jobber in the way that you'd see a Rusty Brooks or Dave Barbie as a jobber. Iron Mike would ;pick up wins on House Shows and things, and had a main event run in the WWF in 83 going up against Backlund in MSG. I'd put Mike Sharpe on the same level of Jim Powers, where they beat other jobbers with regularity, but lose to the pushed talent. Probably a bit of a JTTS.

The late 80s put a bit of division in the jobber ranks as you had your higher level guys who wouldn't job in tags, SD Jones, Lombardi, Sharpe(although i seem to remember them tagging against the Rockers in their debut), Horowitz, Terry Gibbs. Probably a few others I can't think of.

• Paid Members

High Voltage were more JTTS than real jobbers though, weren't they? I remember them beating Public Enemy, Wrath & Mortis and various combinations of luchadores/nobodies on TV all the time.

• Paid Members

Jim Powers

I remember the first time i saw him, at a guess it was of the old best of SNME video, where the bossman butchered him. At the time as a kid i was in awe at how brutal bossman was being towards the end.

Obviously, a credit to Powers at selling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7EYg8YspHw

• Paid Members

Again, I really think people are confusing "lower card" / opening match talent with genuine jobbers. Renegade was TV Champion and Pittman and JL both got the odd win here or there, I wouldn't class any of them as jobbers.

Well, maybe Renegade near the end when he and Joe Gomez were getting squashed by the Dungeon every week, and he'd long since ditched the Warrior rip-off attire as pictured.

• Moderators
With jobbers, as with every aspect of our sport; WCW was king. They had a seemingly bottomless pit of talent, and some jobbers who were better than some of the top stars of today.

02.jpg

Jim Powers for example, he

Archived