SmackDown

King Pitcos

Anyone watch SmackDown this week? I thought it was really good by SmackDown standards. WWE has had a good week of telly. Like Zack Ryder having a running thread through Raw, Cody Rhodes was all over SmackDown. Started off with the attack on Booker, which led to the commentary stint, which led to getting involved in the absolutely fantastic Cole/Bryan encounter... Which led to the match vs Brian, which led to the backstage encounter with Teddy setting up the TLC match with Booker.

WWE would do well to write that way more often, keep people hooked by ongoing stuff instead of the variety show style they often do. That said, the Orton and Barrett beat the clock challenge was generic SmackDown booking 101. Didn't give a shit.

Cole was absolute gold as well on this show, he was really fired up after the Bryan thing. He kept me thoroughly entertained during the Ted DiBiase vs Jinder Mahal match, the same way JBL used to make awful, boring shite tolerable during his commentary days. The commentators have flipped from "DiBiase has rejected his family's money" to "DiBiase has millions of dollars but still hangs around with the fans." Perhaps because WWE couldn't be fucked changing his theme song.

Henry-Big Show confrontation was decent as well. Ryder squash was usual SmackDown lazy booking, as was the Sheamus vs Otunga match... But that may be setting up some tension between Teddy and Johnny Ace, and I think any camera time is good for Otunga at the moment, he's a character they should keep putting on telly.

I only saw the Bryan/Cole thing whilst channel flicking and it was really good stuff, I don't mind Cole getting involved in stuff when it has a back story and history and he worked very well, a commentator having the bollocks to interrupt a wrestler in an interview is a great heat-maker. The dialogue and intensity from both in that segment was great and they're building Bryan nicely towards Wrestlemania now although he really needs to be involved in all PPVs in the run up, its mad that him and Cena aren't yet booked for anything at TLC.

• Paid Members
I only saw the Bryan/Cole thing whilst channel flicking and it was really good stuff, I don't mind Cole getting involved in stuff when it has a back story and history and he worked very well, a commentator having the bollocks to interrupt a wrestler in an interview is a great heat-maker. The dialogue and intensity from both in that segment was great and they're building Bryan nicely towards Wrestlemania now although he really needs to be involved in all PPVs in the run up, its mad that him and Cena aren't yet booked for anything at TLC.

If Bryan doesn't get booked in a match, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him cash in after Henry/Big Show. I hope he doesn't, unless he's unsuccessful and they keep up his build with Henry. I'm really enjoying how they're using him right now and I can't wait to see the next (not impromptu) title match.

For the most part, I've much preferred Smackdown than RAW since the draft. It's thanks in no small part to how incredible Mark Henry has been. He's been by far the most consistently entertaining character in WWE of 2011.

The Teddy Long/Aksana thing is annoying the heck out of me though. I hate when wrestling angles involve music or "mood lighting". But even more so, I hate when they involve Teddy Long.

• Paid Members

Thumbs up from me as well, thought the show came off really well and things built towards TLC really nicely.

Won't go through it bit by bit, but there was nothing on the show that I thought sucked. Each match was nicely paced, storylines were well advanced and I'm actually looking forward to seeing Henry/Show, Rhodes/Booker and Barrett/Orton. Three SD matches for PPV that I'm actually interested in seeing! What's going on?

Rhodes came off looking great I thought. Losing the mask is the best thing that's ever happened to him. He's just getting better and better with every show.

Watched it this morning. Bryan's really impressing me on the mic. Think the fans are too, in a Bret hart underdog fashion.

Only disappointment is the from the vault, am I right in saying that's twice on a month that match has been used? In general the from the vault annoys me, would it be so hard o use a match where the heel / face dynamic matches what it is just now?

Good show, it built up Smackdown's matches at the PPV very well.

I reckon we could be seeing Barrett Vs. Orton at Wrestlemania actually. They've got a tables match at TLC, which Barrett can win on a fluke; then they can be put in the Royal Rumble in January; then they can be put in the Elimination Chamber in February; and then have Orton finally get his revenge 1 on 1 at the big one.

I reckon we could be seeing Barrett Vs. Orton at Wrestlemania actually. They've got a tables match at TLC, which Barrett can win on a fluke; then they can be put in the Royal Rumble in January; then they can be put in the Elimination Chamber in February; and then have Orton finally get his revenge 1 on 1 at the big one.

I can't see that happening. Already they haven't really got any ideas for them other than "Barrett interferes in Orton's matches" -- my money's on it being wrapped up as a SmackDown main event before the Rumble, or at the very latest, between the Rumble and Chamber.

Watched it this morning. Bryan's really impressing me on the mic. Think the fans are too, in a Bret hart underdog fashion.

Only disappointment is the from the vault, am I right in saying that's twice on a month that match has been used? In general the from the vault annoys me, would it be so hard o use a match where the heel / face dynamic matches what it is just now?

Isn't the point of the From The vault spot to repace the extra time from breaks in America?

• Paid Members

Isn't the point of the From The vault spot to repace the extra time from breaks in America?

Yeah, it's just time filler, but it wouldn't be too difficult for them to dig out matches that had some reference to current feuds or storylines would it? For example, with Booker T set to make his in-ring return, they could show an old Booker match.

Yeah, it's just time filler, but it wouldn't be too difficult for them to dig out matches that had some reference to current feuds or storylines would it? For example, with Booker T set to make his in-ring return, they could show an old Booker match.

Even just nt the same match twice in a month would be good

• Paid Members

Watching this show, the main thought I had is that Ryder has to relieve Ziggler of the US title. Not especially because Zack is that good, but because Dolph has outgrown midcard titles and in terms of combination of charisma and match quality, Ziggler is ready for main events now. Assuming Punk makes it through TLC title intact, Punk v Ziggler at the Rumble sounds good to me.

• Paid Members

I'm still not sold on Ziggler as a top level guy. I think he's great for the US Title, he's been a good champion and it will actually mean something when Ryder eventually defeats him. However, he's still trying FAR too hard to be a cool heel for my liking and The Miz was right- he still can't get heat without Vickie.

I'm still not sold on Ziggler as a top level guy. I think he's great for the US Title, he's been a good champion and it will actually mean something when Ryder eventually defeats him. However, he's still trying FAR too hard to be a cool heel for my liking and The Miz was right- he still can't get heat without Vickie.

I'm of the same opinion. Ziggler isn't the heel that Miz, Del Rio, R-Truth, Christian, Barrett etc are. He doesn't draw boos anywhere near the level a main event baddie should. Until Ziggler manages that, he's basically the guy who can have a great midcard match or can give a Cena/Orton/Sheamus etc a great TV match in the build-up to their PPV match with a Miz or Barrett. I'm a big fan of Ziggler lately, but he needs a very strong storyline or interview (neither of which he's had at all) to get to the place where he's a credible top villain.

I'm of the same opinion. Ziggler isn't the heel that Miz, Del Rio, R-Truth, Christian, Barrett etc are. He doesn't draw boos anywhere near the level a main event baddie should. Until Ziggler manages that, he's basically the guy who can have a great midcard match or can give a Cena/Orton/Sheamus etc a great TV match in the build-up to their PPV match with a Miz or Barrett. I'm a big fan of Ziggler lately, but he needs a very strong storyline or interview (neither of which he's had at all) to get to the place where he's a credible top villain.

Del Rio certainly doesn't draw main event level boos. There has been few occasions when Ricardo Rodrigeuz gets more heat than him.

I disagree entirely, i love Ziggler, think he is ready for main events, when he comes on the mic i find him great, I don't think wwe are quite ready to let him go on his own yet, so why not give him a Title run with Vickie by his side, see how it goes, give him more time on his own, and when that is finally done get him out on his own.

Archived