the psmag ps50

wrestlemania

• Paid Members
I wouldn't be surprised if he puts Tanahashi as number one as he's a good compromise between having what Fin thinks of as blinding matches (not that I disagree) and being top draw/champion of a decent-sized fed for most of the assessment period.

As I may have stated in another thread, I'll be stunned if the top ten doesn't include Tana, Richards, Orton, Christian and Devitt. Possibly Kota Ibushi, Nakamura and Eddie Edwards too. Maybe Kurt Angle, if he's been active enough for Fin's liking.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

1.Hiroshi Tanahashi

2.Randy Orton

3.Davey Richards

4.Prince Devitt

5.Shingo Takagi

6.Christian

7.Kurt Angle

8.C.M. Punk

9.Kota Ibush

10.Takashi Sugiura

That I know how Fin's mind works so well is somewhat worrying.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a horrible list. Kurt Angle ahead of CM Punk despite having one of the worst heel turns in recent memory and generally trying to kill himself? No John Cena or Mark Henry, yet Alberto Del Rio gets in? What the fuck has Mysterio done all year? Had a decent fued with Cody Rhodes, won the title and lost it again in the time it takes for a doctor's appointment then got injured for the rest of the year? He's really deserved his 23rd place, hasn't he?

I've never even heard of half of them.

I think he's just made a good few of the names up. Or he might as well have, for all the value they have. Any consensually sexually active reader's eyes will just skip over so many nobodies being written about. The worst thing is, he's even doing a disservice to his apparent aim of promoting Japanese/indie wrestling to people outside the perverts. Because if there was only one Shugaki Jizzukimo or Kenny Kickpads that nobody's ever heard of in the list, people might go "here, this lad must be worth watching." But when there's an absolute sea of them in there, they don't stand out -- it just makes it look like a joke of a list that's only credible amongst pederasts, and persuades humans they're better off ignoring all that shite.

Is the magazine bigger than usual this month? I'm in two minds about buying it if this list takes up most of it. I'd take ten pages of weak anti-Cena rhetoric over ten pages of dull coverage of no-names any day. At least I can have some reaction to the Cena stuff. Still, it's Christmas, so I probably will buy it regardless. I'm hoping there's a "Merry Christmas to everyone... Except John Cena" at the end of the news section.

magazines the same size as usual

and this little bit of the news stands out

Mason Ryan and TNA's Robbie T(Rob Terry) are the two most muscular wrestlers in the national companies right now. Both are Welsh. Coincidence?...

suppose this should be discussed in the point and laugh thread though

Why include so many people that about 85% of the readers have never heard of in the list? The cover's a big trick as well just putting all the mainstream guys on the front, and then giving the number 1 spot to someone completely different. It was a stretch to get myself to read some of the TNA wrestlers bits, I honestly have no interest in any of the smarky Japanese and Indie bios.

It's basically just a list of the current wrestlers Fin faps over with a few mainstream names thrown in for the casual readers.

So does Fin have an actual opinion on Mexican wrestling?

That may have been the worst issue of Power Slam ever there wasn't even a single proper PPV/big event review and Survivor Series was actually bumped to the "what's going down" section, the Gail Kim interview is a waste of two pages and I couldn't even get through the Cornette interview which from what I managed was mostly Jim and Fin banging on about ROH.

It's basically just a list of the current wrestlers Fin faps over with a few mainstream names thrown in for the casual readers.

So does Fin have an actual opinion on Mexican wrestling?

That may have been the worst issue of Power Slam ever there wasn't even a single proper PPV/big event review and Survivor Series was actually bumped to the "what's going down" section, the Gail Kim interview is a waste of two pages and I couldn't even get through the Cornette interview which from what I managed was mostly Jim and Fin banging on about ROH.

what were there general thoughts about survivor series?

I don't see why there's complaints about lots of Japanese/indy people in it - just because you haven't heard of them doesn't make them bad. Granted, I can't say if most of the Japanese deserve to be in the list (not that it has any credibility) as I haven't kept up on the scene this year, but there does seem to be an attitude of "knowing less makes you smarter" from some. The top 50 wrestlers in the World don't all come from WWE or TNA.

But as shit as the list always is, and as baffling as many, if not all of the picks are, we'll always bellyache at them at length each year. Fin would probably be having a good old laugh at it, if he wasn't so depressed by the state of WWE wrestling.

I don't see why there's complaints about lots of Japanese/indy people in it - just because you haven't heard of them doesn't make them bad. Granted, I can't say if most of the Japanese deserve to be in the list (not that it has any credibility) as I haven't kept up on the scene this year, but there does seem to be an attitude of "knowing less makes you smarter" from some. The top 50 wrestlers in the World don't all come from WWE or TNA.

I imagine regular readers of PS (well, those that don't skip every article not about WWE) will have heard of most of the talent in the 50 anyway. I bought PS from around 1995 to 2002 and they always included the better Japanese and Indy talent, it's hardly new. I knew who pretty much all of them were as they were featured in the magazines coverage of Indy shows and Japanese results.

Far funnier than the list itself are all the people who call Fin a piece of shit and his magazine rubbish - yet still seem to buy the bugger every month! Madness!

Archived